“Cappuccino & Cake”
Review of Cherry Tree

Cherry Tree
Ranked #422 of 1,217 Restaurants in Brighton
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Whenever my husband & I visit the Marina we always go to The Cherry Tree for a treat. On our last visit we ordered our usual (delicious) cappuccinos and the last slice of Lemon Drizzle cake. WOW it was fantastic, moist and tangy and definitely the best we've tasted. There is a cosy atmosphere and the staff are always friendly and helpful. Thank you. Jenny & Eddy.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

Just off the plane from Aus. Had a wonderful egg breakfast and Aussy style flat white coffee. Perfect.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Went in for a cup of coffee with my friend and her daughter on Saturday afternoon. We ordered 2 coffees and a piece of Victoria sponge and lemon drizzle. Started eating the lemon drizzle and found it to be very crumbly and in my opinion a bit dry, my friend also tasted it and agreed with me. I decided to tell one of the waitresses what my thoughts were. She took the cake to the back and a lady appeared (which I then found out is the owner) a few moments later. Instead of apologising nicely that I didn't like it, she proceeded to tell me that it wasn't dry and that she makes and eats them and was surprised that I did. She then told me that it was vegan and gluten free and that may be the reason it has a different texture.

The waitress that took my order, didn't tell me that it was gluten free (I had asked about a Oreo brownie that was next to the lemon drizzle and she only mentioned that it was vegan but didn't mention that was the case for the lemon drizzle and certainly didn't tell me it was gluten free). I conveyed this information to the owner and she told me that she would have definitely told me, I once again said that this wasn't the case and I wasn't aware of this. She kept insisting that it wasn't dry, she asked if I wanted anything else but I declined as I was very put off by her attitude towards me and didn't want anything else. I expected her to offer me a refund which she didn't do and then just walked back to the kitchen.

I decided I wanted to write a review and asked one of the waitresses if the lady was the owner and she said yes. Then a few moments later the owner appeared again and said I'm sorry but I did try and remedy the situation by asking if you wanted something else. I told her that her manners and behaviour towards a customer was very bad and that is not how you give good customer service. She then asked what else she could have done? I said, give me my money back to which she replied if you went into Asda and took back something you didn't like that was half eaten, would they refund me? I answered yes they would to which she replied no they wouldn't...she then very rudely said ok fine I'll give your money back, went to the till and gave me my £2.50 back. It wasn't about the money as it was only £2.50 but it's the principle and that you should always keep the customer happy.

I would never go back there and won't recommend it to anybody. I couldn't believe how rude the owner was, worst customer service I've ever encountered

1  Thank _e2018m
Reviewed 19 February 2018

We sat outside on a sunny day here. We were served quickly by friendly staff. We chose hot chocolate with cream & a coffee for hubby. We also had the fruit loaf each & found it moist, tasty & lovely. Prices are good & the tasty treats are varied. They have a delicious menu on offer & the café is nice & clean.
When we are in the area again we won't be walking past! - well done

1  Thank Diane S
Reviewed 12 February 2018

I visited this cafe today , and had eggs benedict , best I've ever had , coffee was excellent , nice and hot. I followed this with a chocolate brownie , very tasty . Would definatly go there again.