All reviews dorm room kitchen area royal pavilion short walk from the beach every guest well equipped kitchen common areas tea and coffee bunk beds short stay stayed here for nights location is excellent comfortable stay top floor biscuits toothpaste towels
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

I’ve been staying in London and decided to take a trip to Brighton for the day and possibly night. After a long and tiring day of exploring the city, I decided to check out kipps to see if it was worth staying the night, since I happened to be nearby and was honestly too tired to find another place.

The man at the reception was lovely- very kind and even showed me the room (they only had a private left) before I decided to stay. To be honest, the place was a dump- dingy and run down with dirty showers, definitely not worth £60 but I was too tired to care and knew it was only one night so it didn’t bother me. We settled up and I went up to my room. Unfortunately it had not even been 5 minutes before I got a call from my friend I was staying with in London, frantic because she had accidentally locked herself out that day and needed to feed her dog in addition to just be able to get in and sleep so she could go to work the next day. I had her only pair of spare keys, so it became clear I needed to get back.

I went to go talk to the front desk and see if it was possible to get my money back. The nice man at the reception said he didn’t have the power to do anything but that owner happened to be in to talk to.

Upon talking to the owner, it quickly became clear I would not be getting my money back. I could not believe his demeanor. He hardly gave me a chance to talk- had absolutely no empathy or understanding for my situation..he was straight up COLD. His reasoning was that I had already “checked in” meaning he would have to get a maid in there to change the sheets, comforter, pillows, clean the bathroom, etc. I kid you not I had been in my room for 15 minutes, just sitting in the chair talking to my friend while she was frantic- I did not lay on the comforter or pillows, unfold the towels, use the sink...NOTHING.

I’ve travelled extensively and have stayed in many hostels/hotels and never ever before have dealt with an owner of a hospitality establishment who was so rude to his patrons...you could tell even the man who worked for him was scared of him. Everything about this place makes my stomach churn. It’s not even about the money- traveling is about fun and light-heartedness and love and this man and this place is the opposite of that.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank Lydia S
kippsbrighton, Owner at Kipps Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Thanks for your feedback, which you and I know it is not true about how you described the place, you came in checked into the room, you told me when you came down that you sat on the bed and not the chair, I explained to you that I cannot refund you as I cannot resell the room since you checked in as we will need to change all sheets, towels and clean the shower regardless you used it or not. You threatened me with a bad review on TripAdvisor, which you successfully done, but I will leave it up the the potential guests to make up their minds and see through what you have written with only one intention which is to harem our successful business as you were very angry that we did not refund you the payment.

I don't think you would have liked it if when you checked in we told you that someone else had been in your room but they did not really use anything therefore we did not clean it after them, how would you have felt.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Dirty showers with blocked drainage, water trickling, toilet paper in shared toilets not changed regularly. Very basic breakfast (only had coffee). The only good thing about the place is the location.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Radoslav D
kippsbrighton, Manager at Kipps Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear guest, I am not sure why you decided to give us this untrue unfair feedback, you are talking about dirty showers, you had your own private shower which usually spotless clean before you check in, the shower in regards to toilet paper, we always make sure that there is enough and we leave extra beside the toilets or on shelves, maybe you have not seen them, however I am sure there is another reason that you left us this feedback which you and I know it is far from the true.

Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

Having driven from Bournemouth, arriving at Kipps was a godsend after the summer traffic. It’s a uch a chilled environment; and perfect for the type of visit we had. If you just want to be a tourist and have a cosy room to sleep in this is perfect place for you. Brilliant value for money.

A 24 hour parking permit was £12 so factor that in if you’re driving; there’s plenty of room to park once you’ve got the permit though!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

My experience here at Kipps Backpacker Hostel was nothing short of absolutely spectacular. However, I will attempt to put into words the wonderful journey that was my experience at this particular hostel. As the saying goes, some things cannot be adequately expressed in words. The length of this review may be long, but I assure you, the reader, that this magical journey is worth riding.

With all the accommodation award plaques and posts ubiquitously scattered throughout the space, I knew I was in for a treat as soon as I walked through the front door, right next to a gentleman’s club. After meeting and interacting with Damian Kipps, the owner and hospitality industry extraordinaire, my previously high expectations were shattered, as he was even more pleasant than I had anticipated!

After a few fantastic nights of stay, I had checked-out about an hour late, having slept too long. Immense guilt overcame me as I realized it was past the check-out deadline. As compensation for what I believed to be a heinous inconvenience on my behalf, I offered to pay him 10 BP to make up for it. With an understanding, angelic smile, Damian told me not to worry about it. He told me that he understood that things happen, and that memorable stays like this while traveling should not be soured by strict rules. He continued to tell me that as a hospitality industry expert, who was remarkably passionate about his career, his hospitality philosophy was that guests should always be reasonably accommodated and be treated with respect, understanding, and a sense of flexibility, as travel time is about more than just an exchange of money for a good night’s sleep. With a joyous smile on my face, I thanked him for being so considerate and caring so much about my personal experience and enjoyment.

Upon grabbing my bags, he offered me a glass of water and kindly refilled it as a I drank a few cups, seeing that I was very thirsty and needed to hydrate before my next journey. Having told him I planned to do a day hike and then go to the next town, he offered for me to enjoy the common areas even after check-out. He even told me he could hold my bags until I get back from my hike, free of charge!

I told him thank you, but politely decline. I then offered him constructive feedback upon being asked, to which he replied very maturely, as he was keen to improve every little aspect of his business. He apologized profusely about the inadequate water pressure, the shaky bunk bed I slept in, and especially for the inferno-like heat, saying he would purchase some proper fans to bring better circulation to the rooms. I was not only very impressed with his exceptionally diplomatic temperament that rivaled that of a Labrador Retriever’s, but was equally impressed with how positive and receptive he was to feedback that could improve his hostel.

Damian nicely walked me to the door, offering to carry one of my heavy bags, and shook my hand as I departed. I saw what I perceived to be a tear forming in the pit of his gentle brown eyes, stemming from the emotional pangs of separation. Damian’s hospitable heart loves each and every guest with unparalleled vigor! He is truly an inspiration to hospitality industry buffs all around the globe!

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
kippsbrighton, Owner at Kipps Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Thank you for a wonderful review, I am always happy to help, we work really hard to keep the place clean and comfortable for all guests and treat all our guest with due respect, however with all the wonderful description and great review above I dont understand why we got one star out of five is it an error? regards

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

Everything is good. Cheap, breakfast at £3 if you want to. 10 beds per bedroom. I used to play guitar every night to bring people together in the patio.

There is a living room with xbox360 ans tv where you can meet travelers.

It was good. Ty