See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 September 2014

We stayed here before a cruise. We had the Titanic Suite which was a great size and had a jacuzzi bathtub. The bed was very comfortable and despite the hotel being on a fairly busy road the room was relatively quiet.
Breakfast was great. Poached eggs cooked to order and perfectly done.
The staff members were all very friendly and helpful.
I had considered staying in the nearby Grand but on enquiring spoke with a member of staff who clearly didn't care less and so decided to take my money elsewhere. I'm so glad that I did as was able to support this small, local hotel and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Lots of steps and no lifts that I was aware of so if you're concerned with climbing stairs then definitely request a low level room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark K
Reviewed 22 September 2014

Stayed in this "boutique hotel" Sept 2013 before our cruise.

Great location, very nice breakfast, but at £85 for a pokey room (not enough to open a case), at the top of a hotel with no elevator (the manager had a poor girl help us with the cases), until I took them off her.

Comfy bed, very close for the P&O dock (not for the City Cruise terminal where RCI go from), nice staff, but never worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2014

We arrived in southampton late on saturday evening ready for the start of our honemoon on sunday onboard a cruise. We arrived at the booked IBIS hotel to be told our booking had been cancelled without notification due to "a card issue" note several other couples arrived after us to be told the same, they had purely overbooked. A frantic search to alleivate the growing upset on my new wifes face turned up 99% occupancy in Southampton on booking.com etc. We tried several sites and finally found the captains place on laterooms with one room left a single. We booked in on the off chance they would take us.

We arrived met the manager and explained the situation. Well he was great, apologised that a single room only has a small bed which we said was fine as id sleep on the floor and he also told the bar man to get us two complimentary drinks of our choice as he could see how flustered we were.

Later the barman produced a cocktail complimentary also for my wife and 10 minutes later told us they had cleaned a double room and it was ours as no extra cost. We were delighted, so helpful and so polite all the staff.

The next day we enjoyed a brilliant breakfast and then discovered that the owner was actually from Limassol in Cyprus where we live. I cant thank them enough, they saved us from a dire situation and went above and beyond to make the start of our honeymoon brilliant.

Thanks and if we ever are to stay in southampton again this is the first place we would book

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lee w
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here for one night whilst performing at a showcase in Southampton. The hotel is above a pub/bar but that didn't cause any problem for us. The rooms are fairly small and only have basic facilities. The room however was comfortable, reasonably clean and close to where we needed to be. The staff didn't tend to bother with us much, but that's to be expected in a hotel such as this, I sense that the bar is the most important side of this business and the hotel is an added extra. The area surrounding the hotel could probably get quite busy, we could hear some people outside on the street below our room, which isn't always pleasant, but it's something that you have to deal with in a busy city centre. We could easily walk to the harbour and to the shops etc. I think a lot of people tend to stay here before boarding cruises and I would recommend it, but I don't think I could've stayed more than one night. Overall the hotel is ok and there are certainly no reasons why this is a bad hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 nights for a surprise birthday we were attending.
Upon arrival we spent several minutes stood trying to find a member if staff to check in, when they did arrive they were great very friendly and took us up to our room.
The room we booked was a "superior" dread to think what the normal rooms would be like. The main areas were clean and tidy but just silly things had been missed there were a layer of dust over several items such as the bedside lamp, the glasses, etc. The saniflow toilet was very loud and there was a hair right across the loo roll and there were no bbc channels on the tv (that didn't matter as we were out most the time) the room was hotter than any thing I've ever known even with the window open and a fab going. The room was fairly small but had a huge bed in it, the decor in the room could defo do with some touching up in places as well as ensuring fixtures are fitted correctly.
We ate out with friends so couldn't comment on the food quality at £190 for 2 nights I would not re visit - the location however is great for the bars on Oxford street or ocean village.

• Stayed: July 2014