All reviews decanter of sherry cuckoo brow inn car ferry beatrix potter lake district hill top lovely pub high standard cooked breakfast fresh fruit spent two nights the main house breakfast room wonderful stay damien windermere lakes
Reviewed 18 July 2017

I booked via booking.com on 1st May, over 10 weeks in advance for a stay of two nights on 14/15 July. I emailed B&B on 9th July to enquire if I could have an early breakfast as taking part in a local mountain marathon with early start - no response. I telephoned on 13th July and left two voicemails and also sent a follow up email - again no response. Whilst travelling up on motorway from midlands on Friday 14th July i.e. day of check-in, I received a telephone call from the owner at 1.30pm saying that he had to cancel my booking as the B&B had no hot water. I said that I did not mind that problem but was told that he was cancelling all bookings and he stated firmly that he would not open just for me. He did not explain why he did not return my telephone calls or emails which I found very strange. The owner said he was 'truly sorry' but said he could do nothing more for me. No compensation was offered and only after asking did he suggest I contacted the nearby Cuckoo Brow Inn. He did not even give me the telephone number or indeed offer to reserve it for me. The Inn had one room left but only for one night, not the two which I required which meant that I had to drive home after my six hour mountain marathon on the Saturday evening which was not pleasant or indeed very sensible due to fatigue so hence I was obliged to take naps in two motorway service stations on my way home. The Cuckoo Brow, which was excellent, told me that my experience of West Vale is not the first time this has happened to guests and recent reviews, sadly from overseas visitors, highlight this. The irony is if I had cancelled my booking at similar late notice for 'personal reasons' then I would have been charged the full amount for the two nights with absolutely no refund. I have waited until Tuesday 18th July to post this review to see if the owner was going to contact me and offer some form of compensation, find out how I got with alternative accommodation or indeed provide a written apology but sadly four days later, nothing. I am at a loss to understand how anyone with such good previous reviews would want to leave me and it appears other guests in such a predicament.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank southport2010
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

We booked on Expedia for 3 nights. Received a follow-up email from Expedia 2 days before our stay was to commence, confirming the reservation. Arrived after a three hour drive from York, to find the doors were locked, with no sign of life. After some time we encountered a workman on the site, who told us there was no hot water, and the manager, Damien, had closed up for the repairs to be made, as he was not expecting any guests! We had received no notification from the manager or from Expedia. Voicemail messages were left with the inn's number and with a private cell phone number given us by the workman, to obtain a recommendation for alternative accommodation, but the calls were not returned. The next inn down the road was fully booked, but the sympathetic manager made some attempt to help us; she said this was not the first time this had happened. It ended up being a luck break for us, as we eventually managed to snag the last available suite at Nanny Brow in Ambleside - rated best accommodation in Britain by AA!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tony S
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Our travel agent booked us here for two nights. I attempted to call to confirm the reservation when we were in York. I made the call in the afternoon and got a generic voice mail message was generic that didn't give the hotel's name or any other information.
I called the following morning and the same thing happened. I called back an hour later and a man answered, giving the b&b's name. I gave him my name and he had the reservation. I told him that we would be arriving late, around 8:30 or 9, because we were driving from Haworth and that we would want to stop for dinner. I asked for a recommendation, which he did provide and he thanked me for the advance notice.
We arrived at around 9 p.m. to a darkened entrance that was locked with no note or any information. We tried calling and heard the phone ring inside--again with the generic voice mail.
One of the guests had no idea how to reach anyone or if the owners were on site. We returned to the Cuckoo Brow down the road, where we had dinner, and asked if they had a way to contact the owners. They did not...and what was worse, they told us that we weren't the first to experience this. Fortunately for us, they had a room for the night. We immediately emailed our travel agent recounting our experience and asking for a refund. We were not going to return, especially since the b&b has a tiny parking area and it took a while to maneuver our car out of there.
I'm glad so many people have had good experiences but that's not true for us. This is a shoddy way to run a business and if they can't even have a voice mail with information, that tells you something.
Our travel agent will not refer them to any of her clients and we can't recommend them at all.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank anniea1b
Reviewed 1 July 2017

We had a good stay at West Vale. The facilities were very good, as was the food and it was a good Base for surrounding attractions. Two pubs within walking distance, Beatrix Potter at Hill Top, just down the road, Stott Park Bobbin Mill a great day out.
The west lakes are definitely the place to visit, East lakes far too busy - and West Vale is the Base from which to start.
We'd go back.

Room Tip: The room was great, views amazing, shower a life-saver, tea, coffee, water.......but no biscuits!
Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

We spent two nights at West Vale this weekend, it was our 3rd visit and was just as wonderful as ever. The room was beautiful (room 5), spotlessly clean and great views. Breakfast was very tasty, and served promptly. Damian has done a fantastic job with West Vale and is a great host. Cannot recommend West Vale highly enough....our favourite place to stay in the lakes in over 10 years of frequent trips.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple