“2nd stay and just as good as 1st!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Blackthorn

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Some of our ducks taking it easy after supplying eggs to our guests...
Some of the various eggs laid by our hens and ducks, and regularly enjoyed by our guests.
Early morning at Beech House, with Blackthorn on the left, the hot tub, and the pool room opposite.
A magical morning at Blackthorn.
Camber Sands with its dunes, and sea at low tide, just 9 miles away.
The dramatic coastline of the Hastings Country Park, just 6 miles west of Blackthorn.
Winchelsea Beach, 5 miles, and our nearest beach of picturesque pebbles and groynes at sunset.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
SurreyLin...
Surrey
“2nd stay and just as good as 1st!”
Reviewed 16 June 2013 for a stay in May 2013

This was my 2nd stay at Blackthorn Cottage - my first visit was with my friend and my second was with my husband. Both times we have been extremely comfortable and impressed with the facilities. The cottage is cosy, warm and relaxing with the most gorgeous views out over the countryside. I never tired of watching the variety of birds coming to feed at the birdfeeder right outside our patio door, or of the dozens of cute bunnies hopping round the on the grass right outside our decking area. The pool and the hot tub are a huge bonus and kept at good temperatures to be able to enjoy them thoroughly.
The modern bathroom is clean and lovely towels are provided. The bed(s) - can be double or two singles - are very comfortable with very cosy duvets and nicely laundered linen. I suggested a blind for the bedroom velux window after my stay back in 2010 which Peter has installed but I'm in agreement with the previous reviewer - a white one does not really cut much of the light out.
Peter is a very welcoming host (have yet to meet Karen & Ollie) who goes out of his way to make sure that everything is satisfactory. He's very knowledgeable about the area, offering ideas & tips on where to go. We took his advice on getting the steam train to Bodiam Castle (NT property) and the boat trip back which we enjoyed enormously. We were even given a box of duck/chicken eggs which were completely delicious.
The beautiful town of Rye is just a short drive away full of history with its cobbled streets, castle and antique/knick-knack shops. In addition there are plenty of restaurants, coffee shops & tea rooms to enjoy.
Of an evening, it's nice to have the living area of the cottage to relax in, cook a meal or heat up a take-away unlike the restrictions of a B&B. There's a TV with plenty of channels and an inbuilt DVD player.
All in all, I would highly recommend this property - in fact one of my work colleagues booked within a week of my return!
Looking forward to my next trip there - just deciding who to take next time!!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location, the pool, the hot tub, the view, the wildlife!
Liked least: white blind in bedroom - needs to be black!
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Jackie B
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 13 June 2013 for a stay in March 2013

We had a fantastic stay at Blackthorn and would highly recommend it. The cottage was lovely with everything we needed, the garden and views just amazing and the hot tub and pool both fantastic. We particulary enjoyed having breakfast overlooking the beautiful garden and watching the variety of wild birds just outside the window. The hosts were really helpful and we hope to return in the near future.

Recommended for:
Older travelers
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
I_Lamuchy
“Lovely dream holiday”
Reviewed 13 June 2013 for a stay in May 2013

I stayed 2 nights in Black Thron with my 5 years old son to get away from busy London. We both love swimming so when we realised the pretty cottage has a swimming pool and bath outside, I was so excited!

Thanks to Peter to pick us up from a station near by (and drop us off) . He also showed us the villages around the area. Thanks to Karen to give us fresh rhubarb. Their son Ollie rend my don some kids DVD! Thanks. My son and me had such a great time. We definitely come back soon. It is our favourite place in UK!

It is located in a beautiful country side but actually easy to get around Hastings and Rye by bus.
The village has a small but excellent variety of foods and drinks. It is about 15-20min walk from the cottage.

Value Location
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
London
Reviewed 19 March 2013 for a stay in November 2012

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: accommodation and facilities
RLS71C
“Lovely place for a short break on the South Coast.”
Reviewed 1 March 2013 for a stay in February 2013

Returned home today after 3 nights at Blackthorn.
Arrived to fresh flowers and eggs (chicken AND duck) on the table, and we were warmly welcomed by Peter.
Pool is a lovely temperature - our 3-and-a-half month old son even had his first ever swims in there!
Beautiful relaxing countryside views - we watched rabbits, squirrels and many types of birds through the window.
Great location for driving to Rye, Camber Sands, Bodiam Castle, Battle, etc.
Will be recommending to friends!

Value Location
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing