“Good food”
Review of St.Villa

St.Villa
Reserve with OpenTable
St.Villa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 369 Restaurants in St Albans
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Description: St. Villa offers a unique dining experience. Opened in October 2016 we aim to bring the best that British and European cuisine has to offer, all under one roof. We hope you like it as much as we do. Whether u have more time or just want a quick bite, we have something for everyone. Pop in for our two course set menu and selection of wines or explore the options of our a la carte if you don't have to rush off. Enjoy some downtime in between work and home and join us at the bar for fresh cocktails and a light snack.We strive to keep our menu as seasonal, sustainable and locally sourced as possible. From classic cocktails to seasonal specials alcoholic or non, craft beers or fine wines, we have something to suit any mood. Celebrate in style with a private party Whether you're celebrating a special birthday, wedding reception or business meeting we can take care of your event for you.
Reviewed 2 September 2018

The visit to St Villa in August was my fourth visit; on all occasions, the food was excellent and service friendly. This was no exception.

On his visit with my husband, we had booked a table inside, but the restaurant was able to accommodate a change to the outside when we arrived (the weather was superb!).

The outside dining is surprising tranquil and peaceful, despite being on the corner of two roads. The planting, lighting and seating transport you to another place!

My previous visits have been with work colleagues, both as a small group at lunch outside, and as large groups, at lunch outside and in the evening inside. On the latter occasion, we made use of the bar area to enjoy a drink whilst waiting for some others to arrive.

I would recommend this for any occasion from a date, birthday treat, or relaxed lunch with friends.

I intend to go back. Perhaps next time I will ask to try the upstairs seating, which I have not yet had the opportunity to enjoy!

Date of visit: August 2018
General M, General Manager at St.Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Thank you for choosing to visit St.Villa for a fourth time, we appreciate you regularly choosing to dine with us and are delighted you enjoy our restaurant for both social and business occasions. We agree, when the weather is beautiful then our terrace is a wonderful suntrap and we will always accommodate table changes whenever we can, its a shame to miss the sunshine.

Our upstairs dining is a little more private and formal, and can be used for private dining which has proved to be really popular. At the time of booking just request a table upstairs and our team will be only to too happy to organise this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon, our a la carte menu is due to change and our Christmas menus are due to launch in the coming weeks too, so lots to look forward too.

Reviewed 2 September 2018

An attractive place and we were looking forward to food to match. My wife loved the tuna tartare but the lamb was overcooked and very chewy. My gazpacho with watermelon had zero taste of tomato but was overwhelmed by the melon. The burger was attractively presented but way overcooked. House fries were good but could have been hotter. I feel the cost of alcoholic beverages was far too high and the cost of these was nearly one third of our total bill.service was attentive but overall it was a disappointing evening.

Date of visit: September 2018

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your evening with us. We do take on board all feedback and discuss comments on TripAdvisor with our team. We can only apologise that on this occasion our food wasn't up to its usual standard. We hope to one day welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

6 of us went for dinner on Saturday 25 Aug. Service really slow to start, long time to wait for a drink and order to be taken, we actually had to ask. Bill came to £360. Of which drinks came to £70 and food £290. Two of the steaks ordered medium, arrived very well done, we had to send one back, which was dealt with quickly. All food very average and was considered by 4 of the group over priced, I guess St Albans restaurant owners have to charge London prices due to rates and rent etc. but they then need to provide service and food to match. Sadly we will not return due to value for money.

Date of visit: August 2018
General M, General Manager at St.Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Thank you for your review, we can only apologise that our service wasn't up to our usual standards and your steak wasn't as requested. Thank fully our team dealt with it swiftly.
We take all feedback seriously so if you want to discuss anything in further detail please contact gm@stvilla.co.uk and he will be only to willing to talk to you.

Reviewed 24 August 2018

Odd place this. The interiors look as though they have had a splash of white wash all around and thus it gives off an impression of coldness. In addition the menu is fairly uninteresting from a Vegan's point of view. I had a starter of Homemade Gazpacho and a mains of Quinoa salad which I managed to find out was Vegan but was rather boring and predictable but (all the same) well cooked.
The wine list is excellent though with prices and varieties to suit all tastes. I went for the Shiraz which was rich and fruity and superb value to boot.
To sum up I dined with three meat- eating companions and they all liked the place but being a Vegan I did feel somewhat left out of the experience since the options were few . Oh well.

Date of visit: June 2018
General M, General Manager at St.Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Sorry on this occasion you didn't feel St.Villa lived up to your expectations. We do renew our menus seasonally and will take on board your feedback regarding Vegan options.
Thank you for recognising our wine menu and we are pleased your friends enjoyed their dining experience with us. We do hope we can welcome you back one day in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 August 2018

My first impression of St Villa was, I love this place. We were shown to a corner round table for the six of us. The staff are warm, kind, friendly and helpful. They did not rush us in any way. Once order the food arrived in good time and the space that they gave between starter and main course was perfect. I was not impressed with the portion sizes.

Deserts are a delight.

So to summarize, great, place, lovely staff easy to hear our table conversations. An enjoyable evening. Would I return, yes but I don't think I would rush back, there is a lot of competition in St Albans.

1  Thank PaulyW_UK
General M, General Manager at St.Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Thank you for your review. We take on board all feedback and do spend time talking to our team about everything mentioned in all TripAdvisor reviews.
We are pleased you enjoyed a relaxed, timely dining experience with us and felt welcomed by our friendly staff.
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.