All reviews orchid restaurant sea view the penthouse sister hotel waiting staff first class high standard visited this hotel course dinner dining room bit dated nothing too much trouble one night stay couldn't do enough short break visit torquay sea front
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Just spent 4 nights at the Cobyn Head Hotal in Torquay, the staff were wonderful, helpful and always had a smile. The food was excellent and a good choice. The restaurant had white linen tablecloths and napkins and proper coffee.We had a seaview room which had crisp white bedding.The rooms were what you would expect for a 3 Star Hotel, clean and tidy and if anything needed to be replaced the DIY chap was on it straight away, again with a smile on his face. I would not hesitate to stay here again.
Management and staff were excellent.
N. B would also like to comment on a excellent bus service which seemed to run every few minutes, with a bus stop outside the Hotel.

Stayed: November 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank Relax61657882333
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed last night as hubby booked a night away for my birthday. He paid a decent amount of money as he wanted a nice hotel as a treat. The photos on the booking.com website are deceiving. Our room was awful, really dated! A leg was missing off the dressing table chair so I fell over when I sat down. The shower didn't have a temperature control so it was either cold or scorching, which I think is illegal. Then the bed itself had an awful mattress. We were put at the back of the hotel despite asking for a sea view and it wasn't busy. We overlooked a tree! Oh and the railway is right behind and things shook in our room when it went past. This morning workers were doing bits on the railway do we were woken stupidly early with banging and drilling, definitely not a nice birthday treat night away. Thankfully breakfast was included as the menu said £13.95 for a full English and all you got was 1 egg, 1 sausage, 1 hash brown, 1 bacon, 1 piece of toast and some beans. Not a breakfast worthy of the £13.95 price tag. All in all we were very disappointed, torquay has so many hotels and B&Bs on offer so they need to up their game if they want to get bookings and want to advertise themselves in the high end market as high end they are not. We complained as we left and surprisingly got offered a full refund without asking for it so maybe it happens a lot. Hubby was at least happy it was free in the end.

Stayed: November 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L5462DIdonnas
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hotel was chosen by my Canadian tour operator. I did not choose to stay there. There is no elevator in this hotel, so elderly people in our group had to tow their luggage three or four floors up by the stairs. We were first assigned a room in the front of the hotel, on ground level, with tired furniture and no windows that could close and lock properly. We complained at the desk and were given a second room at the back of the hotel overlooking a railroad track. This second room looked like a maid or servant room from the 40s. It was dusty, smelly, very small, with a stained and thin mattress. The carpet and furniture were not better, and there was no working shower. We complained again at the desk and were given a third room in the front with a balcony. The window could close and lock and the carpet was cleaner and there was a working outdated shower. So we stayed there, but the mattress was stained so we ended up sleeping clothed over the sheets. We ate supper and breakfast at the restaurant. The service was uneven at our table : we got our entrées late compared to the other tables, but the waiters wanted to take away our plates rapidly to serve the main course, even though we did not have finished the entrées. Food was ordinary. We did not have much choice (two choices) as we were a group. Had to fight with the waitress to get bread for everybody at our table and her reply was rude (I will bring it when I have time, she said). The views of the sea from the dining room are great, and that's it. The room pictures provided on the hotel Website are misleading. In our group of 40 people, I do not know of one person who was satisfied with the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ok stay food was all right rooms a bit dated not a good choice if you have mobility probs unless you make certain you have a group g floor room.No lift and no one offered to help my elderly parents to carry their bags up and down stairs and corridors to get to our room. We arrived at around 9 pm after driving for 13 hours owing to roadworks phoned ahead and asked if food that we paid for could be kept . This did not happen as we arrived the chef was going off duty they did give us some sandwiches when asked they shouldn't have bothered.....They charges us on another occasion for soup and sandwiches when they shouldn't have it was sorted out when I asked to speak to someone but this all left a bad feeling.All of this could have been avoided the hotel is old dated some lovely views and nice seating areas inside and clean

Stayed: June 2018
2  Thank ANGELA S
Reviewed 28 October 2018

Ok so a lot of people are saying bad things about this hotel and I do understand that when you pay lots of money you expect great things.

This hotel is tired and in need of renovation however the staff are so helpful, friendly and committed to providing excellent customer experience.

Also an all inclusive weekend break is very good value for money.

I must say that the menu could do with a bit of an upgrade and the rooms facing the road would benefit from noise reducing windows but the view of the harbour is breath-taking.

All said my wife and I had a great stay... well done to all the staff for continuing to ensure a great guest stay when they are all to well aware that days are numbered for this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple