“Misty Weekend away”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in St Ives
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Misty Weekend away”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Although we did not choose the best weekend weatherwise for our trip to St Ives, the hotel more than made up fo it. It is good to stay in a hotel where the owners are on the front line and approachable. So far as the weather is concerened we have no complaints, this, after all, is an early spring period in England and we did have some lovely walks around St Ives and Newlyn, Falmouth and several other places and we did see the sun occasionally!

So far as the hotel is concerned we found it friendly and welcoming in all departments. The bedroom was very pleasant, with all the facilities that we required. Nice bed, which gave us a good sleep, something we rarely find in hotels and pillows which were ideal for us, again a rarity we have found. The bathroom and bedroom were well cleaned each day.

We used the restaurant both for breakfast and dinner. The staff there in particular were extremely friendly and helpful, led by an excellent Manager, Joanne, who always had a smile on her face, but clearly has high standards. We were made to feel welcome right from the start. Having run a restaurant we do appreciate that the front of house staff can have a tough job with some customers but we have always found that if staff are treated with respect then it is returned by them. After all we are all human!

The Hotel clearly has a very good chef and kitchen staff. The food was excellent and we have nothing but praise for the quality of the produce used, the way it was prepared and its presentation on the plate. The Venison and the Lamb Shank we had were particularly good
Well done to you all.

So overall we really enjoyed our stay and will come again.

Room Tip: Room 7 was ours. No room immediately adjacent so no noise from passing guests
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Bucks
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We were returning to Cornwall for a weekend away and booked the Garrack Hotel in St Ives. The hotel is easy to get to and well sign posted.
Check in was really friendly and we were shown to our room. The room was really big with a nice bed and sitting area. A nice spa bath was a lovely extra.
The hotel was a 10 stroll in to town were there is loads of resturants and bars. The walk back is up a hill which isnt a problem but a few times after a few glasses of wine we caught a cab back which was about £4.
I used the swimming pool which again was good with really friendly staff and very quite when i used (5pm on a sunday).
The Bar area was really pleasent and we had a late night drink at the bar and was made to feel at home.
The staff at Breakfast were really friendly and the breakfast was very good (tried both the cooked and the kippers) loads of toast and coffee.
The one thing that sticks in my mind is that the hotel uses lots of local goods which is what you want as a vistor and a local.
All in all a very good hotel at a good price in St Ives.

Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 24 February 2012

The Garrick sits up on a hill with lovely sea views and quiet rooms. Somehow I expected a special place from all the reviews yet found it quite uninviting. Strangest thing. Stayed 10 days.My sense of the place didn't change. Alas.

Here's my take...keep in mind everyone is different. And, I am a single traveler although I do travel a lot.

For the price paid I am used to much more comfort in the room. No internet reception, no bathrobe or slippers. Usually, toiletries are replenished daily, not here. I do respect the idea of moderation and respect for the environment but waiting until the tube is empty leaves me with a sense of stinginess.

Breakfast was included in the price, however, and it was a full, bountiful assortment but there was little ease in the dining setting. Almost as soon as you sit they want to know if you want anything prepared hot from the kitchen and whether you'll be there for dinner. It felt invasive. A leisurely breakfast atmosphere is something delightful and in such beautiful surroundings it would be a perfect way to start ones day.

I'd say timing was not their forte. Especially at dinner, the food came swiftly, hardly any waiting between appetizer and main course, a bit too rushed for my liking. Still, the unusually high end cuisine tempted me to return. The meals were superlative for the most part. The chef had some real masterpieces. He might reconsider the portions he serves, I was reminded of Top Chef presentations, one or two bites on a plate for the judges rather than a full and savory meal. I wasn't there to judge but I was there to eat. However... excellent, exciting morsels!

Rooms were kept orderly but not necessarily fully cleaned or replenished. Several times II found the vacuuming had not been complete, my teas had not been refilled, and my cups and spoons not changed. Twice in ten days, towels I'd left to be changed were simply hung up to be reused and the second time I said something. That was a first!

YES, YES, YES for the SPA~ YES, YES, YES! Maria was wonderful. She is passionate about her work and takes the necessary time for your treatment. This is not a 'watch the clock' conveyer belt Spa experience. I think those of you who try it will be pleased. I definitely found it one of the highlights of my stay.

Room Tip: Not sure if all rooms were sea views but you definitely would want the view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank R0shanna
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We found this hotel by accident after arriving in St. Ives with no reservation during a music festival that left few rooms available. They gave us a great rate even though it was their last room. The view is terrific and the room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast and dinner was excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2012

A relaxing stay we love St Ives walking on the beaches and visiting the surrounding area and other beaches.

Excellent food in the restaurant and good to be in a family run hotel with friendly staff