All reviews hot tub thatched tavern garden suite roll top bath four poster bed huge bathroom coastal path sea view cream tea boutique hotel no lift first floor agatha christie stayed for nights breakfast and dinner this lovely hotel superior room
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

After a few fantastic visits to the Orestone manor hotel. It fell upon myself to arrange the next family gathering. 7 of us stayed for a long weekend and maximised the use of the great kitchen team. We had all meals at the hotel between visits to local attractions and visits to the local beach.

The food exceeded our expectations on all occasions. We enjoyed the afternoon tea and cakes, which naturally led us to work through some of the extensive range of gin on offer.

Our rooms were very well appointed, spotlessly clean and stylish. We were lucky enough to enjoy a sea view. The bed was comfortable and the shower was nice and powerful.

We look forward to arranging our next stay and cannot thank the staff enough for looking after our every need. The service was excellent throughout our stay, they couldn't do enough to help us.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank owhitehead77
orestone, General Manager at The Orestone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Thank you for your review it means alot to us that you took the time to write a review and that we managed to help make your stay so nice

Reviewed 16 July 2018

Stayed here in May for a 10th Wedding Anniversary treat,.
We stayed in the coach house which was lovely and quirky. Hot Tub is great as is the bath upstairs but you do feel a little exposed. Only let down was the bed which had seen better days, considering the cost I would have expected a high end top of the range pocket sprung mattress or better rather than the lumpy one we seemed to have.
Ate at the hotel on one evening, lovely food and the best.... and I mean the best chips I have ever had but all the food was a real treat.
Lovely location, we walked to Shaldon (which is an achievement considering the hills) along the coastal path.
The only negative would be the personal touches, having mentioned it was a special occasion on the booking I would have thought a boutique hotel may have gone the extra mile to make it a little special (fresh flowers, fruit, fizz or card in the room) but there was no "congratulations" on check in or out which was a little disappointing.
It is expensive for what it is but if you are looking for something different and special this could be the place for you.

Stayed: May 2018
2  Thank kpkiller
orestone, Owner at The Orestone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback, i am glad you had a good time. For our Birthday and Anniversary or special occasions guests we put a card on the table for dinner from us all and write a "Birthday plate" for your sweet course or coffee course. We have investigated may stays and could not find information regarding an anniversary stay.in that room. It is possible we did not know. Upon booking a room it is an option to order flowers or Champagne to be in your room upon arrival.
I wished you had reported the bed the building and furnishings are only 2 years old so if the mattress was faulty we could have replaced it straight away with spares we carry. The mattress has since been changed. I hope you will return for future stays.

Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

I’ve written this review 3 times now! Trip Advisor, sort your website out!!

Orestone manor will only get three stars from me. It was beautiful, the food was amazingly delicious, but a two hour wait past our booked table time in an unbusy restaurant, ignored by staff and given no explanation dragged it down. As did the waitress who served me bread that wasn’t gluten free and a dessert that wasn’t, despite my double checking. She even asked me loudly if I thought she would try to poison customers which was very embarrassing. People heard. She banged our plates down in front of us, snatched them away when we still had our last bites on our forks, and when I checked with someone else and found the food was not gluten free she laughed and shook her head at me. I left the restaurant in tears and a waiter brought another dessert out to me which also wasn’t gluten free. It was a terrible terrible evening and gave me days of pain and illness. When we checked out, the man at the desk said we wouldn’t be able to speak to the manager because they weren’t there, they were dealing with a personal crisis so they would email me when it was appropriate to discuss a resolution and explain what had happened. Not being the kind of people to pry and harass, we took him at his word and began the extremely painful and upsetting journey home. Not at all what you want on your honeymoon. I was so upset, considering it was the only time we would have to be just us, as we have three children and it was hard to arrange childcare, but my husband had to play nurse to me instead of relaxing together and enjoying every second that we could. Because of someone who couldn’t be bothered to double check when I asked them to, and instead lied and then made me cry with their rudeness and didn’t apologise or even hold their hand up to what they had done to me and to us as a newly married couple on their honeymoon. We never heard from a manager, either.

I recommend orestone as a beautiful place, with lovely hot tubs and outstanding food. On that alone I would give it five stars. On the horrible way I was treated and the complete lack of consideration for my allergy and the fact that nobody ever bothered to follow up, I’d give it one star. So, three it is. Would I go back there? Yes, actually, with the assurance that I wouldn’t be “poisoned” again and that their staff were all aware that rudeness and an aggressive nature has no place in customer service

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dionnebunker
orestone, Owner at The Orestone Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2018

Thank you for your feedback, I have been investigating this and will try contacting you shortly. i am sorry I could not respond before but unfortunately I had no knowledge of the problems. This was last year now over 7 months ago and the problems you encountered and reason I was not informed was because of a couple of staff members who covered up for each other Needless to say they have not worked for me for some time now. I will do my best to encourage you to stay again, I thank you for mentioning the good parts as well that you did enjoy, despite the poor service you had received. .

Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night for our anniversary in the Garden room with its private patio and hot tub. Lovely warm welcome. Room was lovely with its 4 poster, hot tub, sea views and large bathroom. So for the room 10/10. Had a nice cream tea on the patio only slight problem was no milk with the tea but no biggy these things happen.

Dinner didn’t start well on going to the bar and being ignored for some minutes by the two serving; ok they were clearly very busy but a nod or apology would have been easy to do whilst preparing drinks. Finally placed an order and had a long wait for their arrival so not a great start to the evening.

However I have to say the cooking was 10/10. All on point, great flavour, textures and seasoned well. Had a lovely anniversary card on the table for us which was a thoughtful touch and most appreciated.

But the service (5/10) continued to not be 2 rosette standard sorry. Not terrible but just slow, unconfident, left for long periods not being checked on, table nearby left not cleared for an hour after the party there had left, (so I was left with that as a view all evening). Long wait between starter and main, salt/pepper not cleared prior to desert etc. Ok little things but just generally just felt a poor service and took shine off the evening.

Breakfast was good and service there great
So a good but could do a little better.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DorzetDave

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased your stay was so nice. I apologise for the Dinner service not being up to our usual polished standard. That night we were short of an out front manager due to unforeseen circumstances and the line Manager on duty had only been with us a few days so I am sorry that service was short of experience that night which as you can see from our reviews is very rare indeed I hope you will return and have the best experience we usually offer

Reviewed 13 July 2018

We recently had afternoon tea here as a belated 50th present for me. The location was idyllic and weather perfect. It felt like we could have been abroad! The staff were very helpful and nothing was too much. Very relaxed but efficient and professional. The tea itself was delicious particularly the warm scones! Couldn't have chosen a better location for my birthday tea and will definitely be going back maybe even to stay. Highly recommend.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple