“Definately different, worth trying at least once, possibly twice”

Genghis Khan's Mongolian Barbeque
Price range: US$26 - US$41
Cuisines: Mongolian
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 2 December 2013

A rather novel place, you pay for your seat effectively, then queue up carrying little bowls around a central table spooning in various ingredients, which you then queue up once again for some chap to cook on a hot plate for you, which if your brave enough and ask for advice you will get some interesting comments on your choices and recommendations for future dishes.

There are some definite plus and minus points to this type of place which depending on the type of dining experience your after should dictate whether you go or not.

Pus points - all you can eat, you select your own food to be cooked, its quite unusual.
Minus points - its not a very relaxing meal as large parts of your table are off getting ingredients or getting it cooked, rarely are you together. The queues can be quite long for ingredients and cooking them when its busy. Some questions about hygiene when you can see people using fingers in the ingredients or wondering how long they have been sitting there. Your effectively your own waiter and server.

Your place mat includes some useful "recipes" so you can make various dishes, the only downside being that by the time i queued to get to the ingredients table, I realised i had left the recipes sitting on the table, so usually ended up just spooning stuff in the bowl hoping for the best.

Upon reflection of my plus and minus points you would think I am being overly negative but I really don't mean it to come across that way, I had a great time here, I really enjoyed it and would go back again, but not for a quiet intimate meal with friends or family as your hardly at the table at the same time.

2  Thank Ptholt

Reviewed 27 November 2013

as expected , great food and a nice selection too , i used the one in fulham quite a bit and i must say the atmosphere is better in fulham but still nice food

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I've been here a few times now. It's a little pricey, but it's All You Can Eat so save it for a special (or specially hungry) occasion.

A choice of meats, fish, tofu, freshly-chopped vegetabls – nothing looks mouldy or dried-out – and an astonishing array of spices and sauces is laid out for customers to make their own concoctions and have them barbecued on a hot grill.

The staff are very accommodating of vegetarians (even washing down the grill to remove traces of animal fats) and full of helpful recipe suggestions.

Excellent place.

Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

We travelled to this restaurant last night with a big group of us to find out it had been closed down, boarded up and windows smashed.
Gutted.

7  Thank Lifeswaytooshort
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Ok, I'll admit, I didn't go into this restaurant expecting amazing things, but it certainly lived up to my expectations.

So for starters, it's a terrible social experience. The process of obtaining food involves walking around a central ingredients 'bar' and filling up a dinky bowl, then queuing next to the hot plate, then watching your food get cooked, and then going back to the table to eat. Because everyone takes a different amount of time to pick their ingredients and eat, it means that inevitably you'll spend a lot of your time eating alone in silence, or queuing for the hot plate by yourself. Not especially fun for what should be a social experience.

While I enjoyed the idea that I could have three different little meals (three bowls was my limit, you might be able to eat more...), when it came down to it, there were very few ingredients that I could actually face putting in my bowl. I'm vegetarian, so all the meat was out, but even if I was a meat eater, I thought all the meat looked particularly unappetizing. As for the vegetables, while there was a good selection, many of them looked like they'd seen better days, and the leeks still had soil on them.

There was a good selection of tasty sauces and spices and flavourings, and there were plenty of recipe sheets lying on all the tables with suggested concoctions. Although it's still a little beyond me why it would seem like an appealing idea to go to a restaurant and, effectively, do exactly what you would do at home - make your own meal.

And then to the hotplate. I genuinely felt guilty for even going to this restaurant when I saw the horrible conditions that the two young men operating the hot plate were working under... Absolutely sweltering heat, no let up of people handing them their little bowls of food to fry... the whole set up had an air of stress and frantic desperation to try and get through the queue of people. The whole restaurant operates around an utterly unnecessary gimmick that means a couple of guys have got to work in absolutely horrible conditions, while people look on, seemingly unbothered by what they see. I could hardly bear it, and left a massive tip at the end, which I sincerely hope went directly to them, rather than to the manager.

The manager - while I'm sure his heart was in the right place - came across as snappy and bossy, hovering around the buffet like a hawk, and snapped at me for cross contaminating my food by leaving a spoon in at the bottom of my bowl 'with the meat'. When I told him I was vegetarian, he said 'well other people will see you doing it and copy you.' He could have dealt with that so much more affably and left me feeling a lot warmer towards the place.

But I feel bad being totally negative - thanks to good company I had a nice evening, and away from the hotplate, the atmosphere was good. (When people finally ended up sat down together!) Also, it's worth noting that if you're vegetarian or vegan, you could definitely put together a few decent meals for yourself, as long as you're not bothered by small traces of meaty cross contamination that could occur on the hotplate. (They scrape it down thoroughly between each portion, so it's pretty clean).

The pudding which was bought to the table was also pretty delicious - a selection of fresh fruit, marshmallows, delicious honeycomb and profiteroles with a heated chocolate dunking sauce, which rounded off the meal very nicely.
The manager was also very efficient and organised in helping us split the bill.

So overall, if you fancy an exploitative, uncomfortable, strange, cook-your-own dinner experience, then there are probably worse places you could go. It's not all bad, but in a city with as many amazing restaurants as Brighton, it seems remarkable to me that this place is still in business.

1  Thank undividual