2,879 results
All reviews compass bar hotel garage sea view train station agatha christie cream tea lounge bar outdoor pool public areas sea front leisure facilities some tlc bit dated waiting staff short break biscuits town centre
Reviewed 7 October 2016 via mobile

Great environment which is the reason I come here often for a drink but the food is awful. Cream teas are always stale, main courses are boring an poor quality ingredients and the deserts are awful and taste factory produced. Wouldn't recommend for anything other than a nice view with a drink.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
SamanthasDavies, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2016

Dear Midnight9898,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am most disappointed to read your comments regarding your cream tea and I apologise for the problems you encountered. I do assure that all products are made to order, and we are a popular destination for both lunch and dinner. I have shared your comments with the kitchen team and do apologise that we did not meet your expectations. We are always striving to achieve the best we can so having your comments are always very important to us thank you.

Reviewed 6 October 2016

Booked for a spa break online no details sent for check in and check out times rang hotel to find out and to check on times for spa treatments. My wife was told that we were ment to ring 4 days in advance to pre book treatments and told no appointments were available for the manicure and split times for other spa treatments. Upon arrival they had sorted out appoint treatments which was fine. Went for a swim and the pool was not very good tiles were missing and it was very cold there was also sand or some other type of residue all over the bottom of the pool. The rooms were in need of decorating and a good clean there was crumbs in the drawers.
The only positive thing I can say is the staff were very friendly

Room tip: book a room with a sea view others overlook the train station and is noisy
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear rostondyer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am disappointed to hear your stay wasn't as smooth as it could have been from the start but I am thoroughly pleased to hear that you got your treatments and that you found our staff friendly. We are continuingly investing in our Hotel, with recent improvements in 2 of our suits, fitting new carpets & new beds in over 15 bedrooms, improving leisure facilities and we are currently part way painting the exterior of the building. I am happy . I have shared your comments with our teams.

Thanks again

Reviewed 5 October 2016

Slightly dated hotel but very clean. Staff were brilliant and the room was very good although a bit too warm. Really enjoyed my stay and both breakfast and dinner were very good. Lovely relaxed atmosphere throughly recommended

Room tip: Try for a sea view if you can
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear BigH2411,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel after your stay. I am very happy to hear that you found our staff brilliant, I have shared your comments with the staff and the staff really appreciate such feedback.

We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 October 2016 via mobile

10 years ago we booked a suite in this hotel for our silver wedding anniversary!
We found little had changed! The bathroom was the same and needed a complete revamp!
No pictures on the walls, very plain, very unusual for a hotel!
The bed and bedroom were comfortable and we loved the view from the lounge over the bay!
The meal on the first night was ok, very small portions but well presented.
We are not sure that we would return to this hotel to stay!

Date of stay: September 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie K

Dear Julie K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel following your stay here. I am disappointed to hear you don't want to return to the Grand to stay but I am happy to hear you enjoyed our views across the bay. We are continuingly investing in our Hotel, fitting new carpets & new beds in over 15 bedrooms, improving leisure facilities and we are currently part way painting the exterior of the building.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

We enjoyed our 2 night break at the Grand. Excellent helpful reception staff - in fact all staff we came in contact with were brilliant. We didn't expect too much from a large hotel restaurant but dinner on both nights was first class - well recommended.

The large lounge bar has a good atmosphere, dim lights and a wood burning stove in one part with amazing views over the sea.

A great position in the town - a pleasant walk along the front to the centre; buses to the rest of Torbay stop outside.

Our room was comfortable with terrific views and excellent internet reception.

Will stay again.

Room tip: Splash out - a sea view room is a must.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Ian W,

Thank you very much for your review following your stay at the Grand. Its lovely to hear the reception team were helpful as this is what strive to deliver. We do have an excellent location and views and I'm glad you were able to take advantage of those during your stay.

We will look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Samantha Davies