“Truly a home away from home”

Wren Lodge Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Albans
Wren Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 15 St Albans B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 January 2016

This was my first experience in a Bed & Breakfast so I didn't quite know what to expect but almost immediately the warmth and hospitality displayed by Gil seconds upon meeting her, I knew this would be my home away from home even for a short time.

Gil almost becomes your mother during your stay here and she truly makes the effort in getting to know more about you and she herself shared stories of her own as well as providing me with helpful tips about visiting the UK.

Wren Lodge is warm, welcoming, beautifully decorated and comfortable. I stayed in the single room which had plenty of storage space, a writing desk, TV and a sink/basin. It's cleaned on a daily basis by the house keeper.

Don't expect your typical full English breakfast here. I was glad to see that the breakfast offered was much lighter and healthier and included cereals, fruit salad, eggs cooked however you like and toast (she makes the bread herself!).

This is also ideally located. Only minutes away from the St. Albans City train station as well as a range of shops. The town centre is only about 10 minutes walk away.

While I was only there for a week I could not have asked for a better B&B experience and this has definitely set the bar very high. Gil is the heart and soul of this place and is something she's clearly passionate about and if you want a "traditional" B&B experience this is probably the best place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 November 2015

This was the first time we had visited St. Albans, and we found the town very pretty. Even prettier was this little Bed & Breakfast run by a lovely lady, Gill, it's just around the corner from the station, and we got a warm welcome into a lovely room with a monster bed with cosy soft furnishings. The room was en-suite with a modern bathroom, and Gill had provided tea and coffee-making facilities. You get personal service at breakfast, where there is plenty of choice and freshly ground coffee!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2015 via mobile

I stayed for 15 days in Wren Lodge and it was fantastic!
Gil attended myself as a member of her family. She ordered to me gluten free and daily free products in order to satisfied my food intolerances.
The room which had en-suit bathroom was lovely and clean.
The location of Wren Lodge is perfect too. The train station is less than 5 minutes by foot and the city center is arround 15 minutes.
Finally, I only can say, if I would go back to St Albans I know where I want to stay.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 October 2015 via mobile

This visit is probably our seventh in 2 years, & as always, Gill & Wren Lodge are our first & only choice when staying in St Albans. Nothing is too much trouble, the rooms are clean & comfortable & the decor beautiful, Edwardian elegance. Breakfast is plentiful, fresh fruit, juices,cereals, freshly made bread & eggs served however you like, all really nicely done. We always leave here feeling relaxed & refreshed, & it's always a joy to return. Try it you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2015

My Wife and I stayed here a few weeks ago, we must say it was a lovely stay. The welcome we received was second to none. Gill is a lovely host and makes you feel very welcome and at home.

The rooms are large, clean and very decent. The bed was comfortable and it was quiet spot. The bathroom was excellent, modern and exactly what we needed. Breakfast was good, eggs cooked anyway you like, home made bread, cereals and fresh fruit. Nice!

The location was fantastic, about a 5 minute walk to the train station which takes you right into London.

We would both highly recommend it, especially at the price of 78 pounds a night. A bargain for travel into London.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple