All reviews apartment block watergate bay hot water great apartment sea view short walk to the beach sky tv apartment was clean dishwasher tablets self catering perfect location bunk beds bank holiday a lovely stay keys dog surfing
Reviewed 10 October 2008

My partner and I spent 4 days in the Waves apartments (Waves 29). The apartment itself was lovely, well furnished and clean. They are in a perfect location a few minutes walk from Watergate Bay.

However, be warned! The hot water system is set so it is 'off-peak', obviously to save money which means when guests arrive, the hot water doesn't work. We arrived on 4th and didn't have fully-functioning hot water until midday on 6th despite many phonecalls and chasing.

We originally contacted Holiday Homes Management (who I believe manage the property on the owner's behalf) on 5th who assured as they'd fix it that afternoon. When we returned, the hot water still wasn't working. I then called them again, they said they had fixed it and couldn't understand why it wasn't working. I then rang the hotel to complain who kindly offered us a room to shower in (as we hadn't had a shower since we had been there). They said that the apartments weren't their responsibility but they could help us by offering us the room to use for a short time.

I finally managed to speak to the Beach Retreats manager who said the earliest they could get someone round to fix the problem would be Monday 6th before 9am. The maintenance man came at 9.30am and said this had happened before and the system is very complicated. He finally reset the system and we could have a shower.

We were very upset as we were there for my partner's birthday and had to spend most of the time on the phone or hanging around for someone to finally rectify the problem. Once the water was fixed, nobody rang me or called round to make sure everything was ok.

After our stay, I emailed the manager to voice my concerns only to be told that the problem was beyond their control.

It was such a shame as the place is lovely. Be warned though that if a does problem arise such as ours, not to expect any token of apology or refund. This doesn't seem to be something they consider. Also be expected to chase them to rectify the problem as they seem very happy to let you get on with it.

Suffice to say we won't be going back! I'd certainly reconsider if you have small children where problems like this could be a real nightmare.

Date of stay: October 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank rd134
Reviewed 28 September 2007

As an alternative to the Watergate Bay Hotel, we stayed at the Waves Apartment Complex next door but one. You can find the details on the Watergate Bay website.

We stayed in September with 2 friends, and rented the 3 bedroom duplex Penthouse. It was wonderful. The decor is as you would expect, be warned though, the spiral staircase can take some negotiating. If you don't mind self-catering, or plan to eat out all the time, this is the perfect place to stay. The Master bedroom was well appointed, nice big comfy bed, and plenty of wardrobe sapce. Ithad en-suite facilities which were adequate. The 2nd bedroom was not huge, but OK and the third bedroom would be ok for kids (bunk beds) and very little storage. Upstairs the main living area was comfortable with leather sofa's DVD, Sky and a pleasant (but small) area for dining. Fortunately this was more than made up for by the large balcony dining area with views over the wonderful Watergate Bay itself. The kitchen had everything you would expect including Microwave and Dishwasher. However, you don't stay here to stay indoors. The complex is designed with the beach in mind, there are helpful storeage areas for surf boards, wet suits and kite buggy's which helps keep the sand out of the apartment. There are also showers which are great for washing down equipment and wet-suits. Some of the apartments allow pets, and Watergate Bay is open for well behaved dogs all year.

You have the Extreme Academy on hand, and I can't praise these guys highly enough. They are professional, knowledgeable and helpful. We booked Wave Skil lessons with them, and this was definately one of the highlights of our trip. We subsequently hired wet-suits on a daily basis (very cheap) and body boards to make the most of the excellent surf.

The famous Fifteen restaurant is a few yards away and we had a great meal here. At £50 per head for the tasting menu it's not cheap, but definately worth the money. The view is amazing and the people who work there are doing a great job. If you fancy something cheap and cheerful, the Phoenix Pub is a great venue to meet other people and compare experiences. We didn't eat here, but the food we saw looked good with enormous portions.

We loved Watergate Bay and will definately return for another stay in the Waves Apartment complex.

Date of stay: September 2007
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank DJJones