See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 September 2014

Stayed in this "boutique hotel" Sept 2013 before our cruise.

Great location, very nice breakfast, but at £85 for a pokey room (not enough to open a case), at the top of a hotel with no elevator (the manager had a poor girl help us with the cases), until I took them off her.

Comfy bed, very close for the P&O dock (not for the City Cruise terminal where RCI go from), nice staff, but never worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2014

We arrived in southampton late on saturday evening ready for the start of our honemoon on sunday onboard a cruise. We arrived at the booked IBIS hotel to be told our booking had been cancelled without notification due to "a card issue" note several other couples arrived after us to be told the same, they had purely overbooked. A frantic search to alleivate the growing upset on my new wifes face turned up 99% occupancy in Southampton on booking.com etc. We tried several sites and finally found the captains place on laterooms with one room left a single. We booked in on the off chance they would take us.

We arrived met the manager and explained the situation. Well he was great, apologised that a single room only has a small bed which we said was fine as id sleep on the floor and he also told the bar man to get us two complimentary drinks of our choice as he could see how flustered we were.

Later the barman produced a cocktail complimentary also for my wife and 10 minutes later told us they had cleaned a double room and it was ours as no extra cost. We were delighted, so helpful and so polite all the staff.

The next day we enjoyed a brilliant breakfast and then discovered that the owner was actually from Limassol in Cyprus where we live. I cant thank them enough, they saved us from a dire situation and went above and beyond to make the start of our honeymoon brilliant.

Thanks and if we ever are to stay in southampton again this is the first place we would book

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lee w
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed here for one night whilst performing at a showcase in Southampton. The hotel is above a pub/bar but that didn't cause any problem for us. The rooms are fairly small and only have basic facilities. The room however was comfortable, reasonably clean and close to where we needed to be. The staff didn't tend to bother with us much, but that's to be expected in a hotel such as this, I sense that the bar is the most important side of this business and the hotel is an added extra. The area surrounding the hotel could probably get quite busy, we could hear some people outside on the street below our room, which isn't always pleasant, but it's something that you have to deal with in a busy city centre. We could easily walk to the harbour and to the shops etc. I think a lot of people tend to stay here before boarding cruises and I would recommend it, but I don't think I could've stayed more than one night. Overall the hotel is ok and there are certainly no reasons why this is a bad hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 nights for a surprise birthday we were attending.
Upon arrival we spent several minutes stood trying to find a member if staff to check in, when they did arrive they were great very friendly and took us up to our room.
The room we booked was a "superior" dread to think what the normal rooms would be like. The main areas were clean and tidy but just silly things had been missed there were a layer of dust over several items such as the bedside lamp, the glasses, etc. The saniflow toilet was very loud and there was a hair right across the loo roll and there were no bbc channels on the tv (that didn't matter as we were out most the time) the room was hotter than any thing I've ever known even with the window open and a fab going. The room was fairly small but had a huge bed in it, the decor in the room could defo do with some touching up in places as well as ensuring fixtures are fitted correctly.
We ate out with friends so couldn't comment on the food quality at £190 for 2 nights I would not re visit - the location however is great for the bars on Oxford street or ocean village.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My wife and I stayed on the night of the 14th June after helping our son move into his new flat in Ocean Village.
The hotel - The pictures are accurate, but to be fair to the hotel they have made the most of what they have in terms of space. Upsides - the bed was HUGE and very comfortable, lots of milks, teas and coffees, water, etc. Downsides - TV reception poor, Saniflo toilet (so noisy), small bathroom. Overall - accommodation was fair and as mentioned, they did make the best they could within the parameters of the building size, so 3*
The Bar/Restuarant - The service and food was fantastic! The bar was really nice, lovely comfortable sofas, clean and very welcoming. All the staff were very helpful and made us all feel at home. There was no downside to this part of the business. Praise to the chef too as the food really was first class and well presented. No frozen, microwaved stuff here! Special thanks to them for finding some caffeine free tea and coffee for my wife. Worth noting that they will also give you a discount (20% of our food and drinks bill) as an overnight resident, so 5*
Overall, we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room not overlooking the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple