“Amazing Chateaubriand”

Ranked #25 of 99 Restaurants in Dartmouth
Price range: US$26 - US$54
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Grill Room is our first floor river view restaurant, decorated in a contemporary style. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Restaurant provides the ideal location for a romantic dinner, lunch with friends, private parties, or business gatherings.
Reviewed 19 September 2016

My partner and I celebrated my birthday at The Grill Room on Saturday evening where we tried, as a special treat, their Chateaubriand. It was absolutely amazing, just melted in the mouth and high recommended. Also having been advised advance by my partner that it was my birthday they bought out a special birthday surprise.

Judy K, Manager at The Grill Room at the Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2016

Dear MissPickwick
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in The Grill Room. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us and that we were able to make your birthday that little bit more special!
We hope to see you again soon.
Many thanks

Reviewed 17 September 2016

great choice of food on menu, well stocked bars. Not the cheapest, but one of the best, good mix of tourists, and locals, well worth a visit.

Judy K, Manager at The Grill Room at the Royal Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2016

Dear Robin B
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience at The Royal Castle Hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Looked good, nicely greeted and taken upstairs. Very interesting building. We ordered two mains, one burger and one dish of the week, a smoked haddock and pea risotto. We ordered two glasses of wine but did not say 175 so ended up getting 250 glasses. We should have said but also you think they would ask as well. My white wine was not cold so had to send back. After about 35 mins ( the couple who ordered there lunch minutes before us had finished) we were still waiting. After mentioning it to a waitress we were given our food. My risotto was cold and dry. Food removed. After 5 minutes we received our food. My risotto was warm but dry and not creamy like a risotto should be. The manageress apologised and offered a sandwich or something else but by this time I just wanted to pay and get out. We were not charged for my main. Just before we left I heard a waitress apologising for the delay to other customers.

1  Thank James M

Dear Jim McColl
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very disappointed to hear that your food was not up to the high standard that we endeavour to maintain and we cannot apologise enough for this. If you choose to visit us again in the future please contact me directly on judy@royalcastle.co.uk so that we can attempt to restore your faith in The Royal Castle Hotel.
We do hope that you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

Only popped in for a pint as we have just moved here ourselves.
A Sunday afternoon pint with my wife, sister and brother in law. Good service, friendly staff and a decent pint at average prices. Well Done

Dear ANDICHARGE
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Royal Castle Hotel. Welcome to Dartmouth! We are happy to hear that we made a good first impression and we hope that we will see you again soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed 12 September 2016 via mobile

We visited the Royal Castle bar for our usual Sunday carvery only to find that it has been stopped and you have to order your meal and its brought down from the Grill room restaurant above the bar or eat there but have to have two courses. The beauty of the carvery is that you see what you get and you can select your own veg and choose how much gravey you have. Reluctantly we ordered from the bar menu and chose two beef dinners. We were told that there was no Broccoli left and it was replaced by cauliflower but not with cheese as that is only for the Grill room! The meals arrived with the bland cauli and I requested that I didn't have the swede mash. My dinner was a disgrace. The veg consisted of one small floret of cauli, one small slice of parsnip, no replacement for the swede and a small burnt Yorkshire pud!
I complained to the manager who agreed it was very poor and replaced the meal.
To have stopped the carvery in the bar is such a misguided decision, presumably to save money in a bar that charges top prices anyway.

1  Thank Sambre01

Dear Sambre01
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very disappointed to hear that you had such a poor experience here at The Royal Castle Hotel, please accept my sincere apologies. Our plated roasts are prepared fresh, directly from the kitchen and we can assure you they are not plated from The Grill Room carvery. The reason for no longer serving the carvery in The Galleon bar is not to save money, but to ensure that the food is fresh as it is very difficult to predict just how many we will serve of an evening in the bars. If you choose to visit us again in the future please contact me directly on judy@royalcastle.co.uk so that we can attempt to restore your faith in The Royal Castle Hotel.