All reviews grosvenor hotel richardson group richardson hotels pool and jacuzzi sunday lunch lady on reception three course meal sun terrace lounge bar per night first class booked this hotel fantastic location couldn't fault friendly welcome stayed for one night night stay
Reviewed 17 July 2018

When you book into a hotel with a chefs name, you don’t expect to send your meal back... the first challenge is to chose a meal from the uninspiring menu. The second challenge was for the chef to remove all of the taste, this he accomplished. The third challenge was for the chef to take a ribeye steak, keep it raw whilst ensuring it was fatty and impossible to eat, once again the chef managed to complete this task.

Could breakfast be better? Unfortunately not, packets of Wheetabix and boxes of Cornflakes with large flasks of self service tea and coffee, were on offer. I decided to opt for a croissant, it was heavy and soggy, not light and crisp. Tea was lukewarm and stewed. How could something so simple go so wrong!

Some of the hotel is under refurbishment, but our room was a 1970’s relic with pink and blue coloured bathroom tiles.

Totally disappointed.

Room Tip: Don’t bother
Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carol M
Anne-Marie H, Public Relations Manager at John Burton-Race Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Dear Carol, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review,I am saddened to learn that your stay has not met your expectations, if you would be so kind as to e-mail me your contact details I will forward this on to the general manager for further disscussion. Kindest regards Anne-Marie

Reviewed 12 July 2018 via mobile

On arrival we were greeted (I use the term lightly) by a receptionist who clearly missed the training for “smile” and “greet warmly”. I was then charged £7 for a hotel account which I refused given that I’d offered my credit card details on booking. Our room looked like my granny’s and one of the beds had a dip in the middle so we changed rooms. Aforementioned receptionist was quite helpful actually. It’s quite an art form ... being helpful and not smiling or saying things like “I’m sorry you don’t like your room”. It was better but check out my photos. The bath and sink didn’t match and I’ve not seen those colours since the 70s. The taps had long ago lost their chrome and the hot and cold didn’t match. Clearly a repair was required at some stage and the management thought it looked good! The flush button was fitted to the cistern and not the top (remember that Harry Enfield DIY character??? You’re getting the picture) and the shower head squired out of the sides as well as the holes so I soaked the towels and bathroom. We went to the indoor pool area the following morning expecting the shower to be better. It wasn’t. There was just one shower and no toiletries! The wall lights were old fashioned shaving strip lights and the TV was the size of my laptop. Drawers were falling apart,
Breakfast was dire, with grey scrambled eggs, insipid bacon and gigantic mushrooms that scared the pants off me as they looked like insoles. Carpets were different all over the place. The whole hotel was shabby and poorly maintained. Btw, the frosted glass bit is the bathroom. Yeah, honest.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank deyeightzero
Anne-Marie H, Public Relations Manager at John Burton-Race Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Dear deyeightzero I'm extremely sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, Thank you taking the time to leave your review, we appreciate the time you have taken and will investigate this immediately and where necessary take appropriate actions. I would be most grateful if you could e mail me at mme@richardsonhotels.co.uk so that I can share our action points with you.
Apologies and kindest regards

Reviewed 11 July 2018

This hotel, only a short walk from Torquay sea front, was well known as the Grosvenor, featured in a fly on the wall tv programme. Now as the John Burton Race Hotel and Restaurant, It is trying very hard to shed its old image. We visited in May, as part of a large group, and initially found ourselves in a room near the front of the hotel and close to a fairly busy main road. In the road, just at the front of the hotel, is a drain cover. Throughout that first night we heard every vehicle which passed over that cover! Also, I was on crutches, having suffered a knee injury, and couldn’t access the shower as this was over the bath. The following morning, having explained my predicament, we were moved without hesitation, to what can only be described as a small apartment, consisting of two bedrooms and a superb bathroom with both a bath and very spacious walk in shower. Our room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. Yes, the bedroom furniture was old and rather tired but the bed itself was superbly comfortable and the bathroom, obviously refurbished and very spacious. An added bonus was that this room was at the back of the hotel so no noisy drain cover! We had tea/coffee making facilities in our room, tv, hairdryer and plenty of sockets for recharging phones, iPads etc. The WiFi was good. We had breakfast and dinner in the hotel and both meals were excellent. In fact, the food in the hotel is fantastic. Breakfast was generous and cooked to order so did not sit around getting cold and stale but was served fresh and at its best. There were all the usual cereals, yoghurts and fruit selections and toast you could make yourself. Dinner was selected from an extensive menu and was well presented and, again, delicious. The downside to the hotel is that there is still a long way to go by way of refurbishing the outdoor areas and in replacing the old bedroom furniture. We saw areas where chairs and other items were stacked randomly outside and work appeared to be going on, or had it come to a grinding halt? The patio area was a pleasant area to sit and chat with friends or take an afternoon cuppa or coffee after dinner, but it looked tired and in need of a makeover. The lounge area inside the hotel is furnished with comfortable chairs, sofas and tables and is close to the bar where drinks are priced at normal hotel prices. There are several stairs around the hotel and sadly, no lifts so am not sure how someone with severe mobility problems would manage. What made our stay was the helpfulness of the staff, the amazing food and the close location to Torquay sea front and town centre. An ideal base for exploring the local area if you can accept the hotel’s shortcomings as it strives to reinvent itself.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main road and that drain cover!
Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
Anne-Marie H, Public Relations Manager at John Burton-Race Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Dear Cowslip, Thank you for your review we really do appreciate your feedback. We are delighted to hear that your complaint with your original room was rectified to your satisfaction meaning you could enjoy your stay. I have passed your comments on to Verity our Groups and Tours Manager who was especially pleased to learn that your stay had been a pleasant one. We have noted all the constructive criticism and will strive to make changes as we move forward, thank you again and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Rooms big but old, TV was tiny and did not work because it was a bit windy outside. Not really good enough in this day an age. GYm was just a few bits of old equipment in a hot dirty basement room, staff were nice, parking was easy. Drinks were a about the same as most hotels. Breakfast was average

Stayed: May 2018
1  Thank Edman70

Thank you for leaving your review, we are disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations, in order to investigate further we would be grateful if you could supply us your contact details so that we can gain more information. Please respond to mme@richardsonhotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

Very enjoyable evening. Murder Mystery, with a 3 course meal. Entertainment was very good, as was the food, we were also offered alternatives to the fixed menu.Would highly recommend this for a group for a good evening out.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Alex, Thank you for your wonderful review of our murder mystery evening. We are delighted that you enjoyed the event and we hope to see you in October for our Spooky Ghost Hunter Murder Mystery. kind Regards