2,839 results
All reviews compass bar hotel garage sea view train station agatha christie cream tea lounge bar outdoor pool public areas sunday lunch sea front leisure facilities some tlc bit dated waiting staff short break biscuits
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

Arrived at the Grand hotel and greeted by staff. Free parking available. Our room was small TV not much bigger than a tablet. Our room overlooked the side of the building. Room was very warm told reception. Within a few minutes someone came to address our complaint. Unfortunately, guests are unable to control the heating in the room however, the use of a fan was provided. Breakfast was amazing especially the vegetarian option which went down a treat. Great choice of food in a very nice setting. Torquay was friendly and very interesting. A few extra days would have been great to further explore. I would definitely recommend this hotel but request a better room

Date of stay: November 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2016

Dear Jacqueline M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at our hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your break with us and had a 'Grand time'! It is always easier should you encounter a problem during your stay to bring it to our attention, and allow us the opportunity to rectify any issues, and I am glad the team resolved your issue.

I have shared your comments with the team, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2016

Booked a night away at Torquay for the night whilst visiting the area and thought we would try this hotel out. I wish I hadn't and just dined in.
Firstly - on arrival great attentive staff and very quick to check us in which was great!...Then we made our way to the room.
The room was great...however you can tell this hotel is dated and does need improving. For example: in the bathroom there is some damp on the ceiling and I would ensure that all the menus for the restaurant are in the room to help capture business and keep guests staying their to eat in house.
Restaurant - Excellent service, FOOD AMAZING, great wide variety of items on the menu which is great. Bread is amazing and you can't get enough offered to yourselves!
Bar - Servers were great and a great addition to the hotel.
However....
Room Service - had to ring up 4 times to be told on 3 occasions they weren't serving any room service but then said they were doing sandwiches. So ordered these but then when delivered they arrived incorrect and had to send these back especially as the drinks were incorrect as well.
Better trained staff working at night would be better especially on Room service as staying at hotels often, i know Room Service is usually more busier sometimes than the restaurant. Maybe updating the menu and adding additional items like desserts or something on to would be great!
Overall, amazing food, restaurant staff great, reception staff average. Rooms dated and in need of some renovating.
Would i stay again...NO, but would i eat there again...YES!

Room tip: Good views, Try the restaurant amazing food!
Date of stay: October 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Thomas H,

I am disappointed to read that you encountered problems ordering room service during your stay. We do offer a full room service menu until 10pm daily, after this, as you mention, we do then offer sandwiches, and I do regret that you had issues placing an order, and I will be discussing this with our nights team.

I am pleased to note that overall you found the team, especially in our Food & Beverage areas, to be helpful and friendly, and the food to be of a high quality.

We do welcome all feedback received, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2016

We have been here many times before and always enjoy our stay. She may be a little faded at the edges but the superb food and excellent staff easily make up for that. A lovely position overlooking the sea and the pretty coloured lights on the esplanade make this a favourite of ours.

Room tip: Sea view rooms are worth the extra cost
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear _mary_hillier,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following another stay with us at The Grand.

I am delighted to read that you found the food superb, and staff to be excellent throughout, and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

Travelled from Kent with my mum and collected my daughter who studies at Exeter university on route. Decided this weekend to visit and stay at this hotel because of the murder mystery event and so very pleased we did. The event was very well organised and was a great addition o a superb sit down meal which was included. We stayed for a second night too too look around Torquay and have facials and use the spa facilities. All was lovely the only issue was allowing a kids party into the pool when as an adult you there to relax which I thought was slightly ill thought through by the Spa and purpose of it. The facial was lovely and enjoyed by all.
A second meal and breakfast on both mornings was also included and they was excellent well almost the desert was not so great. Apparently been on the menu a couple of days and now after complaining and others leaving most of it the desert we was assured will be removed from menu. We was in fairness offered an alternative. The staff were all pleasant and helpful too. The room was sufficient with three single beds but could have been a little bit bigger for three adults.
I would most definitely recommend. The awful deserts as shown please do not order if still on menu despite being only chocolate option.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Carol-yottie,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your break at The Grand.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our murder mystery event, and as I have mentioned in a previous one, this is the first we have hosted one in several years, and proved to be a real success, with many positive reviews.

I have shared your comments with the team, and whilst I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy dessert on the second night, I am pleased to note that your stay overall was an enjoyable one.

Reviewed 14 November 2016 via mobile

Wonderful night at the Murder Mystery. The whole thing was so well organised. Thank you so much. The food was amazing, and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Our room was fab. We will be back no doubt. Thank you again

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2016

Dear Sue D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay for our Murder Mystery event!

This is the first time The Grand has hosted such an event for several years, and we were delighted with it, along with the positive feedback we received from everyone attending!

We have already arranged the next one for February 2017, and hope we will see you there!