“Good on all levels”
Review of The Walrus

The Walrus
Ranked #204 of 1,217 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Description: The ground floor, with its open fire, snug and booths, is cosy and intimate. It’s the perfect atmosphere to enjoy a pint, glass of wine or, equally, a coffee and a chat. Wander upstairs, bask with Gregory in our bright, high ceilinged, airy restaurant; offering some of the best seasonal, classic and contemporary dishes in Brighton.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

The ground floor is a friendly bar serving good quality real ales. On the next floor is the formal dining area and the higher 2 floors are roof gardens. An unusual combination but it works very well. We had a beer downstairs followed by a meal on the next level. Good food and service. From the outside, the Walrus looks like a typical back street boozer - don't be fooled.

1  Thank DaveGTW

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

My mum and I stopped in here for lunch on Mother's Day - we were actually visiting friends and hadn't actually planned anything for lunch but chose The Walrus as our friends had been there for drinks the previous night and had recommended it. I was impressed at how friendly and accommodating the staff were, considering we were walk-ins on a very busy day! I instantly fell in love with the decor - love the William Morris wallpaper, and the loos are fab! I had the roast beef, and I can honestly say it was the best roast beef I have ever tasted. Beautifully cooked vegetables, quick service, again considering it was very busy; again staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. All in all one of the most delightful and delicious meals I have ever had!

1  Thank Ellen P
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We came here on Easter Sunday and whilst booked up the staff kindly found us a table in the bar area and provided table service.
I love this pub, it's really well maintained and decorated with quirky, individual pieces, which in partnership with a great atmosphere gives a great vibe. I only had a brief glance at the restaurant upstairs but it had lovely decor that really made the most of the old building.
The service was quick and really friendly, and the prices were reasonable for Brighton. The roast was delicious and definitely as good as having one at home, which can often not be said about a pub roast.
We were only sorry we couldn't stay too long as we were meeting friends, we could have happily stayed until last orders.
If we are ever back in Brighton we will certainly pop in.

1  Thank caitlin92711
Reviewed 31 March 2018

If you are in Brighton and you want a sure bet this is the pub for you.Good service,wide choice bars and seating areas and the food is tasty and wholesome.We have all done the traipsing round the wet cobbled streets looking for a good pub,this is it!

1  Thank dennis2456
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

As a coeliac I often feel disappointed that I can’t eat fish and chips in the centre of Brighton but I saw on a blogpost that the walrus serves gluten free food so I popped in to speak to a member of staff who checked with the chef if the gf haddock and chips were suitable for a coeliac, and thankfully they were!! The batter was made using gluten free beer and the haddock and chips were delicious, the pub had a lovely old school atmosphere about it and was nicely decorated with good service. I would recommend.