All reviews arts and crafts whitwell suite home made cakes skelwith room drop scones lake district antique furniture beautiful house original features fresh fruit salad homemade jams warm welcome smoked salmon large bathroom langdale valley lovely place high standard
Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

If it's quality you're after, I would recommend this hotel.
I had my privacy which is important to me, though whenever the staff saw me they made me feel very welcome.
Very clean, attention to detail, generally bloody good all round. Will def. go there again next time in near Windermere.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
Susan_NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay with us this week. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that we managed to arrange for a snow fall for an Australian used to basking in the sun.
Love the "generally bloody good all round"

Look forward to welcoming you back again

Reviewed 8 November 2016

I had stayed at the Nanny Brow some 30 years ago and had wonderful memories.
So for my wife's birthday (she loves the lakes) booked to stay two nights 5-6 November.
Well done all at Nanny Brow you made a great impression.
My wife thinks I'm wonderful (happy wife happy life).
If you are reading this and thinking of booking a stay do it with confidence if you are looking for Spectacular views, outstanding accommodation , a welcome you think you would get at all hotel's but don't and a breakfast of the ask and have variety made up of local produce.
Oh and a Birthday card and half a bottle of champagne on the breakfast table.
Thanks for a great break and a double happy returns.
Gary and Jan

Room Tip: Go for standard room as good as any premium room in other establishments
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Susan_NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Hi Gary and Jen,

delighted we have made Jen so happy :) It was a delight to meet you both and to talk about what Nanny Brow was like 30years ago. I enjoyed showing you the new rooms and the old photos on our computer..hope you didn't get too board.
Thank you both for all the lovely things you have said about us in your review and for being such a lovely couple.

We look forward to seeing you both soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2016

We didn't stay at Nanny Brow B&B but came upon it this weekend as me and my partner and 4 month old puppy got a bit lost on one of our walks. It was raining and we had no idea how far we were away from our car which was parked in the centre of Ambleside so I was starting to panic as we had our precious pup with us. We stumbled upon Nanny Brow so we ran up to ask for directions or ask them to call us a taxi, the lovely lady who answered the door (so sorry I forgot to get your name) welcomed me in and attempted to call us a taxi but they were fully booked for at least an hour and a half. I told her it was ok and we would start walking in the right direction but she called someone from upstairs and asked him to give us a lift back to our car. We were overwhelmed and so grateful that they went out of their way for us and based on this experience I can only imagine how lovely it would be to stay here! Thank you so much!!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple

I am really totally surprised and humbled that even though your only encounter with us was to ask for help in your time of need you felt it warranted this lovely and really touching review.
It was me that you met and my husband Peter that popped you both back into Ambleside with your adorable tiny puppy. I hope you all didn't suffer too much from the cold and it would be lovely for you to stay some time to sample the rest of our hospitality. Unfortunately you would need to get some one to puppy sit as we dont take dogs.

Thank you once again it was our pleasure to help.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

We had a lovely stay at Nanny Brow in the Buttermere suite with wonderful views
Lots of extra touches such as homemade cake and biscuits good assortment of teas in the room bottled water etc
We did however find the room too warm and had to open windows the bathroom in particular was far too hot including an extremely hot towel rail
The double walk in shower was excellent and the good quality toiletries very welcome
We did miss not having robes considering all of the other extras included and they would have helped the lack of privacy through the windows although due to the time if year the garden area was not in use
Breakfast was very good especially the choice of fresh fruit and good quality muesli homemade jams etc smoked salmon and scrambled eggs were excellent
We really enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: Ground floor suites have beautiful views and the benefit of sofas to situated look out
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jen C

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us.We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and all the little touches.
I am sorry you felt the room was too warm had you said I could of done something about this. Dressing gowns are available for £5.00 and we would have been more than happy to pop a couple in your room at anytime. We took the decision to charge so that the many guests that dont want them are not paying for them.
We look forward to welcoming you back again

Reviewed 5 November 2016 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights and enjoyed it. Beautiful place with lots of extra touches and a warm and friendly welcome.
Comfortable room, would have liked frosted glass in the bathroom!
Breakfast delicious, especially the bowl of fresh fruits. If being picky, would have liked the choice of 2 sausages etc , not over generous on this.
Lovely location too.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Philippa63
Susan_NannyBrow, Owner at Nanny Brow, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the extra touches, warm and friendly welcome and lovely views.
All the windows in the main house are original from when the house was built in 1903 and we took the decision not to replace them or the glass in the en-suites for obscure glass as it would compromise the character of the house and look very strange on the rooms facing forward. Instead we installed insulating black out blinds at all windows for two reasons. 1) The thermally insulating black out blinds are just that so when you have the en-suite lights on no one can see in unlike obscure glass that you can see through when the room lights are on. 2) These blinds reduce our heat loss from the single glazing by over 85% and contribute hugely to our environmental policy.
With regards to you wanting two sausages with your full English its a shame you didn't ask at time. Most guests find our fully English with the large meaty sausages and specially thick sliced bacon more than enough. If you had asked I could of cooked extra sausages for you.