“Nice but nothing special”

Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
London, United Kingdom
“Nice but nothing special”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Recently stayed at CCL for a weekend. Location was great, very special to be staying within the grounds of the cathedral. However the accom is very much a conference lodging (ie very generic), to be fair the accom website doesn't hide this it was just that from the TA reviews I was expecting somthing more unique. The room we had on the first night was very small and the bed tiny (I'm 5.9 and my feet hung well over the end). The receptionist dealt with my complaint well and moved us to another room that had joined twin beds (which I fitted on!). Wifi also either didn't work in the rooms or was very slow.

Overall friendly, clean accom but nothing special.

Room Tip: Request a joined twin bed rather than a double.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TryAll
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. Whilst we were pleased to hear how much you liked the location, we were disappointed to learn that the room you were initially allocated did not meet your expectations. Please accept my reassurances that all our double bedded rooms are furnished with a standard double mattress. I am glad we were able to resolve your difficulties and was particularly pleased to hear how our reception team resolved your dissatisfaction. With regard to your comments about Wi-Fi coverage, I can confirm I have checked coverage in several locations this morning and have not experienced the same difficulties you describe. I will however refer this to my IT technician for further investigation.

James

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Arundel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Right next to the Cathedral its got a stunning location. We got the feeling that its really aimed at people visiting the Cathedral and staying for a couple of nights possibly on a course or at a conference.The ambience is quiet and formal ..its not a bustling hotel by any means and there's a large framed picture of the Archbishop of Canterbury next to the reception desk which sets the tone of the place. This isn't meant as negative criticism. Its scrupulously clean and has all the essentials but apart from some hanging space in the bedroom there was no storage ..no drawers for clothes nor are there any cupboards so while not exactly austere it wasn't luxurious but at the price you couldn't complain at all . The price was very good and the staff superb.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wyvernWestSussex
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your stay with us at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and how pleased you were with the customer service. If you are considering a return visit at some point in the future, please can I suggest double checking the availability of our twin bedded rooms, which can be made up as double and benefit from additional storage space.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The Location of this hotel is fabulous in the grounds of the cathedral .It is close to the city so there are restaurants and shops to get food ,as the hotel only serves breakfast .
The rooms was spacious and clean and they put me with 2 rooms next door as requested ,for a family connecting rooms would have been a little better .
The hotel was a little tricky to find and we were in a sat nav black hole as when we tried to leave we could not get it to find our next destination .
I went to the Cathedral which was amazing especially as a nice guide showed us around ,so we learnt a lot .
I would stay there again ,no hesitation .

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank britmumabroad
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of your stay here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear how much you liked the location and its proximity to all that Canterbury has to offer. Please accept my reassurances that we are working very hard on external signage to the hotel and are still in discussions with Local Planning Officers. I was also pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your tour of the Cathedral and will pass your positive feedback on to my colleagues in the Visits department.

Once again, thank you for you kind comments and we hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I enjoyed a really pleasant stay in a single room in the hotel over the weekend of 13-15 January 2012. It was good value for money; in a perfect setting in the grounds of the cathedral; clean, everything worked, the room had a tv, hair dryer, and iron and ironing board, kettle and tea/coffee etc, efficient towel rail, a radiator that could easily be turned up or down and windows that could be opened, plentiful hot water. There was plenty of food on offer for breakfast - cereal, fruit, yoghurt, croissants, pastries, ham, cheeses, decent bread with an efficient toaster for making your own toast. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful. The library was furnished with very comfortable sofas. I didn't need it but I noticed that a glass of wine or a hot drink could be ordered at reception. The lift came in handy as my suitcase would have been heavy to carry upstairs. I felt very safe staying there, especially knowing that the Cathedral precinct was locked after 9pm - entry after that time was accessible by ringing a bell at the gate, which I did and the security guards opened up for me with very little delay. An added bonus was free entry to the Cathedral as many times as I liked during the course of my stay (a saving of £9 each visit). I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as a good place to stay.

Room Tip: The single room over the stairwell above reception overlooks the pleasant hotel courtyard and has a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Genuine R
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, 17 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a comprehensive review of your time with us, showing future guests what they can expect from a stay here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I was delighted to hear you had such a pleasant visit and hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

To stay in the grounds of the cathedral was awesome. It is a small hotel with no real facilities. But looking out on to the cathedral really makes this a special hotel. Rooms clean, breakfast was plentiful with a choice of full English to continental. Be careful if arriving using tomtom. Read carefully the instructions on the website (we didn't and got really lost is the streets of Canterbury which are narrow with deadends. Been right in the centre of Canterbury was fantastic for shopping n nightlife

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank jude-g73
CCLManager, General Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind comments about your recent stay with us here at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge. I am sorry you experienced difficulty locating the hotel. Please accept my reassurances that we are working very hard to improve the current situation with
signage.