All reviews be coming here again chicken kebab family meal university reunion pub downstairs great value for money quick visit lovely meal lovely friendly staff large tv full english breakfast be visiting again bed was comfortable free car parking very pleasant stay hull city centre raffle
Reviewed 1 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed here over the weekend. Very good rate, £52 for a twin room. The beds were comfy and clean. Bar areas and outside seating areas were great. We had a full English breakfast which was excellent.
The bus stops right outside with direct route directly into Hull city centre (103, 105). Great place to as a base to explore Hull.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2018

Visited the Old Grey Mare for a Saturday night out. First time for a while as the draft hand pull beer is normally below standard putting us off the place. No change, the draft beer is still not kept very well. Hard to find a clean table, food leftovers, sticky tables, staff slow to clear tables from previous diners, Menu cards sticky. The staff mean well but clearly lack supervision. there is no sign of management front of house to keep on top of the general organization of bar service, catering and cleanliness. Sad because this place could and should be a regular visit for my friends and I. Lacks good management.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robinson102
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

After initially being disappointed because I have an egg allergy and both their beef burgers and fish and chips contained egg so I was left with my third (and most expensive option) of steak and chips. After being in Hull for 4 years on and off for University this was actually my first time ordering food at the Old Grey Mare.
It was a nice steak and the staff were very helpful in trying to figure out what on the menu would kill me and what wouldn't.
I do love the Old Grey Mare but it would be great if ingredients in the food could be looked at so it's easier for people with food allergies.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2018

busy night in the pub and staff sullen and didn't seem to be able to prioritise customers over table clearing. Food was ok, although the cod was overcooked. choice of ales was underwhelming. Welcoming interior and clean toilets.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

Our visit was to watch the Liverpool game and the atmosphere and the pub itself were great.

The food I ordered a large mixed grill as this had extra chips, for a couple of quid more, I don’t eat the gammon, eggs or sausages and all the other trimmings only the steak and chicken.

The order came correct except the large portion of chips totalled 15 so I asked is this large and she said yes. I questioned but was told a small is half that. Bearing in mind I didn’t want most of the dish I expected a few more chips.

The chicken was cold and the steak tough as old boots but they didn’t care.

Shame the kitchen did not live up to the rest.

Good night shame about the food quality and I upgraded for a reason don’t fall into that trap.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends