“Good Food After a Shaky Start”
Review of Samphire Brasserie

Samphire Brasserie
Ranked #57 of 762 Restaurants in Plymouth
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 29 October 2017

We had been looking forward to visiting Samphire in Plymouth for some time, so our first visit was eagerly anticipated.

It came as a bit of a surprise when, on arrival, the only waiter acknowledged our presence and then left us standing at the open doorway for five minutes while he worked out a seemingly-complicated credit card payment. We eventually sat ourselves at a table only to be told we had to move to another table as that one was booked. We took the one next to it which seemed identical, but.. whatever.

We ordered drinks but apparently the one I chose, despite being on the menu, isn't carried any more. OK. The first (and only) round was only 275ml bottles and didn't last long. We were never asked if we would like more drinks.

We were going to order a shared starter which the waiter said they only had one left and told the waiter we'd have it if it was still available, but we never got it.

Our main dishes of V Bone Steak and the Bucket for One were both well-prepared, well-presented, plentiful and very tasty, They took a long time to arrive though, during which time other diners arrived, ordered and received their food.

We tried the cheesecake and chocolate brownie for dessert. Again, very enjoyable even though the brownie was a bit stodgy. You know how sometimes in a brownie you get the squidgy bit in the middle? Well, the whole brownie was like that. The sauce and ice cream were lovely and the lemon curd topping on the cheesecake made it very refreshing.

I'm neither vegan nor veggie, but I'm always happy to try veggie or vegan restaurants. Samphire was somewhere I'd happily return to for the quality of the food. The service didn't match the same standards. The restaurant wasn't even half-full but the waiter was struggling to cope on his own.

The decor is what I would like to describe as shabby-chic with it tending towards the shabby side. Also, make sure you check the opening times, as they are not necessarily what you might expect. You can view the times and all the menus on their website.

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

As a non-vegan or even vegetarian - I can still highly recommend Samphire. Totally different from what I was expecting: great fun menu and genuinely delicious "vegan junk food". The service was super friendly and efficient - even when they had warned us we that might have to wait for food as we hadn't booked on a Saturday night. Portions big and tasty, so much so that we had to buy pudding to take home!
And good selection of beers as well as soft drinks. Only caution is that last orders are 8.30pm - so don't be late.

Reviewed 21 October 2017

Being a vegan it is often hard to find restaurants to go and have a decent meal where the vegan option isn't a salad so having the option of an entirely vegan junk food restaurant is honestly a god send.
The food is always fantastic, even my non vegan parents and friends all love the food and can't believe eating vegan can be this tasty! The staff are always helpful, friendly and attentive. Whilst the decor isn't exactly to my taste it does have a certain charm about it but I can easily overlook this when the food is this good! Cannot recommend enough!

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I have been going around Samphire Brasserie for some time and recently I finally went to try it. I must say I was not disappointed.
We ordered burgers and they were delicious! Big thumbs up for this "junk food"!!
In the meantime I have also tried some of the cakes, which I loved as well. Bonus are the homemade cheeses you can buy to take home as well as the Alpro Professional soy milk and other bits.
On top of this, the staff is really friendly and helpful.
I will definitely be coming back!

Reviewed 9 October 2017

Went here before catching the evening ferry and hadn't booked because we didn't know what time we'd arrive after a long drive. Unsurprisingly for 7.30 pm on a Saturday it was fully booked but the nice waitress let us sit on the sofa near the entrance. It shouldn't have been particularly comfortable eating off a low coffee table but it provided a good excuse to pick our burgers up in our hands & lick our fingers.
We arrived back on a Sunday, when unfortunately it's closed, or we'd have gone again.
Wish we didn't live so far from Plymouth!