2,829 results
All reviews compass bar hotel garage sea view train station agatha christie cream tea lounge bar public areas outdoor pool sunday lunch sea front leisure facilities some tlc bit dated waiting staff short break biscuits
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel late evening. A helpful member of staff gave us help with parking as very limited at hotel itself. Hotel is located next to the train station so easy access for those travelling by train.
The room was a good size with a sea view. All facilities in the room were ideal. The hotel appears to have some areas that need refurbishment but this is clearly indicated on signs around the building.
The brasserie was a lovely place to eat. Views across to the harbour and out to sea. The food was reasonably priced and tasted delicious. Staff were friendly and polite.
We stayed for two nights and had a relaxing break. The gym and pool area was quiet at around 7pm. So a good time for a swim. The outdoor pool was accesible from the gym area.
Overall good facilities, great atmosphere, good food and a pleasant weekend. Would definitely book again.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2016

Dear Clair T,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay with us at The Grand.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and particularly our new Brasserie offering.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

The Grand hotel is situated right opposite the beach which is very convenient for an
evening stroll after dinner. Just a short walk behind the hotel is a lovely park to walk
through which takes you into the small town with plenty of places to stop for a coffee.
The Hotel is very comfortable and food is very good, all staff are helpful and chatty
and always want to please you at any time. This is our 3rd time we have been there
and still want to go back.

Room Tip: any room on the first floor overlooking the sea
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Peter W, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

Dear Rosemary B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your 3rd stay at our hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed another break at The Grand, and do look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 June 2016 via mobile

We stayed for one night and chose The Grand because of its proximity to the venue were were visiting. We were very impressed with the service, staff, food and general ambience of the ground floor facilities - restaurants and bar. However, we were a little disappointed with the room (203), especially as we had paid extra for a sea view - it was, generally a bit 'tired'. Worse was to come when I stepped out onto the balcony - the view was lovely but the surroundings were dire. Not only was it in a very bad state of repair with part of the ceiling on the next balcony collapsing, but it was also very dirty with blackened cobwebs all over the walls and ceiling. The occupants of the adjoining room came out and were equally disgusted. I did report this and have had an email stating that it will be addressed. However, if you are given keys to rooms 203 or 207, please ask to check it out first - hopefully, the work will have been done and you can enjoy sitting out and looking at the lovely view of the bay - although, saying that, the flat roof of the Compass Bar is below the balcony and isn't particularly pretty.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear sunnytraveller2015,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay at The Grand.

We have corresponded separately regarding the balcony, and having spoken to our Maintenance manager yesterday, we have prioritised this balcony for decorating which should be completed within the next 7 days.

I am pleased to note however that you found the service, staff & food to be impressive.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

My husband, daughter and I joined my brother and his wife for dinner in the Keith Richardson Brasserie during their stay at the hotel.
The service was excellent, especially from our waitress Sharron Salvador, who was really friendly and efficient, she was very happy and had a great rapport with all the guests. Nothing was too much trouble for her.
the food was delicious, especially my rib eye steak, and all meals were excellent value for money.
Meals in hotels can be disappointing, but we would definitely recommend the restaurants in The Grand.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

Dear MarchMinx,

Thank you for your lovely review following your dinner in our new Brasserie, and especially your wonderful comments about the food & Sharron.

We do receive lots of comments on TripAdvisor, and it is always pleasing to see one of the team named, and I will be sharing this with Sharron & the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

My partner and I went for a one-night stay in Torquay and chose the hotel because of its location.

I am unable to rate the hotel any higher than average. First impression of our room was how hot it felt. It wasn't the outside weather because it was pretty cool for June. All radiators were off but there was no air-conditioning, so we slept with the window open.

The buffet breakfast was good, but the bar service was poor. I ordered a couple of nightcap drinks and there were few people in the bar because it was late. But it took far too long for two simple drinks to be served. It seemed more important to the bartender to complete his stock-check than to serve his customers.

Overall experience was OK (just) but there was nothing to make us want to return.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear JohnJ-PooleUK,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review following your stay with us.

Whilst I am pleased to read that overall you found your stay to be ok, however I am disappointed to read of your experience in the Compass Bar, and I have shared this with our Bars Manager who is looking into this, and I do regret that this impacted on your stay.