See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed at the Colindale Hotel for 4 days, from the 2nd of May to the 5th of May. We couldn't have asked for a nicer place to stay.

We arrived in the afternoon, and we were immediately greeted by Barry . He kindly took our luggage and provide tea for us in his elegant drawing room which contains a treasure trove of antiques and interesting books.

After tea we were shown to our room( number 5) which was tastefully furnished and had all the amenities one would wish for including tea/coffee/biscuits and a host of toiletries in the bathroom. It was nice to see these features, as many hotels (notably the chain hotels) are gradually removing tea/coffee facilities in bedrooms in an attempt to make you pay for room service. The room and bathroom were immaculately clean and well presented.

Barry clearly knows the importance of a good breakfast to start the day as he has an extensive breakfast menu. There was a number of different cereals, fruit, yogurt, and fresh juices to choose from on the breakfast buffet. In addition, each table had a little menu which listed the cooked breakfast options. Barry is quite happy to accommodate any dietary requirements( vegetarian, coeliac). Every morning we were looking forward for our scrumptious breakfast! In addition, the room is very comfortable and also has some lovely antiques to admire.

Barry was extremely kind in providing maps & tourist information for Torquay and the surrounding areas, and the location of the hotel is perfect, minutes from both Torquay station and the beach.

This hotel is beautifully decorated in a traditional British style, which makes it very comfortable. It is clear that Barry takes real pride in operating an establishment of such high calibre.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IvanItalian
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We felt very unwelcome at Colindale guest house. From the other reviews I can see when Barry is nice he is very nice, but when he is not in a good mood, he is horrid.
The only person in over 50 places, we stayed on our trip, that we found to be so rude and very nasty. The room we stayed in was called the blue room it was small and cluttered. The bathroom was disgraceful it was so old and tiny. The shower pressure was so weak I wasn't able to wash my hair under it.

Room Tip: Don't get the Blue room. Neighbours dogs barking and train noise Don't come 5min early for breakfast
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Rose62nev
LondonMajordomo, Owner at Colindale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

I find it rather strange that you have waited 5 months before posting your review.I feel I was justified to tell you that you had arrived in my breakfast room 30 minutes early.During your stay with us you constantly found fault with everything and we found it difficult to please you.Your personal attack on me and my establishment will be seen for what it is.The many many favourable reviewers would seem to put your offensive remarks into context!To be told I am nasty and horrid is breaching the terms of this site and I shall be taking the appropriate action against you.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

My wife and I were very lucky in getting a room due to a late cancellation, and what a find for the Bank Holiday weekend. Barry, the proprietor is an absolute gentleman, ably assisted by the lovely Cara! The house is clean, airy & bright. Our room (No 3) had comfortable twin beds, en suite shower room with plenty of hot water. The breakfast is excellent with choice of “help yourself” to start, and an extensive choice of cooked breakfasts, which we can certainly recommend. We have stayed in all kinds of accommodation all over the world but cannot fault the Colindale or Barry’s professional service. We could go on about all the little touches in the house but instead, we recommend you visit. We will certainly be back (and book direct with Barry) to this home from home.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CMRMidlandsUK
LondonMajordomo, Owner at Colindale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Thank you so very much for your kind review.It was a pleasure to have you both here as guests.Cara and I hope to see you again one day.By the way the photo was great ...thank you.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Oh Dear spring to mind.
I stayed at the Colindale. The first morning as i was going down for breakfast a grey cat was walking over the kitchen top.There also got a small dog. The dog was running around the dining room which i don`t think is very nice. The room was in need of a bit of cleaning. as i came by train this guest house was close. Would I choose it again? NO!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steven g
LondonMajordomo, Owner at Colindale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

My rooms are clean see previous many reviews.You don't like animals.Too bad.Go elsewhere then.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

We recently stayed with Barry whilst in Torquay, the house is nicey located in Torquay close to the train station if you do not have your own vehicle. Within 15 -20 minutes walk to the central area with shops and restaurants etc along the waterfront, a very pleasant walk. The room was spacious and well equipped with free wifi and parking was available at the front of the house. The room was also very quiet from street noise as well as from other guests so a very peaceful nights sleep was had. The breakfast offered anything from cereal and toast to a full English breakfast to keep you going all day.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple