“Fabulous”

The Sussex History Tour - A Private 45 Minute Helicopter Tour
Ranked #1 of 172 things to do in Brighton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Rebuilt in the 19th century by architect John Nash, this building features a unique mixture of classical and Indian styles, which has been labeled as "Hindu-Gothic."
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Really well worth a visit, especially at the moment as there's a little exhibition about Jane Austen by the sea which is a bonus.
I think it's a bit pricey but I guess they've got to pay for the upkeep somehow!
My only complaint is about the handheld device's that tell you about each room as when there are a lot of people with these it is really noisy and it spoils the whole atmosphere of the place. Maybe headphones would alleviate this problem. It is also a pity that you can't take photos as in most stately homes you can usually take photos.
Overall really enjoyable.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,560)

Reviewed 21 August 2017

Breathtaking! What a feast for your eyes! If you visit Brighton then you must visit the Pavilion. Truly beautiful and opulent.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I've been to Brighton many times but haven't visited the Royal Pavilion before. I'm glad I eventually did because it was so worth while.

We arrived as it opened on a Saturday morning so it wasn't busy. Instead of buying an audio guide, we bought the booklet for £2 and this (along with the information in each room) was enough to get us around. The guides who sit in each room were also very knowledgeable if you have questions.

We had a drink in the cafe half way around which wasn't extortionate.

I don't think it's a great place for young children, there isn't a great deal to keep them entertained, but slightly older ones may have an appreciation for the grandeur and history of this building.

Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

Such a beautiful palace. An interesting history lesson and great tea rooms. Perfect for a dull day! In fact so good we bought an annual membership.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

An extraordinary building both inside and out. Grand interior with extremely helpful and well informed volunteers to bring the place alive. I was especially interested in the kitchen and details about some of those who worked there. The Music Room is impressive yet warm and welcoming with a beautiful reproduction carpet (stilettos must be removed!). Evening weddings may be held there which must be enchanting. Brides married elsewhere in this amazing venue sometimes have photos (not normally permitted anywhere) taken in the Music Room too.
So much to take in, don't try for a quick visit, you'll regret it! I was only there for a couple of hours and left vowing to return soon! I was sidetracked by a temporary exhibition of Jane Austen at the Seaside which included bonnets and dresses to try on ...
I am slightly disabled but had no problems with the wide shallow stairs and omitted ask whether there was a lift. There is a room to leave buggies on the ground floor as they are not allowed upstairs.
As I hadn't allowed enough time I didn't try either of the cafés, the gift shop was well stocked with a wide range (and price range) of souvenirs and books. A lovely place to visit if you have an interest in history and interior design.