“awful”

The Queensbury Hotel
Reviewed 22 February 2011

booked this hotel early for 3 nights arrived given keys looked at the number was not shown where to go found out 4 flights of stairs im asthmatic so a struggle for me room ok could be better next door to the bathroom could hear everbody going doors slamming breakfast well what breakfast plastic cheese and ham luke warm water for coffee kiddies pick and mix sugary cearals apple or orange juice that was all if you got there quick enough breakfast room no room to swing a cat in very small for the amount of guests staying young girl handling the bread with her hands not good when having breakfast to get up and make a drink etc young girl whips your things away before you have even started etc for the next lot of guests will not be going back said goodbye to the staff but got ingnored

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KentSarah1

Reviewed 8 February 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights from the 4th to the 7th Feb 2011. We paid £69 per night B&B which is a complete rip-off. Issues are:

1. We paid for a 'full en-suite' which had a pre-fabricated shower room and loo in a 'box' inside the double bedroom. The shower was tiny and did not extend to reach the height of a 6ft male!

2. The sink wasn't in the en-suite and was actually in the bedroom and couldn't be used properly because the dressing table was in the way!

3. The bed was as hard as nails and the pillows the size and thickness of an A4 sheet of paper!

Continental breakfast (not shown as such on the Late Rooms Reservation Form and only found out once we arrived after expecting a Full English Breakfast) was a 'buffet' and consisted of either brown or white plastic bread, cereals, slices of tinned ham or cheese, butter and marmalade/nutella packs oh and tubes of do-it-yourself Nescafe granules or tea bags! All self-service with not a boiled egg or Danish Pastry in site. They do offer a £5 voucher to have a cooked breakfast in the Regency restaurant opposite, which we tried once but wouldn't recommend that either!

This hotel needs to up its game considerably especiallyy as there are much better hotels in the vicinty of Regency Square who are not stuck in the typical 60s seaside B&B residence as the Queensbury currently is!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank splashman50
Reviewed 25 November 2010

We booked in at about 4pm in the afternoon we were shown to our room on the top floor it was less than good, as we were only staying one night we decided it would do, however we left just after midnight as it was so noisy and the smell of smoke was just too much, the beds were lumpy and very very old I have thrown better beds away, it was cheap but bad very very bad value. I would rather sleep in the car than stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Andy P
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Me and my partner have stayed the the queensbury hotel twice. the first time in september 2008. we stayed a room on the first floor and although the room wasn't on suite the bathroom was only opposite. the room was very clean and tidy. The room was a perfect size for 2 people. At the end of the day your not going to be spending the day in your hotel room when your on the seafront! for a double room it cost us £55 which i thought was brilliant!
The second time we stayed was only this weekend! we stayed on the ground floor in a double room, it had wardrobe/drawes a sofa and an armchair with television and freeview! the room also had an en-suit and although small it was clean. We found the gentleman at the desk helpful/friendly and polite. The room again only cost us £55 for the night.

we didn't stay for breakfast either time but the hotel offers continental breakfast with the price. they also had a deal with a very close cafe for cooked breakfast for £5 a person which was good too : )

the hotel was clean and great value! it was about a 10 minute walk to the pier.

the hotel didn't appear to have parking but we parked in a secure car parking site around the corner. for £15 for the day and the night which is great value

i would recommend this hotel to friends and me and my partner plan to make our trip to brighton and this hotel an annual trip

: )

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2010

When I booked this hotel, I went for the location which is great. Shame I didn't read the earlier reviews about the quality of the rooms / service.

Stayed 3 nights in a family suite in the basement with little natural light. This was 1 room with 1 double and 2 single beds plus adjoining bathroom (at least we didn't have to use the shared bathroom down the hall). Our bathroom contained a tiny shower cubicle which I had to literally squeeze into. I found it impossible to bend down to pick up the soap if I dropped it. The bathroom contained an extractor fan which I couldn't switch off as I lay awake at night listening to the whirring. The mattress on the double bed was terrible. Both me and my wife had terrible backache each morning and could hardly stand up. My right arm felt as if it was bruised after lying on the hard edge of the mattress.

The continental breakfast was reasonable but the room turned into a bit of an assault course when it started to fill up. The room was packed with tables and chairs with little space in between. This made it extremely difficult to get past when people sat down. Perhaps this was a ploy to get guests to pay an extra £5pp for a cooked breakfast at the cafe across the road.

Good location but the owners need to invest in new matresses. Even then, I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family