See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 September 2012

A beautiful B&B in the stunning Lake District. This was 3 days of pure enjoyment. The B&B was 1st class from the moment we arrived until we left. The greeting from our wonderful hosts Mo and Jack introduced us to Lakes hospitality. Our room (room 3) was outstanding with beautiful views into the garden and out to the hills. Jack (the chef) produced a generous and wholesome breakfast, using local produce, that kept us going all day. Our hosts were very generous with advice on what to do and see. We were sorry to leave so soon.

Room Tip: Room 3 has views in 2 directions.
1  Thank Bob C
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We have been to the Lake District many times, and stayed at some lovely bed and breakfasts and a few luxurious hotels, but the place I keep longing for is undoubtedly Woodland Crag.

My husband and I stayed there with my parents, who are very hard to please. Nevertheless, we were all delighted by the house, rooms and the lovely surroundings. The house, along with a most enchanting garden, is at the top end of Grasmere, affording a ravishing view of the lake. Its rear end boarders on a magical woodland, ideal for long leisurely walks.

Our rooms were on the first floor and both had wonderful view of the lake. They were pleasantly decorated, and although some of the items on the walls were not to my liking, I cannot fault it as everything worked very well together. Our bathroom was comfortable and spacious, but its most striking feature was a large widow from which we were overjoyed to see two twin lambs happily grazing in the coppice.

The owner, a friendly bubbly woman, immediately made us feel welcome and at ease. Her full English was amongst the best we've had in a B&B, and her service superb. The weather was exceptionally hot during our visit, but she kindly brought a ventilator to our room. It was a wonderful stay at a very reasonable price, and I cannot wait to return.

1  Thank PeggyMuppet
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Wow, what a lovel'y house and lovel'y hosts and even the resident cat Stanley is a character. The room was to die for, a four poster bed, the shower room was modern..everything was very clean and comfortable. Breakfast is cooked to perfection, jams and marmalades galore..Views spectacular. we will be back. thankyou Jak and Mo.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lorraine b
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were at Woodland Crag last weekend for my parents ruby anniversary. The rooms were clean and comfortable and have lovely views over Grasmere. Mo and Jak were excellent hosts - very friendly and very helpful pointing us in the right direction for popular places to eat and recommending somewhere indoors to visit when Monday turned very wet! Breakfast is very good - a good selection of fruit, cereals, homemade bread and whatever cooked breakfast you fancy. The location is also good - just a short walk into Grasmere which is a lovely little village and 20 minutes to Keswick one direction, Ambleside/Windermere the other.

I would definately book again if I was looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at Woodland Crag for two nights during our driving tour in England, Scotland, and Wales this past spring. We couldn't have asked for better weather, and the location of Woodland Crag was so stunning.

Neither of us had been to the Lake District, and Grasmere was a perfect hub for exploring it a bit. The B&B is an easy walk from the town of Grasmere, which was small and adorable. There were plenty of good restaurants to choose from and cute shops to check out during the day.

We also walked up the trail to Alcock Tarn behind the B&B. We didn't make it all the way up since we'd been hiking a lot during our trip and just wanted to relax a bit, but the views of Grasmere and Grasmere Lake are truly amazing once you get a bit higher up. The trail was nearly deserted, which made for some nice, quiet walking.

Mo and Jak were warm, welcoming hosts and I loved how breakfast was served at one big table, allowing for conversation with other guests. The food was delicious and the various jams were so good. I wanted to buy some to take home, but we didn't check any bags for our trip so we could only bring back liquids that were less than 3 oz. TSA ruined my jam dreams.

The room was clean and so was the bathroom. The bed was a bit firm, but comfortable. The only reason that I had to deduct a star--really more like a half-star, making this more of a 4.5 rating--was that the decor in our room was a bit old and looked like it could use an update. It was a bit worn out and there was enough floral print to choke on. I guess that's usually the case at country B&B's, but sometimes I wish people would use simple furnishings in their guestrooms. Not everyone can take that much floral! ;)