“Prawns served with prawn eggs”
Review of Golden Galleon - CLOSED

Golden Galleon
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 21 May 2015

The Cuckmere Inn, alias The Golden Galleon, used to be a very pleasant restaurant with daily specials and friendly staff. In fact, I wrote this in 2012: “When you're near Seaford, step into The Golden Galleon perched right by the Cuckmere River and looking towards the iconic Seven Sisters cliffs. The Golden Galleon has special menus several days a week, i.e. fish on Friday, and the food's fresh, cooked well and attractively presented. The house wine is also good value.” Unfortunately, however, it has gone off. A 250ml glass of wine starts at £5.35. On my last two visits, it was necessary to queue for 20 minutes to get a meal and a drink (some areas are self-service). The only possible justification for visiting again will be to go swiftly up the steps and down again --- just for the view over the Seven Sisters, the Cuckmere River Estuary and The Downs. If both recent visits were disappointing, the last was akin to a macabre episode of Fawlty Towers. The person who delivered the food, when I pointed to the orange spawn surrounding my shell-on prawns, swore there was nothing wrong with them (including legality?). He was scornful when I asked for water, a lemon, and napkin in order to tackle them. My companion choked on his drink. In circumstances like this, it is best to walk. Out. Forever.

There are newer reviews for Golden Galleon

Reviewed 19 April 2015 via mobile

Awful customer service terrible food ok but atmosphere awful staff so stressed .wont be going back again.

Reviewed 19 April 2015

This restaurant/pub has now been renamed the Cuckmere Inn. Nothing else has changed. The service is still slow although I do have to say the staff are friendly. I understand, though, that the food is not freshly cooked on the premises. The view from the outside terrace is lovely and I suppose in the summer it does not really matter how long it takes to have a meal

Reviewed 12 April 2015

Not that busy but very disorganised staff, thought the waitress was going to have a heart attack as she was so stressed. Took ages to take our order, food came out in a timely manner. Although the table next to us had someone else's order given to to them by mistake. The place was not overly busy but the waitress kept blaming two large tables of people. Not enough staff, food Luke warm. My meal was the roast platter that should have been pork, beef and Turkey. The pork was actually very salty gammon. Worst Roast I have had in a long time and I eat out a lot. Won't be going back.

Reviewed 9 March 2015

Visited on Saturday lunch time with my elderly father in law from up north, it was VERY busy, 45 min wait for a table.. decided as it was such a lovely day to just have a drink and sit outside, after going to the bar and find 15 people waiting to be served by 1 person serving we decided to leave!! We had to wait in the car park to park the car in the first place.. too popular on a sunny day with no staff... when you did ask a question we were barked at!!! Wont go there again,, such a shame as it has such a prime position.

1  Thank Jacqui C