“Very good value in a well-appointed hotel”

Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I got a very good value deal on the Buckerall lodge hotel through a national newspaper. This is a well-appointed hotel whose services I could not fault; buses stop right outside the gates which will take you the mile or so into the centre of Exeter. The room was spacious and quite smartly decorated; the bed was very comfortable (although the pillows could have been a tad bigger) and just about everything was on hand without the need to call the staff. The only oddity I found (the same as another reviewer of the same place) was that the panel on the side of the bath was distorted, possibly through some leak.
The breakfast, included as part of my deal, was superb, everything having been freshly cooked. The full price of a room and breakfast (not normally included as far as I could see) could make one baulk a little but there we go - can't have everything. All in all, my stay was good value for money and I would not hesitate to recommend it, even at a higher price.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to offer the same degree of privacy, quietness and comfort.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Amlodhi

Reviewed 31 January 2012

A great location if staying in Exeter with plenty of car parking space and reasonable prices BUT my room was not clean, with hairs in bath and sink, light bulbs out and worst of all a dirty bed throw
Had the hotel responded better to my original complaint at reception or my subsequent Comment Card I would have not been so hard in my review but if you ask for feedback you should respond to both the positive and negative - it has now been two weeks since my stay -especially when the ability to contact the customer is made easy by them supplying an email address
My review is obviously out of step with the majority and it must have been a bad day/evening for the hotel as this was my second stay on business, the first being very acceptable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank BristolBigRay
Nick S, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

May I thank you for taking the time to forward your comments regarding your recent visit to Exeter and overnight stay at the Buckerell Lodge Hotel.
As the hotel's General Manager may I personally apologise that your comments made at the hotel during your stay together with the guest feedback card were not forwarded to me so as I could have personally responded to you a lot sooner.
I can assure you that your feedback regarding the cleanliness of your room will be communicated to my housekeeping team and I will ensure that all measures are taken to improve the level and standard of bedroom presentation in the future.
I was however pleased to hear that we did manage to meet your expectation on your earlier visit to the hotel and I would certainly look forward to ensuring you that we would like to have the opportunity again in the future to make ammends for your recent dissapointment
I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel and would ask you to contact me personally on 01392 222620 so as I can make the relevant arrangements for you.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed over at the Hotel while on Business and my room (43) was very clean, nicely furnished and confortable although was a tad cluttered and small. This room is right over reception and the bar so there was loud music until 11pm which is annoying when trying to get an early night. The cleaner also started vaccuuming this area from 6.45am ish so there was no need for my alarm but i was intending to get up at 7am so not a major issue.

I ate in the bar during the evening as the resteraunt wasnt open until 7, whilst food was nice i did feel it is over priced especially for pub grub!

Another potential issue depending on your reason for staying is that breakfast doesnt start until 7. Given the large number of people staying that were on business a 6 or 6.30 start would be preferential for many, even if they only offered a continental option at this earlier time.

All in all nice hotel, surroundings and friendly staff just fell short of being excellent with a few small issues that once tweaked will enhance the experience greatly.

Major plus is also the free WI-FI!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed at the Buckerell Lodge Hotel near Exeter town centre for a very enjoyable three night stay. Arrived at the hotel late afternoon and after parking in the hotel car park booked in at reception, where we were dealt with by a professional and friendly receptionist. Rooms were comfortable with all the requirements for a pleasurable stay, hair dryer, trouser press with ironing board (for those with withdrawal symptoms) and for those who just want to watch, tea making facilities. The first night we had a meal in the pleasant hotel bar consisting of well cooked homemade produce.

This hotel is a great base for visiting Exeter town centre (1.3 miles) and for visiting the surrounding areas, Topsham well worth the visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the buckerell lodge hotel, all in all it was a very enjoyable experience, the room was lovely and clean, overlooking the garden, the food was good, and the staff were both helpfull and friendly, we would certainly go again, ray & jayne

Room Tip: get rooms 1/17 on the ground floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple