New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Very nice, but slightly cold!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Madeira Hotel

New Madeira Hotel
Ranked #68 of 99 Brighton B&B and Inns
“Very nice, but slightly cold!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I only stayed at this hotel for one night but I was impressed!
I literally went to the hotel on the day with no booking and they had a room for me! I didn't know what kind of room I was going to get, the room cost me £40 for one night and when I got to my room I was over the moon! Room 122 faces the sea, with a massive window that boasts a fantastic view of the sea, the pier and the Brighton wheel! The location is probably my favourite part of the hotel.
My only critisims of the hotel would be as follows -
1. Very very small lift! A bit clostrophobic when you use it, so after using it to take my bags to and from my room I didn't use it, and instead used the stairs
2. No disabled access. The hotel itself is a very typical Victorian townhouse building as are many of the hotels in Brighton, and has stairs going up to the main entrance. I certainly would not like to attempt the stairs with a wheel chair or a buggy! Even if you did manage the stairs outside, it wouldn't surprise me if buggys or wheel chairs couldn't fit in the lift.
3. This is a very little thing but the shower is fantastic, good and powerful and easy to use, however a little mould between the tiles at the bottom. I know that this is a hard thing to tackle, but would make a difference to the appearance!
4. But I think my biggest issue was this - the massive window that had the fantastic view was made out of wood and there was evidence of wood rot. Also the window itself was just single glazed so there was a bit of noise from the road outside. It didn't wake me in the night, but is still not something I really want to hear! Another issue of single glazing is that when I was there the weather in the morning was pretty awful, we are talking rain wind the lot, and the window lost a lot of heat, despite turning up the radiator full blast I was still cold! I think it wouldn't be a problem in the summer, but in the winter dig out the jumpers!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

This hotel was great for a night out in Brighton... Great location right next to Brighton peer and within walking distance of shops/clubs. The room was basic but clean. We had a tripple room which was fairly big, but the double rooms I saw looked quite small. Also, the rooms next to the Funky Fish Club were very noisy!The breakfast in the morning was just what we needed after a night out!

The rooms were good value when booked in advance - would not pay the prices they have listed in their reception/website!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor at the back - next to the Funky Fish Club!!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

The hotels location is superb. Room was ok, three of us just staying the one night.Breakfast was fine and the price for the one night was very good. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I will stay there again, should i visit Brighton again. Jonesy, Leicestershire.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Paid £30 for a single room online in advance which was good value for somewhere to stay after a night out in Brighton. Reception staff were friendly enough and room and bathroom were sufficient - carpet had stains and wasn't attached but everything else was alright. Very noisy until 3am and some charming grunting couple above woke me up at 7am with their lovefest, I thought the ceiling might fall in. Don't expect a lie in - people walking down the stairs in the morning will wake you up as it sounds like they are stomping through your room. You get what you pay for and if you just want somewhere cheap to stay then the New Madeira is perfectly adequate. If you want to take your man/lady/manlady somewhere romantic, avoid unless you want to get dumped.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sh1989

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Newmarket, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

My wife and booked into this hotel for two nights. We saw our room and left. The hotel should not have a fire certificate. The room was not clean. We stayed at the Albion and paid twice for our stay in Brighton.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple