All reviews learn something stunning location local area other guests tutor courses accommodation bedroom
Reviewed 14 May 2017

I have just attended the Cutting Garden Course by Louise Stoddart.It was an excellent course and I learned a great deal. It is the second time I have been to Higham Hall and I am very impressed with the standard of courses and the tutors. Higham Hall is a beautiful place and the the food is very good. I would definitely recommend it and hope to do more courses there.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Higham H, Manager at Higham Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review the course. Louise, one of our newer tutors, will be pleased you found her course useful. We will offer more with her in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

I have come for a course once a year for years. The price is right at the breaking point for me....it's pricey but the tutor makes it worth it. The course is very supportive. Instructor Karen Quickfall is patient and very knowledgeable. The gardens have had some work done lately and look fantastic. The food is very nice. Especially the puddings! The drawbacks are twofold. 1. The bedrooms are so outdated as to be called 'twee'. They were last decorated some time in early 90's and it shows. Bathrooms all need redone. Rooms just intensely basic. Wifi is mediocre. 2. The booking system for courses seems to change on a whim for popular courses. No information to customers prior to change....makes customers feel undervalued. Staff are hit and miss....some are lovely and some are distinctly haughty. Definitely book yourself on a course....but leave feedback so they know what we want.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank lottie l

Many thanks for your review. I agree with some of the things you say, especially about the bedrooms and bathrooms. Needless to say, we are addressing these things as means allow, and, gradually, some bedrooms are being refurbished, with the bathrooms down on our todo list. Of course everything takes time as, not only have we inherited an old building, but we strive to stay operational throughout all the things we do, and it is a forth road bridge task.
My Principal's Blog has a series of posts that, over time, is recording the improvements being made: http://highamhall.com/category/projects/

Karen is a great tutor and thank you for coming to Higham and supporting us.Thank you, also, for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

Poor value for money.... I wanted art tuition and to learn something! Anything! and a bit of away-from-home luxury! Distinct lack of!

I learned nothing and paid over £200 for day and a half of nothing ... would have been better spent painting in the garden at home watching a YouTube video. What a bore! Bored tutor with poor teaching skills and very uninteresting; group too large, no team cohesiveness; accommodation adequate but very basic, tho food nice but most staff distinctly disinterested. What a disappointment. Sorry Higham but just not good enough.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Higham H, Manager at Higham Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

We are very sorry that you have felt so disappointed in your experience of the Higham art course you attended. Your feedback has been carefully noted, as we do take all feedback we receive seriously. You were evidently expecting something different from the course, the people, and the facilities at our adult residential college. Some issues might have been able to be addressed in a professional manner whilst you were here, had you brought them to our attention at the time.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

I have stayed at Higham Hall four times now and really enjoyed every stay. The location is beautiful, the accommodation characterful and comfortable, the food superb and the Stained Glass course excellent. Bill's teaching and guidance is brilliant. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo

Thank you - and Bill is one of our most valued Tutors, as well as being an extremely nice gentleman to deal with. We hope to continue to entice him up from the Wirral as long as we can!

Reviewed 25 November 2016 via mobile

Had the best time did s week workshop with Susan Christopher coulson doing pencil botanical drawing it was fabulous The foods great and it's like staying in a country house not a hotel highly recommend

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo