All reviews leisure facilities plenty of parking superior room car park marquee oak watford st sauna motorway venue
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of March whilst celebrating a family member's birthday. The staff is excellent and happy to assist. The hotel needs a lot of TLC. The carpet in our room was stained, the furniture were chipped, the bathroom whilst clean it appeared very tired and unwelcoming. The pillows were too thick and uncomfortable. We asked for a different set but unfortunately these were no good either.

Paper-thin walls separate the rooms meaning that we could hear everything from the room next-door. Breakfast was good - although we were only provided with the full breakfast options on the second day of our stay.

The pool is a nice feature. Perhaps worth considering providing guests with padlocks for the lockers, as we had to leave our things by the pool.

Plus points: the hotel is close to Harry Potter World and St. Albans City Station means that you could be in London in half an hour. The Oak and Avocado bar was also nice. The interior of the hotel's communal areas is also nice and a lot more appealing than the exterior.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
BobBowry, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi Aliki,

Thank you for your feedback and in particular your positive comments regarding the team as it is always nice to hear such comments and pass them onto the team.
Just to reassure you on Friday I will be receiving from the housekeeping team a list of all of the issues in the rooms and this will then be given to the maintenance team to work on and improve the standards in the room.
I am hoping that you will notice the improvements the next time you stay with us.

Regards and best wishes

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Hotel is very easy to find, with good facilities and plenty of free parking. Easy access to St Albans (8 minutes drive) and Harry Potter tour (under 20 minutes). Hotel staff are very helpful, breakfast is very good with plenty of choice, pool and gym facilities are good and kept clean. Rooms are reasonable size, well equipped and kept clean, comfortable bed (pillows a bit thick though).
The only down side is the noise...if no one is in adjoining rooms then it's ok, if you have anyone next door then you can clearly hear them talking, using the bathroom, running taps, plugging in appliances, shutting doors etc..... The place desperately needs better sound deadening between rooms and out into the corridors. This is a shame as otherwise it was a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank execrusader

Hi there,

Thank you for your positive feedback particularly your comments regarding the staff as they are always nice to hear and pass on to the team.
Your feedback on the rooms are very much appreciated and I am in a meeting with the owners of the hotel tomorrow and hopefully a solution can be found.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Regards

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed here 25th March, very disappointed with the room. Small room, small bed, my legs were dangling our of the bottom and it kept moving every time I turned over. Got up 3 times in the night, twice to pick up my pillows that had fallen off by the headboard where the bed had moved and once to plug in the portable fan as the radiators were set to gas mark 7. Worst night sleep in a hotel ever. Should have stayed at home. However Peter and Harry at the bar looked after me so they got an extra star for the hotel. Will not being staying here again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
BobBowry, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Hi there,
first of all thank you for commenting on the team. It is always nice to hear that the service you received is up to a suitable standard so I really appreciate it.
I am really sorry that the room you stayed in was uncomfortable. I will look into the details of the bed as this has never been commented on before.
I do hope that you give us another chance. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure you are placed in a different room. My email address is bob.bowry@accor.com

Regards

Reviewed 19 March 2018

Stayed here Saturday 17 March on coach trip to Thriplow Daffodil Festival. On arrival were told our evening meal would be held in the marquee as there were 2 birthday parties being held in the hotel
. Little did we know that there would be no heating in the tent, whose canvas walls were blowing around in a blizzard. In addition the main course was served on cold plates and so it was impossible to eat the food whilst it was still warm. The young serving staff tried their best but they were also freezing cold and when some guests asked for warm plates to be brought they complies reluctantly.
All in all an experience I hope never to repeat.

Room Tip: ask to be far away from function rooms
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
BobBowry, General Manager at Mercure St Albans Noke Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Hi there,

Thank you for recognising the teams efforts for your stay, this is very pleasing for me to hear.
I can only apologise for the experience you had during your stay.
Being totally honest with you, due to the heavy snow, one of the gas tanks that we use to heat the marquee, completely froze and as a result it took longer to heat the marquee. I am sorry this impacted your meal on this occasion.
Then team and I have already acted on the cold plates scenario and we will ensure that we take the learning from the experience and improve as a result.
We are also in contact with the group as we appreciate that the experience was not as it should have been and will put that right.
Regards and best wishes,
Bob

Reviewed 17 March 2018

Stayed here for my birthday for two nights, staff were excellent and very welcoming and helpful, food was amazing, swimming pool was lovely and clean our room was lovely would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen G

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your very kind words. I am sure that the team will appreciate them and you will be most welcome to come and see us again soon.
Regards and best wishes