New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Don't regret the selection but won't go back.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Queensbury Hotel

The Queensbury Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Don't regret the selection but won't go back.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

We were a last minute family traveling to Brighton. As you may know, it can be a bit tricky finding hotel rooms that can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children, without buying 2 separate rooms. So, we were ok to select the reasonably priced 1.5 star hotel as figured we could endure 1 night so long as we were together. Overall, the hotel, which is in a super location, is actually fine. It has a very pleasant, simple feel. In fact, our room, while on the lower ground floor (which I despise), looked fairly decent and was surprisingly spacious. It had NO art or decoration on the walls except for 1 long mirror and while the furniture was clearly low quality it looked alright in the room. The carpet was in need of replacement. The beds were just fine. The bedding looked clean. The bathroom was definitely creepers... The shower was a tiny, junky box. The shower head would not stay in its holder and looked slimy. The wall did have markings on it and the floor had tons of old moldy stains which, I suspect, came from the shower not draining properly and spilling out on to the floor. I showered after a day at the beach but decided to forgo it the day of departure. Also, the base boards in the bathroom were so dust infected, I am sure they had never been cleaned. On a positive note, the sink, toilet and bathroom fixtures looked brand new! Lastly, the breakfast at the hotel was just juice, coffee/tea, cereal and bread. Very basic. Unfortunately we paid £20, via Octopus Travel, more on our reservation for that. No good. So, again, it was fine for 1 night, but we will not plan to go back. We were ready to get out of there in the morning! While I will not answer yes to the "will you recommend it" question, I think if the price is right, you could give the hotel a try and probably be ok for a night or two.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ibakeyummycakes7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

I stayed here overnight with some friends and admittedly I'm a bit fussy about accomodation. The hotel is set on a nice big square with a large green and great sea views plus three levels of underground parking (although stairwells reeked of urine).

Reception and stairwells looked nice and rooms had lovely high ceilings and chandeliers. Our room contained a single bed and a double bed - I slept in the double and found it to be no more or less comfortable than e.g. a Premier Inn bed. I slept like a log, although that was more due to the walk around Brighton and not the comfort of the bed. The pillows and duvet were thin but there were plenty of lovely white towels provided.

On closer inspection, two lightbulbs were out and the whole chandelier was very cobwebbed. The windows had very rickety old shutters that took some effort to open but the sea view was pleasant. Bathroom left a lot to be desired. I thought there was a moth in the shower so I didn't use it but my friend, who did use the shower, identified the moth as a mouldy piece of tape! Yummy. Everything in the bathroom worked OK but the walls were a dingy grey colour and had what I hoped were water marks on the wall, but I fear they were not. There was also an unsightly gap between the shower and wall filled with fluff and dust and the sliding door that separated the bathroom from the bedroom had gaps around it.

However, we were lucky to have a bathroom and ours friends had a shower but no toilet and so ended up using a bathroom on the landing. Breakfast was OK. My tea tasted a little odd and the cheese and ham were a bit plastic. However there was plenty of toast and cereals and juices. Staff were pleasant.

I don't think I would come back but it is OK for people on a budget and/or with low expectations.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank pro_extra
Hyde Heath, Buckinghamshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2011

What a shame that this hotel isn't a little bit better. We loved our beautiful regency room with ceiling to floor windows and extravagant curtains etc. The location is spot on and the service was very friendly. Would love to say I would go back but the en suite was really terrible - the shower didn't work at all with very intermittent trickles of hot water but mostly just cold. Also if you have children there is nowhere to go after they go to bed - so we ended up going to bed very early. We avoided the breakfast after reading previous reviews so can't commentl

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Newbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

I had such high hopes for our what I thought was a mini luxury hotel break.
the building is lovely and the room itself fine, apart from the fact that the window on the ground floor suite ( I thought we had the Superior suit on the first floor with view, as it states that on the booking form) is frosted and faces a block of flats and wall.
Sooo dissapointed with the bathroom, cheap fittings from B and Q cracked sink and the loo sit lose, which wasent good as it is such a small fit if we have been overweight would never have been able to use it. My husband was annoyed as we paid £99.00 for this room, he asked the chap that booked us in if we had the right room, as the answer was yes ! he was told that it was because it was the weekend !!!!!! it would normaly be £45.00.......
having said that we had a good night out and I did sleep...possibly alcahol induced though.
I only realised it was continental breakfast after booking it, which I thought ok we stay in France a lot ..but as previous people have said the ham and cheese tasteless and would have expected fruit yoghurts etc... they need to up the game a bit as it could be good.
The general feeling was that the hotel and staff tired and you have to help yourself.
sadly would not recomend and will not return.
I would not normaly complain over picky things but we are not afluent and this was a little treat !!!!!!

Room Tip: good location
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ElaineNewbury
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2011

Went with a friend & we shared a twin room for 1 night which came to £39 for the both of us, including breakfast! Bargin! The room was a good size, and clean & tidy. Theres a shower which is in the room & the doors are frosted - so it doesn't give a lot of privacy. The shower is quite small too! The toilet is further up the coridoor and is shared with a few other rooms.
This b&b is in a great location, about a 10min walk from the train station, 5mins from town centre & 10mins away from the pier and sealife centre.
All in all there may be 1 or 2 minor niggles but i feel it was denatly worth the money we paid.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends