“Amazing afternoon tea ”

The Bay Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 195 Restaurants in Penzance
Price range: US$19 - US$72
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Bay in Penzance is a relaxed, airy and modern restaurant with a cheery atmosphere. The evening menu is seasonally updated and the All Day Dining menu includes a daily changing Menu De Jour. The restaurant prides itself on locally sourced produce from locally caught fish to dairy and meats from local farms. They even have Cornish wine! In the summer months guests can eat on the outdoor deck with stunning views across Mount's Bay and over the rooftops to Penzance harbour.
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

My sister in law booked afternoon tea for my mums 60th birthday. There were 7 of us in total including 2 children. Beautiful decor, lovely view over Penzance. We were welcomed by the owner, then shown to our table by the waitress. Wonderful selection of finger sandwiches, and they would give you as much tea as you could drink. Absolutely fantastic place, will be returning next time I visit Cornwall

Date of visit: October 2018
ManagerPenzance, Guest Relations Manager at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2018

Dear Guests. thank you for your amazing review and glad the team made your occasion a special one to remember. We look forward to seeing you again when next in the Penzance area.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Everything on paper looked great, lovely setting perched high up with a great view of the bay, a little rushed when ordering and dishes were warm but not hot, steak was not the best and the dish my wife had.....the steamed Pollack with a vegetable Nage ( the crabmeat was missing due to no delivery / availability and a substitute fish was supplied) was a little bland, she did not enjoy it at all, I was there on business and as such asked for separate bills.....some time later when doing my expenses I noticed they overcharged me for my dinner....I had the steak Bavette and they charged me for the Sirloin... £5.55 more, I'm sure this was just an error but it just put the cherry on a mediocre dinner

Date of visit: September 2018
ManagerPenzance, Guest Relations Manager at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2018

Dear Guests, I am saddened to read your review and sorry that your wife was disappointed with her meal. If you would care to ring a member of the team we will be able to investigate and rectify the mistake made on your bill. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

I found afternoon tea at the Bay Restaurant at the Penzance Hotel on Groupon. We have afternoon tea at various places at least once a month, we were staying in St Ives for the week and decided to give the Bay Restaurant a try. We sat outside in the terrace which overlooked the sea, the view was beautiful and there were heaters in case it became chilly. We were given a choice of 4 sandwiches and had 2 rounds each, made on lovely bread and generously filled. There were also macaroons, profiteroles, apricot tartlets and carrot cake all delicious and obviously home made. Then there were the scones, living in Devon we have more than eaten our fair share! Wow these were the lightest and buttery we have ever eaten with generous amount of jam and cream. Everything was served on high quality bone China and was accompanied by a large cafetière of good quality coffee. We will definitely be returning in December

Date of visit: September 2018
ManagerPenzance, Guest Relations Manager at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2018

Dear Guests, we are all very happy you had the best afternoon tea ever. Glad you enjoyed your dining experience and we all look forward to seeing you again in December, if not before, to enjoy more of the same, when hopefully you will be able to sit on the terrace again and enjoy the spectacular views across Mounts Bay and beyond.

Reviewed 21 September 2018

went in there on Monday, as we were on holiday so we were looking for somewhere nice place to eat a dinner as we had a lunch in another seafood restaurant. After seeing the review on TripAdvisor we thought of going in. The atmosphere was lovely as being a seafood lover we order two main fish dish one was tandoori style fish marinated in yogourt and the other one was white fillet.... something I can't remember the name. It was so bland, also order the non-alcoholic mocktail although they didn't that drink on the menu but the waitress said they can make one for me it taste ok!!! but seriously £7 for mocktail are u kidding me the alcoholic cocktail was £8 something I should have just ordered the cocktail if I knew it will be £7 for the mocktail. Just two main and 2 drinks came up to £50 just want to say it's too expensive

Date of visit: September 2018
ManagerPenzance, Guest Relations Manager at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2018

Dear Guests, Your comments have been noted and will be investigated.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

The food was enjoyable, the reviews hyped it up a bit as I personally didn't think the food wowed me. The staff were polite, but that is as far as it went. We visited here on the 2nd September 2018.

We felt the reviews have over hyped it up a bit.

2  Thank Siangiles1
ManagerPenzance, Guest Relations Manager at The Bay Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Dear Guests, We are happy you enjoyed your dining experience on what was a special occasion, and glad the team were polite during the evening service. Your comments have been noted and other reviews reflect diners honest opinions which are their own perception of their dining experience, and we trust you had a safe journey onward.