“´´Utterly Stroudie´ excellent vegetarian dishes.”

The Star Anise Arts Cafe
Ranked #14 of 146 Restaurants in Stroud
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 10 August 2017

A very good eating experience, staff are friendly and the food is freshly made and delicious, the clientele is slightly earnest but after all we're in Stroud. I would definitely recommend

Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor, I had high hopes. The Americano wasn't all that great. From a machine and in such a small cup, I had thoughts about ordering a second. The croissant was dry/hard and had obviously been left out for too long. The poached eggs were very good however. The sourdough was about 5 -10 small pieces (off cuts?) and not one was barely big enough to sit the poached egg on! Sourdough was also very hard (left out?) and I broke a piece of my tooth biting into the crust (no joke) :-/

Staff were friendly and service was prompt. I like the ethos and concept and really wanted to love this place, unfortunately it was not a very good experience this time round.

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

We ate here as we're wanting to explore vegetarian cafés more. The decor and atmosphere are lovely and it has a very calm, relaxed feel to it. There were 5 options on the blackboard. 2 adults choose the black rice noodle salad with tofu in satay sauce. the flavours and colours just popped out of it. Portion sizes were huge and we both ended taking a box of leftovers home.
I've marked down on the childrens orders. There didn't seem to be any childrens menu. I ordered a children's portion of the above noodle salad (which was also huge and boxed to take home as leftovers). I struggled to pinpoint something on the menu for my 2 yr old. Settled on a children's portion of hummus salad in the end. Unfortunately it came out with 2-3 of the specified items on the menu missing. When I enquired I was told that the childrens salads are a different type of meal. I ordered that as 2yr old liked everything and was disappointed with that. I was also told afterwards that they could also do childrens pasta.

The drinks were lovely though. And water is on tap to help yourself. We paid £31 for 2 adults and 2 children.

There is also a really large community noticeboard. And the staff are very friendly.

I'd eat here again but it would be nice to have some clarity over the childrens menu.

Reviewed 27 June 2017 via mobile

I've had a coffee here before while travelling for work but didn't get a chance to eat last time so really glad I came back today for lunch.

My Buddha Bowl was delicious and the staff were really happy to remove the beans from it for me.

I try to eat as healthily as possible while I'm travelling as it's really easy to fall into bad fast food habits.

All the ingredients were really fresh, vibrant and healthy. Really chuffed!

Well done guys and see you next time.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

This is one of the nicest cafes in Stroud, everything on the menu is deeply cheering for veggies, and much is vegan. Although I am neither, I love vegetarian and vegan food, and this is my top pick for it in Stroud.