“Almost a perfect meal”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2018

Visited this pub during a weekday lunchtime and stayed for a meal of 2 steak and ale pies for the wife and I. The pies were huge and very tasty but lacked a pot of gravy to accompany the meal so eventually my mouth dried out despite knocking back a pint of real ale.

The pub is fantastic, with a great log burner on a miserable day and had a nice selection of locals propping the bar up so we could listen to the banter. Dog friendly as well so all in all it was a great visit.

1  Thank Jeff M

Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

Called in here Just before returning to our hotel.
Fantastic place. Really warm and friendly atmosphere.
Good beer and well priced.
Definitely recommended

1  Thank ANDY T
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

We booked a table very well in advance. It was crowded and raucous. We were at a tiny table almost in the bar rather than the restaurant area. Really... we did not enjoy the sing song!

The food was un memorable we had to fight to the bar to get a drink. The waiting staff did not take drinks orders. We did not stay for pudding.

There is plenty of choice in Stow. I suggest you try elsewhere.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

Ate here last Saturday, very small pub with a restaurant on the back of it. Pub was very busy and overcrowded.
We found the gentleman at the bar a bit abrupt and unhelpful and even though we had book a table for 7:30pm he tried to make out it was not booked until 8pm, Not one to be told I am wrong I told him no it was booked for 07:30pm. He then sat us on a tiny table not suitable for dinning wright at the edge of the bar area, luckily the young lady waitressing who was rushed off her feet moved us to another table where we were more combatable. I was not holding out much hope at this time for the food being up to scratch but I needn’t have worried it was delicious. I had steak my partner had scampi and you couldn’t fault either. The menu is limited it is not a huge menu but what they do they do very well. We would have stayed and had pudding however after 30 minutes of waiting to order decided to leave instead as the one and only waitress was rushed off her feet. Worth a visit but don’t expect great service

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

Met some friends there for a meal and beer. The brief was traditional British pub with fire. Good food, plenty of it and warming. This is not a gourmet place and is used by the locals so be prepared for some colorful language. If you want a decent pint, character and to see what pubs used to be, then this is the place for you.

1  Thank Mark J