“Professional yet friendly staff”

Lainston House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Winchester
Esher, Surrey
“Professional yet friendly staff”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We have stayed at Lainston House hotel before and we were not disappointed by our welcome and our superb room. we were offered an upgrade but when I toured the rooms with the helpful staff member I chose the original room as for this visit we preferred cosy and modern to large and four poster. My husband loved watching the TV over the bath. We were there for the Buble tribute act Valentines event in their atmospheric barn. they managed an excellent dinner but our romantic evening was sadly ruined by other guests at the table next to us who preferred to talk and guffaw loudly, make speeches and engage in general banter whilst the other tables were trying to listen to the solo singer. We left half way through and had an early night but I have sympathy for the hotel the other loud party also were guests. We have decided we will still keep this hotel on our favourites list but avoid booking and "event" with them again.

Room Tip: There is a very wide choice of rooms so call first or ask to see a few different rooms on arrival. d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Reading
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I really can;t recommmend Lainston House highly enough, the standards are impeccable. The hotel is beautiful, we had the Hydrangea room and although I had to take my high heels off to keep up and down the stairs, the room was breathtaking.

We stayed for dinner and some and the food was faultless as was my martini. My only criticism is that both the bar and restaurant were almost silent. In their defence it was midweek and despite being in our 30s we were probably the youngest guests/diners by some way. I still feel some gentle background music might ease the initial feeling that things were quite stuffy. That said, please don't be put off, it's a wonderful place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
New Forest
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I have just returned from Lainston House Hotel near Winchester. This is a quintessential country house hotel. I stayed here with my mother for a birthday weekend treat. From the minute you step through the door the staff make you feel special but without being over familar.
We stayed in Silverthorn room and it is fabulously decorated wth a huge bathroom not only with a roll top bath but a rain shower!
We dined in the Avenue restaurant overlooking the gardens and again here we were treated to exceptional service. The food is delicious and exquisitly presented, it seemed a shame to eat it. In the morning we had a full breakfast and you could not have had more choice and it was beautifully presented. I just wished that I had stayed longer to enjoy an afternoon tea! When being away from home I like being spoilt and you couldn't fault the staff, they even went and de-iced my car for me!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MissNewForest
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We chose this hotel for my daughter's wedding celebration for several reasons: A stunning beautiful setting, a country house hotel with a really nice atmosphere, and a genuine interest from the hotel's management in making the event work well. The hotel's Dawley Barn function room is ideal and all other acommodation is first class, albeit a shade on the expensive side. Nevertheless it was a very special occasion and therefore worth it.

Food provided for the wedding breakfast, catering for 60 or so guests was excellent. And throughout the night the hotel's staff worked hard, worked discreetly, and with unfailing courtesy and helpfulness. We certainly appreciated their efforts. And, if you're not there for a wedding the event is managed in a way that ensures guests staying for a quiet weekend or dinner are not disturbed by a boisterous party.

For those staying over, an excellent full breakfast was provided in a private dining room, and we were able to finish off our stay with a fascinating demonstration of falconry.

We would not hesitate to recommend Lainston House as a wedding venue, or even a luxury weekend away.

Room Tip: All rooms are different and all beautifully appointed.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RichardMer
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Having visited in November 2010 and had a wonderful Champagne Afternoon Tea i decided to treat my daughter for her birthday in January 2012. I was extremely disappointed on several counts. Firstly due to a wedding ceremony taking place, it would seem all staff were making this a priority and we were taken to our table and left unattended for an unacceptably long time before even given a menu. Once our order had been taken, we were again left quite a long time until any food arrived. We felt we had been just put in the corner of the bar, where a lot of the wedding guests were meeting prior to the ceremony, this was in stark contrast to our previous visit where we found the lounge area beautifully decorated with a relaxed atmosphere, cosy, unhurried with attentive service. When I booked the most recent Afternoon Tea I was not informed there would be a wedding taking place and that we would be put in the bar area or that sercice may be slower because of this. I feel our celebration was equally important to us and we deserved the same attention, which we did not get. I feel £66 was a lot of money for the quality we received today, but was value for money on our first visit. In addition, the set Afternoon Tea menu was an aquired taste ie beetroot cake, and a slightly wider choice catering for more traditional tastes would be preferable. The waiter, although polite, never once returned to the table to check we were happy and content or indeed if we required anything further, we also had to find someone to settle the bill and pay a compulsory service charge which i do not think was deserved on this occasion. Wont be hurrying back im afraid to say.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family