Sopwell House(St Albans)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$130
US$124
US$65
Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$86
The White Hart Hotel(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$81
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$125/night.

US$76
US$70
US$94
US$87
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
US$202
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My family and I had a wonderful stay at Fern Cottage, we were greeted with great warmth by Dorothea, she was very accommodating and helpful (despite our late arrival!) Fern Cottage is a beautiful, very well kept Victorian cottage, it has all the charm, style and soul of an older property. Our room was a good size, clean, fresh with everything we needed, plus the added bonus of a small fridge in the room to keep our drinks cool. The bed was comfortable and for a fairly central location it was very peaceful. We were given several breakfast options and decided to choose the ample continental (included in the price). We had cereal, fresh fruit and croissants. We fell in love with the resident dog Basil, who is also charming. So if you're looking for a place and owner full of character, great location, clean and comfortable, you should look no further than Fern Cottage. We'll definitely be returning.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacqui H
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I only stayed at Fern Cottage for one night but was hugely impressed with the facilities, a comfortable room with bags of character and delicious breakfast. I would recommend Fern Cottage to my friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank BenThornton-Walker
Reviewed 2 September 2012

When i first booked Fern Cottage i thought i was onto a winner but although Dorothea is nice i think she has taken her eye off the ball.I was told i she would expext me around 4pm but when i arrive Dorothea was having her hair done. Room was nicley decorated but very dusty, and in the evening cold. I was not asked which breakfast i prefered just told i was having continental which constited of cereal, juice and some fruit in a sealed plastic tub and toast. The dog went for someone on the next table which was a bit of a worry.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank silverjet52
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Nice place to stay run by Dorothea who is very nice and helpful. It's an old cottage and looks a bit dark and worn. Lots of natural wood and dark varnish. It feels like it needs a good airing and some daylight letting in. I was booked in for 2 weeks but had to cancel the second due to a change of plans.

The bedroom was a good size and the en-suite bathroom very clean and tidy but there is something on every flat surface - if it's not functional it's decorative - so there's not much room for your own kit. Needs a new shower head as well.

Tea and coffee making facilities are provided in the room as well as the worlds smallest fridge, which was handy for keeping a canned drink or two cool.

Reasonably comfortable bed, again the matress was perhaps well used but certainly not the worst I've slept on and the linen was nice and clean. I was unfortunate to stay in very hot weather and the room was warm even with the windows open. A small fan would have been handy.

Service was a bit hit and miss. On my second day I got fresh towels, but not thereafter and I had to make do with the same towel for 4 days. A drinking glass was provided which I used - but then it disappeared, never to return.

Breakfast was self service continental, though a cooked breakfast was available on request. Again, never quite sure what crockery or cutlery was going to be there. One day I had a bowl, spoon and knife but no plate or napkin. All OK though.

Location is good and only 10 miinutes walk to the high street with lots of old buildings and places to eat. I didn't have time to explore much more.

So overall a few minor niggles but this is a great place for a night or two, quite comfortable and overall very clean. I think 'quirky' would be a reasonable way to describe it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Great place, friendly service and bent over backwards to accommodate dog.

• Stayed: February 2012