All reviews no lift night porter car park complimentary newspaper creaky floors lovely hotel honeymoon suite kippers four poster bed bottled water third floor courtyard room lovely room central location eggs benedict family room waiting staff
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Comfy bar, and hotel seems to have been recently refurbished. Medium sized town centre hotel with a good feel to it. The excellent staff were busy all the time, sometimes multitasking from reception to the bar. Car park only 8 cars but long stay public car park nearby is fine. Buy a £4 ticket for 24 hours and the hotel refund so no problem. The restaurant menu I would describe as unexciting. But reading the reviews it was not always like this and chefs come and go. The restaurant itself is quite pleasant. Anyway, plenty of other options yards away - Wetherspoons for cheap breakfast, up market Indian opposite, Thai next door with lots of plastic flowers, and chain options like PizzaExpress about ten mins walk at the Brewery complex. Dorchester is a central location for lots of interesting things. And if you are interested in town planning go look at Poundbury, a mile away - Prince Charles' development

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Manager W, Manager at Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear Neil H

Thank you for taking the time to rate the Wessex Royale Hotel so highly. We look forward to giving you a warm welcome on your return visit.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

The staff were amazing. The chef at this hotel cooked beautiful food. Portion sizes were excellent and each course was beautifully presented! A varied and appealing menu.
The staff looked after the group really well and were very accommodating. We had a private room to ourselves which was perfect for our family get together. Nothing was too much trouble! I highly recommend this place!

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Manager W, Manager at Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Dear Jane C

Thank you for your lovely comments and recommendation. Great to see the birthday celebrations went well. We look forward to giving you a warm welcome on your next visit.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Excellent hotel. Room very clean and well equipped ie blinds and curtains, desk fan, bottled water, hot chocolate, box truffles. Location good, near to places to eat. Breakfast really good, best yoghurt ever, hot food cooked to order. Staff very welcoming. Would certainly recommend this as a place to stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Manager W, Manager at Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear christine p

Thank you for your lovely comments, high rating and recommendation. We look forward to giving you a warm welcome on your return view.

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

My partner and I booked in for 2 nights bed and breakfast in a double room.
We were looking forward to our break until we got to the reception to book in .A Receptionist with a very annoying atitude told told us they only had one room available and it was a twin room. I did complain but was told that was the only room available. We were then told we had to pay extra for our breakfast and do we want to book the breakfast for the 2 days. I said I understood that it was included and the lady at reception just said no very rudely. I then said to the lady ok if that was the only room , there is not a lot I could do as it was a bank holiday and everywhere else would be booked.
I then asked her to book us in their restaurant for our evening meal. Her answer was they haven't had a chef for weeks who would work at weekends, but if we wanted to get a takeaway we could eat it at one of the tables in the restaurant. My reply was we were not told this when booking and it was disgusting. The lady just smiled and said well its been like that for ages.
We were then shown to our room and she went back to the reception.
As we had had a long drive and I was quite tired I decided to have a lay down, as now we would have to drive again to find somewhere to eat. The bed was so uncomfortable I went to get up and one side of the bed almost collapsed. I went to the reception to tell the same lady and her reply was no one else has ever complained about the state of the mattress. In our conversation she repeated this 4 times. I then got quite annoyed and said I will not pay for a room I can not sleep in. Her reply was she would give us someone else's room who had not yet booked in, and when they come to book in they can have your original room. I really feel sorry for the other people as I don't think they will get any sleep as well as no food.
I would never come to this hotel again , it is disgraceful.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Manager W, Receptionist at Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear malcbongo

Thank you for taking the time to rate the Wessex Royale Hotel. Sorry your stay at the hotel didn't reach your expectations.

I'm the receptionist who checked you in. Many apologies that you felt I was very rude to you. On check- in I always state to guests exactly what they've booked, which in your case was a twin room on a room only basis. I could see you were disappointed and annoyed so I checked your booking on the booking.com site to make doubly sure. I didn't say that that was the only room available (there's is no way I would know that information) you admitted that you had done the booking and at that time a twin room was the only room available. At this point I said that if you wish we may be able to move you to a double room for your second night. When I had to inform you that unfortunately we could not serve evening meals at the weekend, as you state in your review above, you were very vociferous and told me that was disgusting.

I showed you and your partner to your room, all seemed good. You returned to reception and angrily said that one of you wouldn't be able to sleep at night as one of the single beds was uncomfortable and demanded a refund. I asked what would you like me to do, I offered to get another mattress but that didn't help. My priority at that moment was to get you and your partner into a different room that you would be happy with. I was able to do that and later when I asked your partner how was your room she answered 'it was lovely thank you.'

I finished my shift late on the Saturday night and early on the Sunday morning rang from home to inform reception that you may want to move to a double room.

Apologies again that you weren't happy with your stay.

Linda

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed here Fri-Monday. Room was excellent, staff were exceptional so much so I asked to speak to the CEO. I was actually given his mobile number which he answered immediately when I rang him from the train station.

I can actually see where all the grace, courtesy and excellent customer service cones from within the family as he went on to tell me about his aunt.

If every hotel was run with this excellence what a happy bunnies we would all be. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

5☆ Thank you to everyone who looked after me

Trip type: Travelled on business
Manager W, Manager at Best Western Wessex Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2018

Dear Jayne

Thank you for your lovely comments. So good to see that you enjoyed all our home-from-home comforts and you found the staff friendly and helpful. We look forward to giving you a warm welcome on your next visit.