1,007 results
All reviews shearings holiday coach driver shearings hotels sea view per person per day self drive cider farm tolcarne beach refurbished room entertainment room chef's specials third floor evening entertainment buffet breakfast enjoyable holiday hotel staff meal times
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I recently stayed at the Bay Beresford Hotel , Newquay with a friend on a Shearings 8 day coach trip. This was my first Shearings holiday and I had read mixed reviews of them previously. I can honestly say this holiday was a delight from start to finish.
The transport organisation was faultless with a very comfortable 2018 coach. Our driver, Steve, was very efficient, giving us just enough information when needed.
Registration at the hotel was swift and efficient, considering there was a coach full of people arriving at the same time. Our rooms and bathrooms were spotlessly clean, towels changed as needed and promptly cleaned each day whilst we were at breakfast.
The food and choices were very good but I had requested vegan food so was unsure how this would work out. I needn’t have worried as my food was amongst the best vegan food I have ever tasted. I was presented with my own menu choices each morning for that day’s evening meal. I can’t praise the food enough, beautifully presented by the excellent chef Phil, he really was exceptional.
Our waitress was Jessica, she was absolutely delightful, very efficient, professional and always with a smile on her face, no matter how busy the restaurant was.
We enjoyed all the trips out, very interesting. One trip was with a relief driver, also called Steve, he had the coach in stitches with his jokes, we had to curtail our laughing so that we didn’t miss the next joke.
To sum up I would certainly recommend a Shearings holiday and most definitely to the Bay Beresford in Newquay, all the staff are an absolute credit to you, thank you very much. Margaret Quinn.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Mrs Quinn

Thank you for your great review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your first Shearings Holiday and very much hope that you will now continue to travel with us.

I will make sure Phil sees your review, he takes such great pride in his food and his kitchen and it is great when a guest appreciates his hard work. As you say, Jess is also a delight and she is always smiling.

Thank you again for the recommendation and for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed at The Beresford whilst on a 7-night trip with Shearings. We used to live in Newquay so we spent most of our week revisiting old haunts, friends and neighbours. We had a room with a sea view which added to the enjoyment of our stay.

My title describes our stay in a nutshell. All the staff are lovely, especially Jessica in the dining room who looked after us very well. Our driver, Chris Mitchell was also fantastic and professional although we only did one excursion on the coach.

The hotel is very old and needs extensive refurbishment. This, of course, will take time and money. In the meantime, there were some things which could have been improved on. Windows at the back of the dining room were very dirty, just a chamois, stepladder and water could have put this right. Our blinds had very rusty cords, each time we drew them we were left with rust on our hands. Banisters need painting in several places. The lift is inadequate for the number of elderly and disabled people who stay in the hotel. The dining room is understaffed and a wine waiter would be welcome. We also couldn’t get the heater in our room to work on the one night when it got chilly.

I still think The Beresford deserves 4 stars, especially if refurbishment takes place and the staffing levels are increased.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
NewquayBeresford, General Manager at Bay Beresford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Rosamund

Thank you for commenting on trip advisor about your recent stay with us.

The Beresford was built at the turn of the last century and it constantly being upgraded to meet the requirements of todays visitors, but as you say, this takes time but with investment every year, it does get better!

Jessica will be delighted to have been mentioned by you and I will make sure that she sees the review.

Reviewed 13 September 2018 via mobile

Arrived 8th September for 8 days.
Bedrooms are adequate and comfortable, and towels changed
Daily. The waiting staff are very good, and as a guest I needed a
Gluten free meal each night which was provided. All other staff were
also very good. Our coach driver CHRISTIAN was a mind of information as well as a budding comic . The trips were very good and virtually covered most of Cornwall.
Shearings provide a good weeks holiday, and we have been on many in the last few years.a

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank John S

Hi John

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the staff to be very good.

Newquay is a great base to explore Cornwall and I am glad that you got lots of information from Chris.

Reviewed 13 September 2018

Another fabulous ‘Shearings Coach Holidays’ annual excursion.
The trips with driver CHRISTIAN MITCHELL have been superb with his comic, yet informative narratives, in the voice, and style of David Attenborough, calling at a very interesting and varied itinerary.
The hotel offers an excellent cuisine, with a breakfast affording the best quality bacon I have ever had. Our waiter, Marius offered a speedy and friendly service, and our free 4 drinks tokens, in a varied selections of drinks in a friendly bar, offering a daily evening cabaret artist, entertained grandly the older clients, making ‘a night of it’ in a friendly casual atmosphere. Rooms, although somewhat dated, offered a reasonably comfortable accommodation, thankfully, of a quiet nature too! Pleasant lasses provided an excellent daily room service, and reception staff good too.
More storage room for one of my pal’s ‘extensive wardrobe’, would have been appreciated, and my small tv not the greatest picture quality, but I didn’t come for the ‘!ele’!
One very annoying thing about the otherwise superb coaches was the prohibitive dark windows, which do not afford clear viewing, confusing ‘viewers’ with bifocal vision, (reflections x not the true aspect)....please remove ‘the heavy shade’ to allow normal viewing, through the side windows without distortion!
Overall....thanks, one and all, for a super holiday! (Coach 737 seats 1a,b and c).

Stayed: September 2018

Hi Brian

Thank you for a great review, and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I have never heard of the issue you had with the shaded windows before, but will bring your comments to the attention of the traffic department.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

I just come back had a good time .food l had was good i like jj he was very good keep him if you can. Cant wait to.come back next year and can i have s shower in my room. Please. All the staff was good.
A seagull come ever day out side my window some one feed it before i come

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo

Hi Joanna

I am sure that the seagull will come back next year as soon as you hold out some food!

JJ Wilde is good isn't he, I love his trombone playing.

Just give us a ring next year before you come to make sure you get the right room for you.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.