Sopwell House(St Albans)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$129
US$111
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$123/night.

US$65
The White Hart Hotel(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$81
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$125/night.

Clarion Collection Hotel St. Albans(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$84
Priceline
US$94
US$87
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn St Albans City Centre Hotel(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
178 London Road(St Albans)(Great Value!)
US$85
TripAdvisor
US$202
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I've stayed at fern cottage three times now and found it a very friendly and comfortable stay. I've stayed in two of the rooms now which were bright and very clean. I had the full english breakfast; and there was plenty of it , especially liked the mushrooms! I've recommended this lovely place to my friends and will definitely be going back again. I love it!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank glam100
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I have to say I wonder whether we were staying at the same accommodation as the other reviewers. Our stay was for one night.

First impressions were it looked quite quaint. It soon transpired that it is not possible to park without either blocking another guest in, or being blocked in. There is on-street parking, but it is minimal at all times, and prohibited during working hours.

Everything in the accommodation is quite dated - not that there is anything wrong with that - but it just seemed somewhat cluttered with bric-a-brac.

I think all of this could be forgiven if the room had been rather better. The outstanding No 1 problem was the bed. It was simply not possible to sleep on the right-hand side of the bed, it was lumpy, bumpy and a spring was trying to come through. Either it should have been consigned to the the tip years ago, or someone had been using it as a trampoline. In order to sleep, we both ended up squashed together on the left-hand side. It was, without a doubt, the worst bed I have ever slept on, and I have stayed at many, many B&B's.

The carpet is in nice condition, but covered with tatty rugs that trip you up in order to protect it. The drinking glasses were filthy. There were cobwebs on the ceiling. Quite bizarrely, the room had a fire extinguisher, but it was well hidden.

There was nowhere for a lady to put her make-up down while it was being applied (no flat surface in the room near a mirror).

In the en-suite, the bottom of the wooden seat was rotting. The towels were not bath sheets, on the small side, and quite hard. The shower was average.

I thought it was fair enough to charge extra for full English breakfast, but it was pretty average too.

OK, the plus points:
It's very near the city.
The bedding looked quite new and was clean.
It's not expensive accommodation.
Tea and coffee facilities, a radio/CD player (not tried), alarm clock and TV.
Room had two windows and was quite bright.
The host made us feel welcome. Pity she didn't ask how we found things when we left, otherwise I could have explained at the time.

We shan't be staying at Fern Cottage again. Sorry.

Room Tip: Don't take room at top of and left of stairs
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Paul_East_Wittering
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Close to the main hustle of St Albans yet far enough away to feel secluded. The bedrooms are clean, well furnished and with good amenities. Great value for money! Your hostess is very charming, friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming. Definitely a place to keep noted in your phone. Breakfast is relaxed and served in a very characterful dining room. If you have a dog they can also be accommodated! Full of quirky and personal artefacts - refreshingly so.
Lovely!

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank PaulCamp
Reviewed 19 December 2010

My husband and I stayed at Fern Cottage when visiting my aunt in St Alban's in October.Fern Cottage was a nicely decorated, homely cottage. The bed was comfortable ans the continental breakfast was ample with Dorothee offering choices of cereals, fruit and cheeses and a choice of breads and croissants. The coffee was good. She was also very informative on places to eat and to visit while in town.Hope to be back next year.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mariea064
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I travel a lot for work so its always lovely to end up in St Albans at my little London home.
I ve stayed here quite a few times now over the last few years and there are lots of reasons I keep coming back.
Dorothea is a wonderful hostess and nothing ever seems to be too much trouble for her from downloading driving instructions from the internet to finding time to talk about the amazing collection of ornaments the house is full of..
The beds are comforatble ; the bathrooms clean and breakfast is free!
What more could you ask for at such a reasonable price?
Well - its conveniently located and near to public transport and St Albans has a wonderful Market Day twice a week so you can buy some wonderful cheese or bread or pastries and head off to one of the fabulous parks situated nearby for a picnic
Fern Cottage is certainly the spot I will continue to head for when I come to London..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo