“Friday lunch time treat”
Review of The Coconut Tree

The Coconut Tree
Ranked #7 of 477 Restaurants in Cheltenham
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Description: Bringing Sri-Lankan street food to Cheltenham. Tuck in, savour and indulge in freshly made food with refreshing drinks.
Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Picked a quiet time as fully booked Friday Saturday for the next few weeks...
As haven't had Sri Lanka before we were advised have a couple of the bigger dishes and 3/4 others, which we did... Had Devilled Beef, Chicken Kotthu, Galu Malu, Parota Rotti, Parippu (Dhal)... As it says on the menu it comes when it's ready which was great as you can savour the different flavour without mixing them too much. Food was very tasty, portions not huge but neither is the price. Washed it down with SL tea which complemented the meal well. Will be back again to try other interesting items like the Hoppers, Coconut Samba and Black Pork...well worth it, friendly helpful staff front of house and from the kitchen.

1  Thank Clive P

Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Went there for lunch. The 3 of us had 3 dishes each which was plenty. The black pork curry was my favourite and the cashew nuts with peas.. the staff talk you through the menu and are very lovely... I like the style of the restaurant - street food... Also loved the music selection.. £22 per head including drinks... We will be back... thanks lads for a delicious lunch ..

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

We decided to visit this venue as everyone keeps talking about it so we we thought it's time to give it a go. Unfortunately I must admit that I'm not sure exactly what's all the fuss about. Ok, It is a different dining experience but different doesn't mean better and it won't appeal to everybody. If I was a hippie I would probably love it there, since I'm not I think it's ok (ish) at best. Because all the great reviews I had totally different expectations about it and when they were confronted with reality disappointment crept in.
Food was ok, tasty but portions are tiny so be prepared to fork out some cash if you want to get stuffed.
Staff is really nice and friendly. What we enjoyed the most was the cocktails. And we probably gonna go back there just to have few drinks on the way to town. Wish the owners all the best success in expanding their business.

2  Thank dariog22
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

A little disappointed that the hoppers were not available at lunchtime but the food recommend by the friendly waiter made up for it. I had the devilled beef whist my wife went for the BCC Kotthu accompanied by Parota Rotti, a great choice and wonderful for sharing. It did not take long, or far down the cocktails we all had, for the whole of our party to start sharing their orders and doing so enjoying the different flavours. The only disappointment was a couple of side dishes missed, except on the bill, and the sweets being totally missed, discovered after a long wait. We will return to try the egg hoppers.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

What a cracking find this was - thanks to, of course, TripAdvisor. We used the knowledge of the friendly waiter to get recommendations of the types of food and drink to go for and we were not disappointed. It was all absolutely lovely. The coconut mojitos were brilliant and very necessary to cool my mouth down after some of the spicy foods!! Some of the foods are difficult to eat with cutlery so be prepared to get messy! It really was fantastic value too.

My only criticism was the size of the bar table we were sat at which was far too small to seat two couples. I will ask for a proper table next time as I will definitely be returning!

TheCoconutTreeChelt, Manager at The Coconut Tree, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear Spuriosity,

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us. We apologise that your table was small, we get very busy most evenings and try to seat everyone as best we can so as not to disappoint or turn anyone away, however next time we will ensure you get a larger table when you return.

I see you have only rated us as 2 stars overall though, which is classed as 'poor'. Considering your review I am just wondering if the 2 stars is a mistake? If so, we would be extremely grateful if you could correct it for us?

Many thanks and hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards, the TCT team