1,135 results
All reviews club room free taxi service six courses edwards coaches gb tours course evening meal sea view sorbet on arrival coach parties first class coastal path mince pies spa area evening entertainment standard room the general manager
Reviewed 30 May 2018

Great experience, we really like the hotel and had a great time; we will look forward to coming back.
The hotel staff are lovely and the location is wonderful
A very pleasant experience all round at an excellent price

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Credders
Duchy H, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2018

Good Morning

I am delighted you had great time with us and you found the staff to be lovely. It is nice to hear you are looking forward to another visit, hopefully in the nearest future.

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Stayed here many times. Most recent was May for my birthday. Absolutely love it. The staff are amazing, the food is amazing, the cleanliness is outstanding. Beautiful location . What more can I say. Everyone is so so friendly and helpful. My advise is BOOK IT

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tina6717

Good Morning

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the hotel. I am most pleased you loved your break. Your comments are very much appreciated and I will be passing them to all departments. I hope you will be booking another holiday with us very soon.

Reviewed 29 May 2018

A nice hotel, very good food, very good service but let down a bit by hot water problems in the room and room situation near the kitchen extractor fans and below ground level. Outlook poor compared to most rooms in the hotel. The extractor fans were supposed to switch off much earlier than they actually did, felt a bit like getting ready for take off. Probably only affected me - people who ask for single rooms usually get the dross.
Terrace and gardens very good.
Long walk to town and back, steep, but a taxi service is provided.

Room Tip: You don't want to be put below ground level.
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank mcottage
Reviewed 29 May 2018

Loved the hotel and the location.
Food is good but the experience is rushed and lacks individuality. Service is excellent, very attentive and polite staff. Spa is modern and enjoyable.
Our room was incredibly small and very warm. Cosy is an understatement.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Claire30128
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

My partner and I arrived to the hotel on the May bank holiday. Upon arrival we were astonished at the views from the hotel, the surrounding areas with the sunshine felt like we had arrived abroad.
We arrived before 2pm and was told our room wasn’t quite ready but were assured that complimentary tea and coffee would be available in the bar area which we were told would be brought out to us. After a 4.5hour drive this was a nice touch.
The staff were very friendly, energetic happy people.
The outside eating area was nice especially after a long drive to take the weight off. The weather made it better. Our hot drinks were brought out immediately and then we ordered more drinks which again arrived in good time. When we went to check in again this was very straight forward however my personal details were not kept quiet as we were approached by another hotel guest shortly after our arrival advising us that he had found a cheaper deal which was a little upsetting.
Our room was very dated. Shower tiny and could do with a refurb. Bed was lovely and big. (Two pushed together). With a very annoying lamp that didn’t work positioned in between that myself and partner kept hitting our heads on. The views were amazing. We had the views of the outside gardens and the sea. Rooms were clean but could of done with some attention as it did feel like we had taken a step back into the 1990s.
Despite the temperatures of 22 degrees outside and above the heating was on in the hotel hallways and in the room. We went down to use the spa for half hour in the evening and everything was working except one of the three pools but this was not a massive issue as the spa has a gym, two working hydro pools, sauna, steam room and a hot jacuzzi. The functions worked, lights and bubbles and the temp was perfect.
On the Saturday morning we had breakfast a full English which was ok. Portions were small, food quite salty but was a good meal. We took a trip out after breakfast and returned to the hotel with room that had been cleaned. Downside was our noisy neighbours which we had to complain about. Katie receptionist was very friendly and helpful. She came up and wasn’t sure what to do in this situation as the couple were clearly upset with one another shouting and swearing. But she knocked and asked them to keep the noise down in respect of the other guests. They did continue although they said they would stop.
It was this evening that we couldn’t sleep but put this down to the walking we had done throughout the day. But the beds were uncomfortable. Pillows not comfy, hard mattress. Sunday, Disappointed with the breakfast there were hairs on the food which was brought to the waitresses attention. She offered me another meal which I declined. As I felt rather sick. Then brought it to the managers attention. He sat us down and offered us something to take home although we were staying another night. He said he would speak to kitchen staff and we heard no more. I felt that we was given the cold shoulder after this as he when we passed him he didn’t acknowledge us. Slightly rude. Considering the amount we had paid for our stay.
Pool table broke and this took quite some time to be repaired. Sunday afternoon the sauna broke. Very disappointed as I had been looking to use it after another day of lots of walking/exploring. Lifts broke couple of times too. Toilet difficult to flush and the shower gurgled a lot when not in use.
Torquay is amazing. We loved it there. I would return again and would probably return to the hotel in the future if I was reassured that it had a makeover and some improvements. Thank you to the staff that did make our stay pleasant. For anyone looking to visit the hotel I would say that despite the small adjustments that I feel are needed I would strongly recommend a stay given that the hotel has a lot of selling points such as the staff, amazing location, the areas of the hotel that have been modernised.
Regarding the walking around the locations myself and my partner although young are not very fit and walked at every given opportunity. There are hills into the town and on the return but it is manageable at your own pace. With the added option of the hotel transport, or local taxis. Not able to comment on these as we didn’t use them. If you decide to take the shortcut to Daddyhole plain that says it is half a mile don’t be caught out like we were expecting that this will be an easier stroll as it involves a lot of steps, climbing and being very fit :)
I’m glad that the location gave us the opportunity to be more active and take more of the views in. Paignton Pier is worth a visit too. 20minute drive. Park in pub for £5 all day.

Stayed: May 2018
3  Thank happypea345
Duchy H, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

Firstly, may I say I was disappointed to read your comments. In recent times the hotel has come under new ownership. And with this came a sustained programme of refurbishment, both to the hotel and the bedrooms. Every week there are rooms decommissioned for there refurbishment. But as I’m sure you can appreciate, with seventy-eight bedrooms this cannot be done overnight… But we remain fully committed to the task in hand. Furthermore, the lamp in your room has been relocated, thanks to your feedback.

With regards to your comments that you thought our breakfast was both small and salty. I’m not sure exactly what you had for breakfast? If it was our ‘Full English’ It is a standard breakfast of one bacon, sausage, egg etc but if you had wanted extra of something, you had only to ask and we would have been very happy to accommodate you. But I’m glad you thought it was a ‘Good Meal’

I’m also sorry to hear that you had noisy neighbour’s… I’m pleased to hear that you were thankful to our receptionist Caitie for trying to resolve the situation for you.

Finally thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated as it helps us to improve our hospitality.