All reviews city centre bus stop function room wedding reception our night stay good size restaurant menu weekend break an enjoyable stay both mornings duty manager flat screen tv main road plenty of parking restaurant staff cooked breakfast stayed for two nights
Reviewed 12 October 2018

This hotel has overcharged by over 700 pounds. DO NOT stay here, DO NOT give them your credit card details - you will regret it. This should have a minus rating and any inspectors reading this review YOU SHOULD STOP THIS HOTEL FROM OPERATING

Room Tip: CHOOSE a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank nickjap
Reviewed 7 October 2018

We stayed at the Buckerell Lodge with Gate 1 Tour. Had dinner in the restaurant our first night and the food was good. The service the first day was great then declined. The room needs upgrade and it was old and humid. The bathroom was big. We have to call to have more lights that were broken and only fixed half. The gardens are lovely.
The day we were leaving they did not have enough food. They did not have coffee. We asked for croissants and they brought a dozen for 40 people. Asked for yogurt the girl replied she was not sure she had any. They had no butter, no napkins nor salt and pepper. No food. What a shame. They were annoyed when we were asking for food. For a group of 40 people we all left hungry and upset. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: Pick room upstairs
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Joe H, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Dear Laura K,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your first night's dinner and found our garden to be pleasant.

I am disappointed to read your feedback regarding your breakfast. I have spoken with our head chef who will take the necessary action to avoid a repeat.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

Hotel looks nice from the outside not so bad on the inside. Room rates were ok. Read through the little guide in the room. It states if you need anything call reception by dialling 0 on the phone. Couldn’t do that because it wasn’t connected. Has to use my mobile to get through to reception because there was a lack of towels in our room. Got no answer. Had dinner in the restaurant to be honest the food was good. Had a few drinks went back to our room watched some telly then decided to call room service. It’s 24/7 from their selected menu which isn’t available in the room. In fact room service stops at 9pm even though it states on their guide 24/7. Very disappointed by it all. Wouldn’t stay here again.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled on business

Dear tayl0rp13,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read of the difficulties you faced in your room. I will work with the team to ensure we take corrective action.

Reviewed 2 October 2018

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 night weekend stay at Buckerell Lodge and have to admit we were quite impressed. We selected the hotel from a choice of others in the UK to use a 'buy a gift' voucher we were given for a significant birthday. Firstly the room. The en suite bedroom was clean and spacious with ample hanging and storage space. The bed was comfortable (to the point my wife rates it as one of the most comfortable hotel beds she has slept in), there was a flat screen TV, kettle with tea and coffee making facilities, iron and ironing board, safe and hairdryer. Basically all the essentials one requires from a hotel room.
The breakfast was reasonable with a selection of cereal, yoghurt, croissants and a 'full English' on offer.
We also had an evening meal on one of the nights and enjoyed the food we chose.
The staff are quite young and do a top job of helping guests have an enjoyable stay.
The hotel has a free car park and is well located for those wanting to visit Exeter or use it as a base to explore the surrounding area.
Some might argue that parts of the hotel are a bit dated, but, be under no illusion this is a clean, friendly and well run hotel and the acid test is would we return. The answer is if we have cause to visit Exeter again, then most definately yes.

Stayed: September 2018
Joe H, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Dear Mike R,

Thank you for your review.

Thank you also for choosing to visit the Buckerell, I am pleased to read you had an enjoyable time and found all areas of the hotel to be pleasant.

I hope to welcome you back to the Buckerell in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed for a long weekend.

Good points

Staff were fantastic. They could not do enough to help. In particular Adam was great, the staff at breakfast were very attentive. You will not find better staff anywhere, and they deserve 10/10

Bad points

The hotel decor is dated and needs upgrading. The chef refused to give me gravy because he wasnt making any when.i had a meal.which was surprising even to the staff

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Darren W,

Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel.

I am pleased to read that on the whole, your stay was an enjoyable one. I will of course speak with our chef regarding your dinner to ensure there isn't a repeat.

Thank you for your kind words about Adam, I am sure he will be delighted to read your feedback.