“So so food, but lovely staff”
Review of CAU Southampton

CAU Southampton
Ranked #107 of 927 Restaurants in Southampton
Description: CAU Southampton sits alongside the ancient town walls. This magical mix of old and new blends perfectly, creating a beautiful dining space for families during the day, and an enchanting evening escape for romantics.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Popped in for lunch and was a little disappointed. Food is ok, but for the price is expected something better for the price.

The staff though are super friendly and really nice - they actually make the place.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We ate here on Saturday 31st March. The staff were excellent, the empanadas to start were very tasty, I had spicy beef and chorizo & cream cheese. My wife didn't have a starter. For mains my wife's steak was superb and she said it was "the best", I had the Carbonada, a salt beef stew Argentinian style with a side of roast pumpkin. It was really tasty and more filling than it looked it would be.
Drinks prices, as with most establishments of this type are a little steep, our two beers (£9) and bottle of wine (£26) practically doubled the bill which leads me to my only real gripe, an enforced 10% tip is put on the bill. When I give a tip, I want to give it because I want to, not because I'm told to. I would have given a £10 for the meal on this occasion but as I was forced to give over £7 I didn't leave the balance. Don't get me wrong, everyone involved in our meal deserved a portion of the tip BUT I feel staff would feel more rewarded if it was optional and it does leave a bad taste in your mouth. It's the one reason I may not visit again, if the food was as good I probably wouldn't mind but imagine going on an off night, food not up to scratch and a server having a bad day and still being forced to tip.
After saying this, I still recommend that you give it a try. The food and staff, on this night were impeccable.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Only stopped for a cocktail and decided to stay for lunch. So glad we did. We both agreed the burger was the best we ever had. Plus the onion flatbread was an amazing starter. I’m glad we don’t live near by as it’s all I would eat! Plus the caugirl martini is always fab.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Stopped by chance and became quickly intrigued by the good selection of steaks advertised on the display menu. I wasn’t disappointed either. There’s a big range available at varying prices. I chose the rump and it was great. Good choice of sides too and tasty Argentinian sauces. Service was great too. Only negative is no draft beer, just bottles.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

The sheer number and variety of restaurants now in West Quay can be daunting but having just returned from an Asian holiday we were looking for something with substance! Cau proved to be an excellent choice - fairly simple menu but the food was well cooked and the service was very efficient. Good selection of wine too. Very much "Argentinian-Lite" (the steaks are 3 times the size in Buenos Aires), it was also good value.