1,145 results
All reviews roll top bath monsoon shower junior suite nespresso machine sunday night mini bar an upgrade lovely hotel free standing bath walk in shower food and wine standard room reception staff great room special occasion eggs benedict wet room
Reviewed 4 April 2018

A very nice place to stay, and relax in, with excellent room facilities, and a very nice en-suite room to compliment it. The breakfast was excellent, and very tasty. There was even a fridge, and drinks provided, if you needed it, and pay on departure.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Chris T, General Manager at Hotel du Vin Cheltenham, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear Roy G,

Thank you for the great comments following your birthday treat with us! Delighted you chose Hotel du Vin to celebrate your 60th birthday and that we helped play a part in a memorable experience for you.

Hope to see you again soon

Kind regards

Chris Thompsno

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Having stayed at HdV in Cheltenham on numerous occasions with my late partner I decided to treat myself to a three night stay. I stayed in the same superior room where we used to stay and I must say the room has not changed at all and looks very tired. Considering I last stayed there about 4 years ago I expected it to be updated possibly with new furniture. The only thing that was new was the TV! The bathroom is still the same with a towel rail radiator that was not working then and still is not working.

The one breakfast I had was mediocre. I ordered Eggs Benédicte and I got one egg with mushroom which looked like an uninspiring big blob and was very tasteless. However, the only dinner I had in the bistro was very good, specially the onion soup.

On a positive note, all staff were very nice and it was great to see a few familiar faces after so many years.

Understandably there is a lot of competition amongst hotels in Cheltenham but I think HdV needs some refreshing refurbishment.

Will I be back? Maybe for a meal but not to stay.

Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank 743karinh

Dear Karin H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your detailed feedback following your recent stay with us.

Your comments are appreciated and have been digested with the team to ensure we are continually looking at how we can improve and push the standards of the hotel forward for our guests.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I visited with my Dad on Easter Sunday, we figured a change of scenery for Easter Sunday would be great.
Upon arrival we walked to the upstairs bar where we greeted by a lovely lady who was very polite and chatty, she took our drinks orders and advised us she would add them to the bill. She said we would need to wait at the top of the stairs and someone would seat us. This is where the great service started and ended.
We were seated and then pretty much left to our own devices, having not been to Sunday lunch at hotel du vin before we were unsure of the procedure for ordering a la carte and the "market table" after 10 minutes of waiting we thought we'd just go up and help ourselves the market table is a great concept by the way.
When we had sat down with our food a waiter came over and asked if we'd like to order food now otherwise there would be a 40 minute wait. At this point no one had even bothered to tell us what the soup was even though this was an option on the menu it was almost as if he assumed we didn't want it.
We ordered our mains which arrived after sometime which were underwhelming to say the least, my chicken was just a breast cooked in the oven certainly not a roasted carved chicken from the bone as you would expect for a Sunday roast. We both agreed the roast potatoes had barely seen an oven and the parsnips hadn't been cored making them extremely unpleasant, the gravy was tasteless also. During this time no one came over to ask how things were and when we had finished our plates seemingly disappeared without any recognition at all.
Dessert was ordered next... My Dad order the Tarte fine aux pommes which came out as large lumps of apple on puff pastry Tarte tatin-esque certainly not as described on the menu, my crème brulee was frankly embarrassing. No fresh vanilla, barely 1cm deep and had hardly seen a blowtorch. Again the dessert plates disappeared without any recognition.
I hastily asked for the bill from a lady at this point which after 10 minutes still hadn't arrived so we had to ask again.
The waiting staff are so badly trained, I understand it was busy but it's common courtesy to ask how your food was when clearing plates. I didn't see a smile from our waiter once during our visit.
A really poor experience and a poor show from both front and back of house.

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Ashb9147

Dear Ash9147,

Thank you for the detailed feedback following your lunch experience with us on Easter Sunday.

Please accept my sincerest apologies that the standards of food and service on this occasion we far from the levels that we strive to provide our guests.

I have reviewed your comments thoroughly with my Bistro Manager and Head Chef to look at each point to understand why we got it so wrong and what we can do going forward to ensure we continue to improve.

We do hope to welcome you back again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We booked for Easter Sunday for lunch but on arriving we found it was four courses only! We explained we didn’t require four courses to be told there was no alternative, When we replied saying we wouldn’t be staying, only then were we told we could have one course and so we decided to stay. Shortly after being seated a waitress came over and her first and only words wee, “do you know what you want”? No welcome or customer service here, we’ve had better service in our local pub! We ordered two roasts which were very average with a mix of under and over cooked roast potatoes which I could cooked better myself. During our meal the same waitress then reached across my husbands meal as he was eating to grab an empty glass...no excuse me either! On requesting the bill the same waitress eventually returned and so we explained we were not paying the service charge...she didn’t ask why but my husband described the sub standard service and we received a lame apology. We left feeling disappointed at the service and food. We then remembered why we only go to the Hotel du vin once a year ...because it is consistently disappointing!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank lizr935

Dear lizr935,

Thank you for the comments following you recent experience with us for lunch on Easter Sunday.

I am sorry to hear that you continue to have disappointing standards of food and service when dining with us - please be assured that you feedback has been taken on board and reviewed with the team in the bistro. The service we expect to provide our guests is much higher than what you have commented that you received so for this I am truly sorry and would like to assure you that we are working hard to ensure these standards are improved.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We were going to London for a concert so booked one night on the way. We were not disappointed the hotel has parking, the staff pleasant, the room spacious and the food very nice indeed. We did pay for an upgrade so the room was quite big with an enornous shower and rolltop bath. The only criticism I could give was that the pillows were very soft, so did not give neck support. The hotel is in walking distance from the shops so gives a great opportunity to shop and visit bars and restaurants.

Room tip: Upgrade to a better room, bigger bathrooms and pleasant view of the street.
Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Valerie R,

Thank you for the kind comment following your recent experience with us, its great to hear you had a nice stay and that you found the team to be friendly and enjoyed your meal in the bistro!

Next time you are staying with us, let us know in advance and we will make sure you have some firmer pillows!

Kind regards