All reviews free parking great location small fridge in the room real bonus car park city centre excellent breakfast earlier this week owners and staff family run b b the usual amenities few minutes walk comfortable bed original features recommend staying here plymouth hoe tea and coffee making facilities
Reviewed 25 November 2015

Stayed here on and off for a total of about 3 weeks. This place is spotless throughout and Erica and her staff are always willing to help out any problems you might have. The breakfast is well cooked and uses local produce with a large variety of choice on offer.
Location is perfect for the town centre and Barbican,hoe area.
All in all a great value we'll run b&b I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Stayed in rooms 1,11 and 12 all good and comfortable
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Erica T, Owner at Number One, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2015

It was a pleasure having you to stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments - we hope to see you again if business brings you this way in the future.

Reviewed 18 November 2015

The hotel is perfectly placed near the Hoe and Old Plymouth with a private car park. Because it was so central we didn't use the car and could walk to the spectacular sea front or to the local bars and restaurants. The owner was extremely helpful and welcoming and the room was immaculate and perfect for our stay in Plymouth. Breakfast was served in a lovely dining room and I do recommend the 'Full English'!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Erica T, Owner at Number One, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2015

Thank you for leaving your thoughts on your stay at Number One, we're very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again in Plymouth very soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2015

The drizzly Plymouth weather didn't help, but I found my stay here quite depressing. I walked through the door of the B and B to a smell of damp and old bacon, and was shown to Room No 10, which was immaculately clean but incredibly dated with light brown bathroom fittings and a tired-looking bed with marks where lights had been removed. The window was dirty and the view of a car park. An attempt had been made to freshen up the room with nice curtains and a throw, but they just hadn't gone far enough. There was nowhere appropriate to sit in the evening and Plymouth isn't the most suitable of places for single woman travellers to wander around, so I went to bed at 8.30pm. In defence of this establishment, the bed was extremely comfortable, and my breakfast the next day was reasonable, although the atmosphere in the breakfast room was frankly sepulchral and I was in and out in 10 minutes as a result. Nobody was around to see me off the next morning so I left my keys on the desk and let myself out. I got the impression the owners didn't care whether I was there or not - guest compassion fatigue, I imagine.

Stayed: November 2015
Erica T, Owner at Number One, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2015

The drizzle and the dark evenings drawing in certainly is a little depressing. I'm glad you had a clean, comfortable stay, we take pride in our cleanliness and new, high quality mattresses have been part of a rolling programme of maintenance and improvement which includes bathroom renovation room by room. Im sorry if you didnt feel you were given the right attention during your brief stay; you use the interesting phrase 'guest compassion fatigue' which makes it seem as if perhaps you'd had a bad day before you arrived - some guests like to chat and pass the time of day, others prefer their privacy and we try to respond to each guest as individuals. We clearly didn't get our approach right for you and I'm sorry about that. We're a family run business so are at times attending to other matters, however there is a bell at the desk, we're not usually far away and always happy to help. As a B&B you are right that we don't have hotel facilities (nor do we charge hotel prices), but offer good value with free Wi-Fi & parking with many good restaurants, bars and coffee shops within a few minutes walk. We're happy to recommend suitable places close by for people dining alone.

Reviewed 30 October 2015

I stayed at the Number One with family as we needed an over night stay in Plymouth near to the Guild Hall. The owner was very friendly and helpful and when she realised she had accidentally reserved an extra room that we didn't need she kindly offered me the bigger room. Not all rooms have been updated but those that are have been renovated to a night standard and are very comfortable. By far the best part was the beds! It was the best nights sleep I have had in a long a very long time! The breakfast was also adequate and presented well. A full English breakfast is included and along with this is fruit, two juices, cereals and ample helpings of toast if required. It is warm and accommodating and if there was one limit thing I might have added it would simply be a choice of de-caf coffee as well as regular! :)

Room Tip: You may wish to ask for a room that has an updated bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Erica T, Owner at Number One, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2015

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, it's good to hear that you had a comfortable stay with us at Number One. We've had a lot of feedback from guests having had a great night's sleep - a top priority for us. Decaffeinated coffee is available on request.

Reviewed 20 September 2015 via mobile

The receptionist was so helpful and helped us out a lot by having a room available for the weekend. The room was clean and tidy and decent bathroom size. We didn't try the breakfast but every morning it certainly smelt nice! Despite being on a main road you couldn't hear a single piece of traffic even with the window open. Can't really fault this B&B and will defiantly be visiting again.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple