All reviewsbusy roundaboutcity centrecar parkring roadfamily roomlovely hotelthe main hotelfull englishadequate parkingexcellent locationgood sizewithin easy walking distancefive minute walkvisiting canterburydouble glazingcanterbury east stationsmall hotel
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Sorry to say but I was very disappointed in this hotel. It is very old fashioned and strange in decor. I'm not sure if they were trying to be ironically old fashioned in a hipster way, but personally I thought it made the place very drab. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable, the window wouldn't open, there were cobwebs and a lot of dust in the room. Not very nice for a summer night and overall very very basic. I didn't have the breakfast so I can't comment on that. But as I went to leave I found that someone had blocked my car so I couldn't leave the car park. The car park is so small and could only really fit 10 cars if your lucky and even then it would be a struggle to get in and out of it, and the reception staff told me it was a shared car park between two hotels! When I asked them to check whose car it was and ask them to move it, the very unhelpful man at the desk said there was no way of him knowing whose it was. I had a meeting in less than an hour so I wasn't very happy but it was obvious they weren't going to do anything about it. 20 minutes later I was just about to arrange another way to get to my meeting when one of the hotel staff came out and moved the car! Why would staff block the guests' cars so that they couldn't leave? And why would they not inform the reception staff that it was their car incase anyone needed to get out? Oh and after all that, no apology from anyone for making me run late.

So basically bad room, bad service. But if you don't care about those things, it is in a good location. However I stay in Canterbury often for business and I can honestly say that this is the first place that I've decided I won't stay at again. Plenty of other nice hotels in Canterbury though!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
4  Thank Haseena H
Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

Hotel was brilliant- everywhere else was booked up but this place had a room for all four of us at a reasonable price. When we got in late and soaked after the graduation, the night manager called a taxi for my mum and other daughter, brought us towels and a lovely pot of tea! I don't know about breakfast but my husband said it was good and, as he had conference calls all morning he used the public lounge area as a makeshift office. The room itself was nicely decorated and spacious with toiletries and bathrobes available. Hotel let us park before check in so that we could go off for the day. All in all I'd say excellent discreet staff and a perfect stay!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

Got a really spacious room for a family of 4. hotel is just a few minutes away walking from the city center. Rooms are clean and our was very big and breakfast is good with a selection of food. Would definitely come back

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2017

I spent the weekend in Canterbury with my husband and my in-laws staying at the Castle House Hotel. The hotel is lovely, the rooms are big, clean and come with tea and coffee stations and bathroom essentials. The hotel has a really cute garden too. We sat here and enjoyed coffee one morning. The breakfasts are good - there is a cold breakfast buffet and you can order hot food and they make you whatever you want really. The hotel is minutes walk into Canterbury town. The only down side is the Wi-Fi is terrible!

Room Tip: The 'small double' rooms are significantly smaller than the 'double' rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Alice A
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Stayed one night for a business trip. The hotel is a Georgian building right next to the castle, effectively forming the city wall. On the city side, there is a warren of medieval streets and paths, mainly small houses, leading up to the city centre just about 5-10 minutes walk away, close to Canterbury East station. On the other side is the inner ring road. The road is busy during the day, but quietens down overnight. Having said that, I didn't notice any great road noise, even with the windows open. So if you want somewhere quiet, I'd be happy, but maybe others wouldn't. (PS, windows open because there was a heatwave at the time, no aircon, but the fan supplied kept things cool.)

I was given a lovely room in the adjoing stable block, overlooking the courtyard (free parking!). Another old building, but the room was impressive. Decorated tastefully and in a modern way, and both characterful and modern. Well done. Lots of room, great shower, free wifi, very good all round. I had a great view across the courtyard to the castle too (room 10).

Friendly welcome, helpful staff. Breakfast was good too. Simple choices, but good quality. Breakfast is cooked to order, but came quickly and generous helping. There is a small bar and lounge, but i didn't use it. Also an enclosed garden in what looks like the old city ditch around the wall.

All in all, I was impressed. I'd be very happy. To stay there again and for longer.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business