All reviews silver service tolcarne beach turret room sea view traditional hotel family run hotel bit dated the cliff third floor great position large room family room swimming pool booked this hotel friendly hotel bed and breakfast cooked breakfast
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

Lovely staff on reception, we turned up a bit early, they checked to see if our room was ready. It wasn’t, they were apologetic, no problem as we were early, sorted the car park permit so we could wander off for a look around.

On our return the book in was easy and off to our room we went. The corridors hinted at basic and reminded us of accommodation we have stopped in when away with youth organisations. The room itself was not bad, basic, wood chip wallpaper etc. Windows were the original sash windows that rattled and with peeling paint. Bit of a hazard if you had a young child with you. The bathroom!!! Oh my goodness, I have ripped out bathrooms 2 decades younger than this! How the hell you can charge the rate they do at this hotel with this standard of accommodation is beyond me.

I have also raised a serious data protection issue with Best Western regarding this hotel. I have received an acknowledgment e-mail but nothing further.

The staff were wonderful, breakfast was nice but the hotel is so dated and I’m sorry it didn’t offer value for money as far as I am concerned.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
christineI5458OQ, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

The hotel has been working through a refurbishment programme which saw our first-floor sea-view rooms receive newly fitted bathrooms prior to the start of the busy holiday season. This programme was halted for our busy Summer season and we will recommence at the beginning of November starting with the upgrading of our Cocktail Bar.

I am pleased to read that our reception team and staff in general were wonderful and that breakfast was nice.

I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectation regarding value to money but would hope that you would look to visit again in the future when our refurbishment programme has been completed

Reviewed 14 September 2018

Shame on us - it took us nearly 40 years to make a return visit to this wonderful hotel and we are so very glad we finally made it! The Bristol is a rare gem in this age of “Boutique” hotels and characterless chains. We were made welcome by every member of staff we met; nothing was too much trouble and to be honest we felt totally pampered. The room was spotless and had a lovely sea view. Our stay included a cream tea, bottle of prosecco, full breakfasts and 3-course dinners - all silver-service in the beautiful restaurant. The food was fabulous and we really could not have asked for more. The restaurant staff were excellent, attentive and friendly. In a nutshell, the Bristol offers old-fashioned quality and service in a lovely setting - almost a bit of a time-warp and in our opinion, all the better for that. We intend to make a return visit very much sooner than in 40 years!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for such a splendid review.

We are so glad to read you had a wonderful time and felt "totally pampered".

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

I stayed in this hotel for business this week. From the moment myself and my colleagues saw the building our hearts sank! It got progressively worse as we entered, and even worse when I got into my room! Old, tiny, smelly, dated and depressing. The bathroom was like something from the 1950's and once I built up the courage to turn the shower on, the smell was vile. Bare wires going into the 'towel rail' were a worry too. Nowhere decent to sit and have a drink before heading out. Breakfast was average but the staff in the breakfast room were nice. I always know the receptionist is used to complaints when he/she doesn't ask how your stay was when you check out.... not even eye contact! All in all pretty horrid.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
christineI5458OQ, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am sorry to see that we failed to meet your expectations.

If you had bought this to the attention of the Duty Manager whilst at the hotel, we would have happily looked to relocate you in an alternative room if possible.

The hotel has been working through a refurbishment programme which saw many of our first-floor sea-view rooms receive newly fitted bathrooms. This programme was halted for the busy Summer Season and we will look to recommence this programme starting with a refit of our Cocktail Bar in November.

Its lovely to see the staff serving breakfast were nice and friendly. Moving forward it would have been helpful to know how you felt we could improve breakfast.

Our reception team are generally very friendly, helpful and attentive. I am surprised to read you were not asked about your stay. This will be reviewed with the team at their next meeting.

Reviewed 12 September 2018

I first stayed here as a young child with my parents in the 1940's!! I have been returning on a regular basis ever since and it just gets better with each visit. There have been considerable updates and refurbishment with the 75 rooms all en suite. Dinner B&B is a great and cost-effective option with an excellent evening meal menu in the large dining rooms offering views over Newquay Bay. Staff are superb and welcoming from the moment you check in at Reception. The "Young Family" (now 5th generation!) run a 5* establishment although it is only listed as 3*!! The hotel has a large indoor swimming pool, sauna, massage, hairdressers and several lounges including a well stocked lounge bar. Guests have a private car park at the rear of the hotel and it is located within a 10-minute walk of Newquay town although far enough out not to have the hustle and bustle of life in this busy seaside resort.

Room Tip: Seaview front on second floor
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
christineI5458OQ, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Hotel Bristol, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Thank you for your review.

It is wonderful to read you came here with your parents in the 1940's, and have been a regular guest ever since. I am pleased you like the updates and refurbishments taking place at the hotel.

Many of our guests enjoy Dinner Bed & Breakfast and find it cost effective.

Our staff will be happy to know you found them welcoming and superb.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2018

Not very welcoming found the staff in dining room rude food not quiet nice we were on a coaching holiday seems that the management take a lot on dining room hotel guests private functions 2coachs staff over worked hence stressed out room very dated did send a message on Friday to mr Howard young managing director as yet no answer back all in not very happy would go back to Newquay but never to the hotel no meet and greet on coach no small talk on coach to say good buy nothing made to feel we were in way and intruding on the staff as can be seen put don't no on hotel style not worth a star

Room Tip: Keep traveling
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sandrasmith60

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations.

All our coach guests are greeted with a complimentary local drink when they arrive and collect their arrival form and key at reception.
During this time the tour guide normally explains information relating to the hotel breakfast time etc.

We are upset to read you found our restaurant staff rude and food not to your standards. Your comments have been noted and these will be reviewed with the team by our General Manager. All our staff pride themselves on being friendly, helpful and attentive, which can be seen on many reviews and I can assure you your comments will be investigated.

The hotel has been working through a refurbishment programme which saw many of our first-floor sea-view rooms receive newly fitted bathrooms. Our programme was halted for the busy Summer Season. We are looking to recommence this in November stating with our Cocktail Bar.

On the last evening, a complimentary drink was given to your group with Dinner.

We appreciate all feedback and will work with this to improve our customer experience.