“Good pub grub”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2018

We ate here recently whilst on holiday. The food was good pub grub and very fresh. the beers were good too as was the atmosphere although a little dark. Would be happy to go back.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

I came across this little pub during a walk along the Penzance seafront. Tucked down a side-street, through its window I spotted the menu with my favourite Italian meal – seafood linguine! So, I immediately booked for 8.00 p.m. that evening I arrived at 7.50 and was seated in the corner of the cosy bar. I ordered immediately, then refreshed with a half of local beer, I waited in anticipation of my meal. Fifty minutes later it arrived, bearing little resemblance to its description on the menu, which said it would have ‘a rich tomato sauce with just a hint of chilli’. My sauce was a thin, watery, pale pink affair lacking any seasoning – except the chilli – which was there in abundance, so much so that my lips were still burning when I left the restaurant. Unsurprisingly, I left no tip, and refused to pay for my beer and a small glass of wine, which I felt was some small compensation for a meal that really didn’t meet the menu’s promise.

Reviewed 6 September 2018

When we visited in 2017 the food was well above usual pub fare. I heard it had changed hands but we went back again (in 2018) to see if the chef was still there and the food as good as it used to be. Unfortunately not, chef's move on I guess - found the food ok - about the same as other Penzance pubs but not nearly as good as before.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Had passed this Pub a few times..always looked busy.Called in for a drink checked out the menu and was able to get a table after a short time. Wasn't disappointed. Staff (Matt) and another lady (curly hair) were very welcoming and felt as if we'd known them for years. Ordered our meal..mine was a burger homemade...nicest burger I have had for a long time. My husband had Soup, followed by Scallops which he thoroughly enjoyed. Only downside was a lady (Catherine) who was rather loud on her phone for a least 10 minutes at the bar! Otherwise a lovely evening...we returned the following 2 evenings for a drink.

1  Thank Rose B
Reviewed 28 August 2018

After reading good reviews of The Navy Inn, my sister and I booked a table for eight o clock. We were a little early but our table was ready and we were able to eat a little earlier than planned.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and extremely obliging. However, I was quite alarmed to see no vegetarian options on the menu which were suitable for me.
I had to have a cheese salad and new potatoes after having cheese fondue for starters. Hmmmm! But my sisters fish and chips were lovely apparently and beautifully presented.
The waitress was very pleasant despite the fact that she seemed rushed off her feet as it was very busy. And there wasn’t a great deal of room to move.

More veggie options would be good hence only three stars. But the pub is very nice and staff very friendly.